Jeremy Clarkson Suspended Over Fracas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, if Clarkson acted that way then him being suspended is pretty justified. If they have to bring the show back without him, so be it, but if they end up having to can the whole thing and/or relaunch it in some other fashion I'd be fine with it. Truth be told, I haven't watched much TG since I think series 19 or so because I got fed up with some of the segments where the scripting was plainly obvious (hello snowplow challenge) and when I heard the India special was dreadful I skipped that.

I don't think I'll be able to rewatch some of my favourite challenges now though without remembering Clarkson's antics behind the scenes...

If Clarkson is getting the boot, replace him with David Freiburger and Mike Finnegan from the youtube-show Roadkill.
They are kinda like Top Gear light, and they would work imho.

Here is the real problem with replacing Clarkson:

The people who talk airily about it seem to want a presenter who knows about cars (because it's their hobby), have charisma on screen and / or want to show the world of cars through a political lens (whether it's green tech or self-drivers or whatever).

That won't work.

You need three things to be a good Top Gear presenter:

1. Imagination. You need to be outlandish in answering the car-related "What if?" question. Case in point: the Quadski in Italy. Someone had to have seen it, someone had to have proposed a race with it. Who would you imagine driving it, apart from JC?

2. A very healthy ego. Because the presenter has to be willing to be publicly humiliated onscreen, either by the other presenters, or by the hostility of the environment, or by bystanders while filming, or by guests. And be willing to accept that the car, especially if it misbehaves, is what the show wants people to remember.

3. The courage to offend the people whose judgement you value. Offending the PC crowd is one thing, and easy enough. Offending the people whose values you share, that's going to take a toll, and you have to be willing to withstand the consequences. JC, of course, has had plenty of practice with that.

I don't agree with most reactions about the story. If the story is true (and liability of the source is close to zero), then I think Clarkson made a mistake indeed. However after a long day producing segments for top gear (and probably some retakes and delays because Hammond forgot the text and May got lost) combined with drinking on an empty stomach, does not result into a normal person (or Clarkson in this case). Is this an excuse? No, but I think everbody can have a "not so great moment" even though they might be a great person .... We're not robots and Clarkson probably apologized to the producer (if he did not apologize and the story is indeed true, then he indeed need to be sacked). The only way to proper punish Jeremy Clarkson is to force him to drive a G wiz for a month (instead of a dull BBC warning)

Last edited:
If Clarkson is getting the boot, replace him with David Freiburger and Mike Finnegan from the youtube-show Roadkill.
They are kinda like Top Gear light, and they would work imho.

You think they'd put up with the Beeb or move to England? They barely tolerate California.

- - - Updated - - -

I genuinely think the show could continue so long as James May, Richard Hammond and Andy Wilman stayed on the show

They won't. If Clarkson goes, it'll be a new show with the four of them for another network. And it'll probably be the better for it.

Honestly, no matter what happens, I can't imagine Jeremy not continuing on with automotive related projects. I miss the early seasons of TopGear when Jeremy brought it back and it was more of a car show. The idea of the 3 boys leaving the monster that is TopGear and starting a new car show, would interest me. Leave all the cheap car challenges and epic races and all that other rehashed stuff that they did to death on TG, and start a new pure car show that's more true to their roots as automotive journalists. Leave their caricatures behind and be themselves. That interests me greatly.

I'm sure James May's doctor would prefer it.

Honestly, no matter what happens, I can't imagine Jeremy not continuing on with automotive related projects. I miss the early seasons of TopGear when Jeremy brought it back and it was more of a car show. The idea of the 3 boys leaving the monster that is TopGear and starting a new car show, would interest me. Leave all the cheap car challenges and epic races and all that other rehashed stuff that they did to death on TG, and start a new pure car show that's more true to their roots as automotive journalists. Leave their caricatures behind and be themselves. That interests me greatly.

I'm sure James May's doctor would prefer it.

Hello there! I lived in your home State for about 8 years and thought it was great. I'm not sure about your suggestion however. Nostalgia is a common affliction and everyone reminisces about the past. What you're describing though is a show pretty close to what Fifth Gear is today. I don't know about you, but for me it is a long, long way off from Top Gear.

Hello there! I lived in your home State for about 8 years and thought it was great. I'm not sure about your suggestion however. Nostalgia is a common affliction and everyone reminisces about the past. What you're describing though is a show pretty close to what Fifth Gear is today. I don't know about you, but for me it is a long, long way off from Top Gear.

Having said that, I would love to see them just once "play it straight" on a challenge, because the three of them could probably make a very good fist of it. They are all three mechanically sound and pretty intelligent.

Having said that, I would love to see them just once "play it straight" on a challenge, because the three of them could probably make a very good fist of it. They are all three mechanically sound and pretty intelligent.

Me too, I keep watching the early cheap car challenges for this reason. The Jag/BMW/Mitsubishi combination that ended with racing on a grass track is my favourite and still seems genuine.

I'm not sure about your suggestion however. Nostalgia is a common affliction and everyone reminisces about the past. What you're describing though is a show pretty close to what Fifth Gear is today. I don't know about you, but for me it is a long, long way off from Top Gear.

But it wouldn't be TopGear, now would it.

Truth is, the boys have a lot of pressure to perform on the show. That's why they have to fabricate so many calamities into so many of their specials. They cannot afford for things to go smoothly. Which is why so many of their recent specials end up with them driving normal street cars offroad, even when there is no point, since there is a good chance things will go wrong. Even when they want to talk about car news during the news portion of the show, they have to make it seem like a joke, even though TopGear is a car show and they've been doing the news for years.

It would be nice to see them break out of that nonsense on a new show. Leave TopGear in the past and do something new, but without pandering to the lowest common denominator with cheap brainless content. It's not nostalgia speaking when I say the older seasons had far more substance than in recent years.

It's a sad fact to face up to but the show has been nearer the end than the beginning for quite some time. That's not to say that it couldn't continue with one if not three new presenters; think of all the bands over the years which have survived changes of personnel and even thrived afterwards. I think the BBC will at least attempt to continue the show simply because of the revenue stream although only time would tell if it can maintain a level of success. Those writing it off just because it might not feature Clarkson do so prematurely to my mind; it is very easy to resist change but new blood might well be the shot in the arm Top Gear requires.

The problem is that the BBC *would* take the opportunity and remake Top Gear into something less 'embarrassing' for their sensibilities. The knives have been out at the BBC for a very long time for Top Gear - it's a source of constant embarrassment to their leadership that their top grossing show (indeed, the only one that actually consistently brings in any money) is something that runs contrary to all their corporate narratives and apparent values.

To be perfectly honest, if this is the end of Top Gear, I don't think the BBC could ever get it off the ground as a "reboot" in today's PC times. I can imagine that the selection of the presenters to begin with would be subject to "reflecting the wide range of multicultural Britain, and balancing the varying viewpoints of motoring" (which I'm fine with, so long as those happen to be the "best people for the roles") If a lesbian, a homosexual and a green party member were selected "because they happened to have the best ability and chemistry - then that's brilliant. However often with the BBC these days, you feel they've been selected purely BECAUSE they're homosexual or of an "alternative view".

The bolded part is exactly what they'd do, and we all know it.

By all means BBC, make another car show - hell bring back the old format of "Watchdog for car drivers" such a show would be welcomed and useful to many.

Which nobody outside the UK watched or wanted to watch, and therefore won't bring in any money.

They'll probably replace him with a woman. For balance.

:jeremy:
368210quote2.jpg

To that I would add, "Who knows nothing about the subject matter being presented and is there purely to 'prove' that the BBC 'cares' about 'tolerance and diversity and accurately representing modern Britain.'

Further, it would be immediately revised to be an even more-politically-correct UK version of Motorweek, who never met a car they didn't like.

No, really. They've never met a car they didn't like. Here's their reviews of two of the worst cars ever imported to the US.
[video=youtube;i-O5i1zeXXQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-O5i1zeXXQ[/video]

Yes, this show is still going. Yes, it's still exactly the same. Yes, it's really this horrible.

The BBC would cheerfully ape it, but probably proceed more along the lines of that 'eco-feminist' Top Gear proposal by that clueless c**t; ecocrapboxen and Priuses only.

Last edited:
Reactions: MWF

I would absolutely hate it, because that would not be Top Gear.
If I wanted to see that sort of thing, I'd watch Fifth Gear.

Haha, it's funny how many "educated" (*kuch*) people try to make Top Gear better by making the show different. One thing they do not understand is that Top Gear is brilliant because it's incorrect in many places. They don't understand the humor, the banter or anything and that's why most people love it.

My preference: let Clarkson and his mates go (to start ?Another Gear? on ITV?) and bring in some actually clever and funny people like Steve Coogan, Rob Brydon and maybe even ? shock horror! ? a woman like Sue Perkins, who did a great job in BBC2?s World?s Most Dangerous Roads programme. Which, incidentally, was more interesting than most episodes of Top Gear.
True journalism objectivity! :) I actually love it that she / he doesn't understand a clue about Top Gear and I really hope he/she has to 'power' to make such a program and watch it fail compared to Top Gear.

The analogy I?d use is Countryfile, a show watched by more people than Top Gear
... In Britain (but he forgot to mention and also he forgot to mention how much more revenue BBC gets from Top Gear compared to Countryfile).

I look forward to the new, funnier, smarter, better Top Gear with beautiful films of Alan Partridge pootling around in a nice Lexus.
9d6jGdp_700wa_0.gif

Last edited:
They should carry on with TG but rename it subtly to steal viewers.....

"On tonight's Cunty Fight....... James swears at some pikeys, Richard wrestles a duck and I throw salami at Bonio out of U2......"

If Clarkson gets canned, he could make a guest appearance on Roadkill

The coming week will likely reveal a lot. It does sound like Clarkson was clearly in the wrong, but we'll know more later.

If I were to have a physical altercation at my place of employment, without question, I would lose my job. Zero tolerance is the way that it should be, even in broadcasting.

Status
Not open for further replies.