Jeremy Clarkson Suspended Over Fracas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Czech TV is much, much worse.

Im getting curious why so many people on here are debating who's right and who isn't, and what should be done, when none of you were there to know what happened either way. This thread should just be for updates on the situation, because it's basically turned into a mess of bickering when neither side has any information beyond hearsay.

quoted for truth.

God forbid you discuss things on a discussion forum.
Thread nazi says "no, only news updates!"

We could use a news website for that guys, there'd be no point in this thread or board without discussion.

Radio 5 reporting the official inquiry has started now,so everyone's lawyered up i'm guessing.Wait and see now i suppose,but i'm guessing that's our lot for TG-thanks for the memories guys,it's been fun.

Sorry if this has been mentioned before...

The BBC could sack Clarkson over a fracas with a producer, but they're making a 90 minute feature film on the making of one of the most violent video games of all time...

The BBC is creating a TV drama based on the making of 'Grand Theft Auto'
As part of a major initiative to get the UK into coding, the BBC is creating a new TV show based on the making of Rockstar's best-selling game series Grand Theft Auto. Not much is known about the show; the BBC simply states that a "new BBC Two drama based on Grand Theft Auto" is on its way. According to Guy Cocker, who has been working on the show, the drama will be based on the making of the game, rather than the game itself. A release date for the show hasn't been nailed down yet either, although the related "Make it Digital" campaign kicks off this fall, which may give us a clue.

[...]

http://www.engadget.com/2015/03/12/bbc-grand-theft-auto-tv-show/

The BBC could sack Clarkson over a fracas with a producer, but they're making a 90 minute feature film on the making of one of the most violent video games of all time...

Well I don't think editorial consistency is something channels believe in anymore ...

Because punching a character in a video game is as unjustifiable as punching a guy next to you? (if that really is what Clarkson has done)

Umm, wow...

Um, about those three episodes:

http://www.driving.co.uk/news/news-l...investigation/

Now the real question is, who's doing the editing? If it's Wilman with the production company, then it should be half-decent because they'll know how to present Jeremy and
do the interstitial narrations without him. If it's people from outside the the production company, then we should expect a CF.

Um...ok so, comparing Grand Theft Auto to Jeremy Clarkson huh? Have we really got to this point? I honestly can't wait to hear those who say that Jeremy Clarkson was just playing Grand Theft Auto in real life.

The BBC making a drama into the origins of one of the most successful (and controversial) video game series on the planet? A video game series that emerged from Blighty? A British institution as much as the London Bus and the Sex Pistols? A video game series?

No-one thought to mention it because Grand Theft Auto is a video game series where you kill people, steal cars and rob banks in a make-believe environment. Anyone who imitates an act within the video game that's reprehensible in real life is as stupid as punching a co-worker while drunk over a cold meal.

The closest this gets to comparison is perhaps the shady working practices that went into making 2011's L.A. Noire. A game that took 7 years to make and the working environment was equivalent to working in a sweatshop.

Last edited:
I think my post has been caught in the moderation queue or been flagged as spam. I can't message any mods, though.

Here's the 1999 column about leaving Top Gear: http://www.topgear.com/uk/jeremy-clarkson/clarkson-leaving-03-1999

This was the bit I liked best:
I'm often asked what qualifications you need to work on Top Gear and I've always given the same advice. Like cars by all means, but love writing. Love it so much that you do it to relax. See the new Alfa or whatever as nothing more than a tool on which your prose can be based.

That's one of the things I love most about Top Gear--it's made by people who genuinely love and appreciate the English language. You won't find any program of its type in America that pays nearly as much attention to words, to getting the right metaphor or the funniest simile. Combine that with the physical comedy of malfunctioning cars (or their drivers) and the bumptious camaraderie of the three hosts, and you'll see the unique appeal of Top Gear.
I don't think enough has been said about Jeremy Clarkson the writer either. I love hearing that he writes in order to relax--that explains why he can simultaneously write Top Gear, columns for Top Gear Magazine, The Sun, and two types of column for The Sunday Times. All are in that unmistakable voice and have the rhythms of speech, which are difficult to capture on paper. And though their output is smaller, May and Hammond are also proficient, concise, and often funny writers. Many folks in Britain seem to write off Top Gear as a boorish, anti-intellectual spectacle--they don't realize the degree of writing that goes into it.

Status
Not open for further replies.