Jeremy Clarkson Suspended Over Fracas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Radio Times says cancelled, but not the BBC. Or is RT part of BBC?

EDIT: Wiki says RT has been part of a separate company since 2011, so I'll wait for an official statement.

Actually: http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2015...tponed-after-jeremy-clarkson-punches-producer

"Radio Times understands that the further two remaining episodes of the series have also been postponed until the corporation has concluded its investigation into the events."

So. Figure a minimum of one week for someone to put the details out, a month for a final printed report, a decision a week after that on whether to reinstate JC and finish this series, and a decision point within a month on whether to change the format (i.e. replace JC with a new presenter, most likely female).

1 - May and Hammond will be in lockstep; if Clarkson is gone, they are gone.
2 - I hate to say this but I think Top Gear will be done for BUT
3 - I can actually see them going to another network, host the same type of program together and give the finger to the BBC.
4 - I see a lot of lawsuits happening if TG is gone. Who owns the rights to the show? How about the idea of "The Stig"? It will be a fight over the rights and the splits in profits.
5 - It is possible that the producer will get paid off and will be induced into saying that he started it, it wasn't JC's fault, and BBC have to bring him and TG back.

Just my thoughts.

I won't start laying blame until the facts are out.

If he is sacked (which I hope he isn't) I don't see the show dying. It's too profitable. They would replace him with another presenter. I don't see Hammond and May quitting out of solidarity for Clarkson either.

My expression when I decided to go to bed and then read about 'Fracas' and no Top Gear:

lMzzGBM_700wa_0.gif

I really hope we are going to see those episodes :mad:

I hope this gets worked out. I really cannot imagine an icon like TG gone over bs like this. The one saving grace is TG makes a LOT of money for the BBC and that always matters, so I'm hoping some cooler heads prevail and fix the matter.

One thing is for certain, there is no TG without Clarkson and there is no TG without BBC.

The take from the Mirror
http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/...-producer-named-5309060#ICID=sharebar_twitter

So they name the producer and they say it was about catering....catering!? WTF...I just don't believe this.

It is possible I suppose that the producer hasn't made a formal complaint but that the incident has been talked about on the 'water-cooler' circuit until it reached someone who couldn't ignor it. If he did actually hit the guy, well....you can't really defend that can you?

Last edited:
I don't believe any of it at the moment, other than what was said in the BBC statement. We know the media are going to make shit up for a story.

It seems doubtful that the BBC would destroy one of its biggest cash cows just because a producer got a punch thrown at him. The suspension is probably obligatory to give time for a full inquiry, and Clarkson might get taken to court, but I predict the BBC will act to keep him.
Those of you knocking Clarkson for being stupid--obviously he committed a stupid action, but he must have been in a white-hot rage to commit it, and rage is immune to reason.

If not having a plate of food delivered, even after a hard day, was enough to make Clarkson "snap", then Jeremy has issues that must be addressed, issues that are more important than the show. It's been a bad 12 months for him and not much better for the show as a whole. Time to take a year's break, that's break without any filming whatsoever, and start over fresh late next year.

If any of that is true, be lucky to get away with a suspension.

Maybe use Chris Evan or a guest host for the last few episodes this series and threaten to replace him with Piers Morgan.

All this aggro could be over the lack of ham sandwich and a cup of tea. FFS :blink:

No way Hammond and May stick around if Clarkson is off the show. And assuming it wasn't Wilman who got into this "fracas" with Clarkson, Wilman won't stick around either. They'll all four either stop presenting or (and I can see Clarkson's stubbornness making it happen) they find a new home (with a new name) on Sky or Channel 4 or some other place. They're too big commercially to not find a new home.

And that was my first thought, there will be a line of TV production companies waiting to make them offers, which will probably be a heck of a lot more than the BBC was paying Clarkson's production company.

Actually, who owns the name Top Gear, is it the BBC or Clarkson ?

Edit:

A quick search on Google shows the BBC bought control of the production company, so yes, it could be the end of top gear.

1 - May and Hammond will be in lockstep; if Clarkson is gone, they are gone.

Just my thoughts.

Not to disagree with you,but I am sure they have contracts, not that the BBC wants 2 presenters that obviously don't want to be there, but I guess they could force the issue.

Last edited:
Last edited:
It would actually be wise for Oisin Tymon to move to Argentina.

It was irresponsible of The Mirror to publish the producer's name. He'll be right to be afraid of his own shadow for a long time to come.

I support the BBC. Violence in the workplace should never be tolerated.

Crazy turn of events, but I'm not too bothered. Clarkson can start a gardening show and I'd watch it.

Ok picture the opening sequence tapering to a panning shot of the studio, and then picture someone OTHER than Jeremy saying "Hello. Good evening. Thank you everyone!"

You can't, can you ... Quite.

Honestly, if it is the end of Top Gear then A) I hope Wilman or someone releases the final episodes somehow and B) I hope James uses the time he has off the show to make more interesting series or something else like a podcast, because honestly I'd rather watch James May's __________ than a new Top Gear episode at this point (besides, there's a BUNCH of episodes I can rewatch...)

I don't want this to be the end though. If everything does actually somehow get sorted out and Clarkson comes off suspension, he'll probably need to start restraining himself from being the way he is. If he even can.

If not having a plate of food delivered, even after a hard day, was enough to make Clarkson "snap", then Jeremy has issues that must be addressed, issues that are more important than the show.

If that would have been enough to make Clarkson snap, he'd have snapped long before now. I doubt the accuracy of the Mirror's account.

Status
Not open for further replies.