Jeremy Clarkson Suspended Over Fracas

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I had an Euro for every time "talent", be it in front or behind the camera, threatened to have me fired during on-set arguments, I'd be a millionaire. Film production is a high-stress environment. People snap all the time and say all kind of stupid things. You calm down, have a pint, and get on with live. That's how it's always been and how it'll always be.

If I had an Euro for every time "talent", be it in front or behind the camera, threatened to have me fired during on-set arguments, I'd be a millionaire. Film production is a high-stress environment. People snap all the time and say all kind of stupid things. You calm down, have a pint, and get on with live. That's how it's always been and how it'll always be.

Then this would be common occurrence on Top Gear. Did no-one not get really stressed to the point of exploding trying to figure out how to get themselves out of the Falklands mess?

His reaction to the people 'asking a selfie' was : "No, not after the day I had" sais it all really......as I understand it this was before the incident, so you have been on a shoot all day, thing gone wrong, lots of stress, you are tired, people were being idiots, you feel to old for this shit, all you want is a steak, a pint and to go to bed....

I think we have all been there, hell I come home like that a lot, but in this case you find out there is no food, so you blame the guy responsible, he responds with the wrong thing maybee? Does not take it seriously? A million things can be enough to get you to snap at this point.....I would.

Personally if I was at the end of a long and stressful film shoot where I hadn't eaten anything for most of the day, I'd make it priority to get myself food. What I'm hearing is he went to the pub to drink. I wouldn't do that, go and drink alcohol at a pub on an empty stomach and return to the hotel to find no food.

Then this would be common occurrence on Top Gear. Did no-one not get really stressed to the point of exploding trying to figure out how to get themselves out of the Falklands mess?

That's a very different situation. You form a cohesive unit in a situation like that when presented with an outside aggressor and once the stress is over you share the relief together too, usually over many beers. The "fight or flight" response provokes the production of endorphins as well as adrenaline so anger isn't an over-riding emotion. It's why extreme sports people do what they do.

We tend to react in a worse fashion when the perceived stresser comes from within a trusted circle rather than from outside it. It becomes a whole lot more personal to us since the bond of trust is broken. Anger is primarliy caused by pain (physical or mental), frustration or fear and often in combination. In this case the frustration is obvious (can't have a steak) but the other two enter the equation in lesser amounts. If it is true that they were delayed because they went for a pint or two before flying back then even if a level-headed Jeremy would be the first to admit that is was his own stupid fault he couldn't have a hot meal, the tired, stressed, slightly drunk version with low blood sugar is going to react in a less reasonable fashion.

Perhaps this has already been referenced in one of the many links here, but I was unaware of the timing and the fact that Clarkson, himself reported the incident. It is really difficult to find the time to go to every link posted, so I find it helpful if the person making the post quotes the key portion from the article along with their link. If this is repetitive, I apologize but I think that both facts change my assessment of the situation. The incident apparently took place last week, specifically on Wednesday, March 4th (again sorry if this is old news to hardcore followers). This means that nobody reported or discussed the altercation until after the last episode aired, including Tymon. Then there is the fact that Clarkson reported the matter on his own directly to Danny Cohen, who by all accounts dislikes him intensely. I have no idea of what Jeremy's intentions might have been for going to Cohen but it feels odd to me. Perhaps he came forward to get ahead of an inevitable story, but why five days later and to Cohen of all people? The fact that the production and a live airing took place during that time suggests that this has not affected the working relationship between the host and crew; certainly not to the point of preventing them from finishing out the season.

Clarkson_Danny_Cohen.jpg

After a hard day driving in luxury cars, making funny faces, three hours at the pub, and chauffeured by helicopter to your luxury hotel, is it really to much to ask your bitch to have a hot meal on the table? I think we all can relate. What do you tell a producer with two black eyes? Nothing you haven't told the bitch twice already. What do you call a producer with one black eye? A quick learner.

Last edited:
Just read this which I suspect was penned by one of our very own.

Just read this which I suspect was penned by one of our very own.

Yes, Webmonkey noted up-thread that he was the author.

This just gets weirder and weirder. Now BBC apologizing for pulling the show.

With this season, the show is broadcast on most foreign licensors within 24 hours of it's airing in the UK, so nine-figures worth of people are going to be wondering why there is no episode on Sunday/Monday.

And there are evidently not-insignificant financial penalties that will come into play against the BBC because the show did not air as scheduled.

Last edited:
I would not find it surprising if Clarkson is using the fracas to play Danny Cohen. By reporting the incident, which now seems to be a relatively minor affair, Clarkson has forced Cohen's hand (or perhaps JC knew how Cohen would react) and now put Cohen in the position of causing the loss of a huge amount of income for the BBC. I would expect Clarkson, and probably the rest of the TG team, to announce that they will not be renewing their contracts and will instead sign for a commercial station which will allow them far more creative freedom than the BBC has under Cohen. In this scenario, the only loser would be Danny Cohen.

I would not find it surprising if Clarkson is using the fracas to play Danny Cohen. By reporting the incident, which now seems to be a relatively minor affair, Clarkson has forced Cohen's hand (or perhaps JC knew how Cohen would react) and now put Cohen in the position of causing the loss of a huge amount of income for the BBC. I would expect Clarkson, and probably the rest of the TG team, to announce that they will not be renewing their contracts and will instead sign for a commercial station which will allow them far more creative freedom than the BBC has under Cohen. In this scenario, the only loser would be Danny Cohen.

I agree that Cohen will be the biggest loser here and for the reason stated. But I think you give too much credit for thinking things through to a bloke who thought it would be funny to put a dead cow on top of a car. And you might be overestimating how much freedom a broadcaster who makes trucks loads of money running truck commercials will be willing to give. I have seen Top Gear UK with ads every 10 minutes on BBC America, it loses a lot of its appeal but imagine many tooth brightening products will line up for 30 second spots.

This actually sounds plausible.
Clarkson is actually pretty smart man and if he is doing this to go to another channel I bet he won't let them run commercials during the show because it would lose momentum.
Or even more plausible, he is doing this to make Cohen look like a moron and get rid of him from BBC, IE plain politics.

Courtesy of my second favourite Slovenian....

777841argh.jpg

Argh, this kind of weakling, namby-pamby attitude gets my blood to boiling point.

On a projective note, suppose Clarkson were cleared and officially reinstated ... Do we expect him to just get back to work making semblant of normality? I don't think he would.

Last edited:
Anyone else read this thread's title, "Jeremy Clarkson suspended over fracas", and imagine Jeremy, in some sort of harness, dangling by wires above something call "Fracas"? Like...maybe it's a city in Finland, or perhaps it's a rare type of Alabama swap alligator...maybe an egg-based savory entr?e.

Last edited:
It sounds like he a long hard day and a bit too much to drink on an empty stomach. He get gets cranky and belligerent when he's had some alcohol , So what? Millions of people do the same and it doesn't end the world. Fine him and put the show back on. The BBC is stupid to let this turn in such a big circus.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.