Jeremy Clarkson Suspended Over Fracas

Status
Not open for further replies.
finally!! that took more than long enough...

Last edited:
its-over-go-home.gif

That's it. Pack up your things, folks

Cue endless speculation about the future of the show. May and Hammond's reactions are going to be interesting to watch although I doubt they will tell us much.

In the meantime let the media feeding frenzy commence.

Last edited:
Reactions: TC
Ideal scenario from here on:
He takes a year or two and does some passion projects - more war documentaries and the like, low pressure, chills out, gets his stupid head sorted out (since he's the only one to blame for all this).
Then re-unites with Hammond and May on a new car show for another channel that becomes the biggest show ever.
And whatever the BBC does with Top Gear now crashes and burns because who gives a fuck.

Pack it up boys and girls, we can go home. End of an era.

I think Clarkson could still do a couple of DVD specials a year, by himself or with the boys. A better option than endlessly rehashing the same old ideas, to be honest.

Summary of the findings by Ken MacQuarrie

Investigation findings ? Ken MacQuarrie
On 9 March 2015, Jeremy Clarkson reported to BBC management that he had been involved in a physical and verbal incident with Oisin Tymon, the producer of Top Gear, at the Simonstone Hall Hotel, North Yorkshire, whilst working on location. The incident had occurred on 4 March 2015 and Jeremy Clarkson was suspended on 10 March, pending investigation.
I was asked to undertake an investigation to establish the facts of what occurred. In conducting my investigation, in line with the BBC?s usual practice, I interviewed a number of witnesses and others connected with the incident. Accounts were agreed, based on my interviews, with each participant.
Having conducted these interviews and considered the evidence presented, I conclude the following: on 4 March 2015 Oisin Tymon was subject to an unprovoked physical and verbal attack by Jeremy Clarkson. During the physical attack Oisin Tymon was struck, resulting in swelling and bleeding to his lip. The verbal abuse was sustained over a longer period, both at the time of the physical attack and subsequently.
Specific facts I have found as part of my investigation are as follows:
? earlier on 4 March, studio recording of Top Gear had taken place in Surrey and the presenters had travelled that same evening to the location shoot in North Yorkshire;
? the incident occurred on a patio area of the Simonstone Hall Hotel, where Oisin Tymon was working on location for Top Gear;
? the physical attack lasted around 30 seconds and was halted by the intervention of a witness;
? it is the case that Oisin Tymon offered no retaliation;
? the verbal abuse was directed at Oisin Tymon on more than one occasion ? both during the
attack and subsequently inside the hotel ? and contained the strongest expletives and threats to sack him. The abuse was at such volume as to be heard in the dining room, and the shouting was audible in a hotel bedroom;
? derogatory and abusive language, relating to Oisin Tymon and other members of the Top Gear team, continued to be used by Jeremy Clarkson inside the hotel, in the presence of others, for a sustained period of time;
? it is clear that Oisin Tymon was shocked and distressed by the incident, and believed that he had lost his job;
? following the attack, I understand that Oisin Tymon drove to a nearby A&E department for examination;
? over the subsequent days, Jeremy Clarkson made a number of attempts to apologise to Oisin Tymon by way of text, email and in person; and
? it is the case that Jeremy Clarkson reported the incident to BBC management.
It was not disputed by Jeremy Clarkson or any witness that Oisin Tymon was the victim of an unprovoked physical and verbal attack. It is also clear to me that Oisin Tymon is an important creative member of the Top Gear team who is well-valued and respected. He has suffered significant personal distress as a result of this incident, through no fault of his own.

http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/investigation-summary.pdf

As much as I love James and Richard I doubt they could carry the show with a new presenter. Jeremy really was the glue that kept that mess a float. Presenter was only one of many jobs Jeremy had on Top Gear.

Last edited:
I think if you are a BBC executive who actually fires Clarkson you will be rather foolish, as others have stated above the rights to TGUK are owned by beeb but what's in a name. It's the chemistry of the hosts that make the show.
Today it was being reported here (Australia) that the BBC where about to fire Clarkson (now confirmed it seems), and possibly replace him with Chris Evans, but given the past attempts at trying to recreate TG in both Aus and the US where both flops to varying degrees.
The Aus version tried over several years, two networks and two sets of hosts to recreate TG and failed. The US version pretty quickly dropped most of the format TG and just kept the challenge segment. Personally I watch the show for the hosts not the name of the show, it sounds to me like the 3 hosts are all good mates and have already said (after Hammonds accident) if one left they would all leave. I would say if they do fire Clarkson then I would think it not unlikely that you would see a new show on a rival network that is pretty much TG but with a different name not long after. Anyone with a longish TV memory remembers David Letterman being fired, he took his show to a new network and had 20 more years on air and all that really changed was the name of the show.
In fact the ideal is already in place, Fifthgear has been trying to copy TG for years and struggling in both market share and ratings, drop the TG hosts into that show (not sure who owns it at the moment) and I think the TG guys would take much of their audience with them (and the hundred or so million pounds linked to that audience), the only real loser if that happened would be the BBC. Given the way TV execs work I would be very surprised if someone had not already approached Clarkson.

Status
Not open for further replies.