Jeremy Clarkson Suspended Over Fracas

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's really missing for my taste is a public statement and apology from Clarkson. No metaphoric babble about dinosaurs, an open admission of really losing it and that all the sad consequences are in the end his fault and nobody else's, and an apology to all the fans in the world that it was him who killed TG as we know it because he went apeshit over a misunderstanding with the producers about the importance of providing hot food at the end of his working day, no matter how late that should turn out to be. And that the one-eyed rednecks among the fans should lay off Oisin Tymon because it was neither his fault nor his misconduct, nor was Tymon complaining to the BBC, nor was he demanding Clarkson's sacking, on the contrary.

Toyota say farewell

Last edited:
and from Piers Morgan of all people!
seriously though I do agree with him Jeremy has had the year from hell, before he does anything else he needs a rest.

From Piers Morgan no less. Agreed.

Piers has actually been a pretty classy guy about this whole situation, I'd say to EVERYONES surprise.

In case you missed it, this was Morgan's first piece on the situation from a few days ago - http://www.mailonsunday.co.uk/home/...ork-related-issues-battling-inner-demons.html

Here is the statement from Oisin Tymon in full:

CA8yJELUYAAJ7lm.png:large

The BBC should have let the series finish and then announced that Clarkson's contract wasn't going to be renewed. I doubt Oisin would have gotten all the abuse he's had to endure from Top Gear "fans" if they'd done it this way. With the series over there'd have been much less of a media frenzy and fewer fans paying attention.

More to the point, WE have a vested interest in proving that Top Gear can work without Clarkson.

I don't see how this is true. I wasn't a fan of the Top Gear franchise. I was a fan of Clarkson and May, and to a lesser extent Hammond. I am much more likely to watch TG3's next projects (whatever they happen to be) than a rebooted Top Gear.

Hm - if Chris Roberts can make $70 million from crowd funding to make Star Citizen - imagine how much the three + Wilman would make if they tried to indie-fund a new show? That'd be several series' funding in the pocket right there...

Hm - if Chris Roberts can make $70 million from crowd funding to make Star Citizen - imagine how much the three + Wilman would make if they tried to indie-fund a new show? That'd be several series' funding in the pocket right there...

I'd back it.

Piers has actually been a pretty classy guy about this whole situation, I'd say to EVERYONES surprise.

In case you missed it, this was Morgan's first piece on the situation from a few days ago - http://www.mailonsunday.co.uk/home/...ork-related-issues-battling-inner-demons.html

I will fully admit that I read both of the articles with my mouth wide open. I had sat down to read it with my fingers poised at the ready of the letters 'F' and 'U'.

I still don't like him but that was very respectable.

I have. TG-US works very well and is a solid performer on History TV (check out their Nurburgring and eco run episodes). I've seen the earlier TG-AUS ones, and when they don't do stories according to the CHM format they do very well indeed.

What you need to do a proper TG is high production values, good onscreen chemistry and (most importantly) a good story to tell. When he first left Top Gear in 99, JC pointed out that the best segments depended not on cars or presenters, but good writing and solid storytelling. The CHM chemistry is unique, but it is most definitely *not* irreproducible.

The best movements are the ones that survive their leadership. Those who buy the line that "Clarkson Is Top Gear" buy into the lines of the PC crowd who don't want programming on the air that doesn't meet *their* standard. They think that by getting rid of JC, they're freeing the airwaves for more of *their* kind of programming. This is an opportunity for the BBC and Top Gear to prove them wrong.

One of the reasons I dumped my cable tv is because there's nearly 0 history on The History Channel. I saw one episode of Top Gear USA. It was ok but not worth keeping cable for. I watched Top Gear UK because I liked Clarkson, the writing and the chemistry. I doubt any other incarnation of the show will ever be as good.

Are these the same people who complained about /DRIVE going to subscription only on youtube?

Just making sure.

I will fully admit that I read both of the articles with my mouth wide open. I had sat down to read it with my fingers poised at the ready of the letters 'F' and 'U'.

I still don't like him but that was very respectable.

He's reverted to type today, Talksport Radio have a clip of "his campaign to replace Jeremy on Top Gear". The poll had 32% of listeners voting for him (although that was a few hours ago)

If anyone's wondering what Clarkson will do next, take a look at this article from the March 22 edition of the Sunday Times:

Clarkson's next show: Top Oo-aarr
Byline: Nick Rufford

HE HAS been chased by a violent mob in Argentina, has driven across Botswana in a PS1,500 banger and faces being sacked by the BBC. But Jeremy Clarkson may have taken on his greatest challenge yet with a possible documentary series that could do for farming what Top Gear did for motoring.

As BBC lawyers and executives were locked in meetings this weekend to try to resolve the fate of the host of one of the corporation's highest-earning shows, the man himself was considering a change of direction.

The potential farming programme has not yet been given a name but friends have jokingly suggested Top Tractor. It would examine the lives and challenges of people who work in the countryside.

Clarkson took the idea in 2012 to George Entwistle, then the BBC director-general. It did not go ahead because the BBC wanted to make it in the north of England. Clarkson, 54, is now working on a new proposal, pending the outcome of the corporation's investigation of the recent fracas at a North Yorkshire hotel , when the presenter is alleged to have thrown a punch at the producer Oisin Tymon during a row.

"In the last week [Jeremy] has had a chance to firm it up," said a source close to Clarkson. "It's about trying to run a farm when you don't know anything about farming, and ... getting things wrong, in a Top Gear-esque way."

Once a proud townie, Clarkson bought a share of a 1,000-acre farm in Oxfordshire in 2009 and won planning permission to renovate the property and outhouses.

Last week he took refuge there as he began planning new projects. He has previously said that he wanted to plant hedgerows and flowers to attract butterflies and wild birds.

He told the Radio Times: "I love the idea of being a farmer. Farming land is complex. It's a business, but it's important to me that the land looks beautiful too. I was born in the countryside so it's only natural I would want to enjoy it now in my autumn years. All right, early winter, then!" Clarkson has already discussed a farming show with Andy Wilman, his longstanding collaborator and Top Gear's executive producer.

If the presenter severs his BBC links, his "Top Tractor" idea could interest many rival broadcasters. A 2012 episode of Countryfile in which he appeared attracted one of the show's biggest audiences.

Clarkson refused to give further details, saying only that it was not a gardening show. He once incurred the wrath of the presenter Alan Titchmarsh by describing gardening as "a pointless way of passing the time until you die".

In his Sunday Times column today Clarkson hints he is thinking of moving on. "I used to work on a television show called Top Gear," he says. Last week he made several references at a charity event in London to being "sacked" from the BBC2 show.

He also writes about how he woke on Friday morning "to be told by my lawyer that someone had uploaded a video of me [from the charity event] using choice language to describe bosses at the BBC".

Clarkson says it was "all meant in jest and anyway it worked. I woke the room up and the auction prize I was offering one last lap of the Top Gear test track raised PS100,000."

Thought to feel that he has been badly treated by the BBC, Clarkson has told friends he may quit, even if his suspension is lifted after the inquiry led by Ken MacQuarrie, the head of BBC Scotland. It has been suggested that if Clarkson is asked back it will be on condition that he take "anger management" classes.

Sir Charles Dunstone, an entrepreneur and friend of Clarkson, said the presenter had been treated poorly. "Normally you have an investigation and then you decide what to do. You don't stop the programme and then have an investigation," he said.

A petition calling for the presenter's reinstatement on Top Gear, which has now gathered more than 1m signatures, was delivered by tank to BBC headquarters in London on Friday, and Clarkson tweeted his thanks for the support.

But yesterday he declared that "protest never works", which many read as a veiled reference to the support he has received since he was suspended. Writing in The Sun he said: "Protest never works. Because we are all plankton. And the world is run by whales. Oh, you can be a big and important plankton but that doesn't make a jot of difference if a whale has decided to eat you up. You can get a million other plankton to dress up and wave banners but Mr Whale won't even notice."

Lord Hall, the BBC's director-general, is expected to make a decision on his fate this week.

North Yorkshire Police issued a statement:
Statement in relation to Jeremy Clarkson

Here is North Yorkshire Police's statement in relation to an alleged incident in North Yorkshire involving Jeremy Clarkson
North Yorkshire Police

North Yorkshire Police Spokesperson said:

"North Yorkshire Police is liaising with the BBC regarding the alleged incident in North Yorkshire involving Jeremy Clarkson.

"We have asked the BBC for the report which details the findings of their internal investigation into the matter.

"The information will be assessed appropriately and action will be taken by North Yorkshire Police where necessary.

"It would not be appropriate for North Yorkshire Police to comment further at this time."

25 March 2015
k_dPvKXV_400x400.jpeg

http://www.northyorkshire.police.uk/15214

Jeremy Clarkson 'could be charged with ABH

And former Met chief inspector Peter Kirkham said Clarkson could be charged with ABH or, more likely, common assault ? which carries a maximum jail sentence of six months.

It could be combined with section 4 of the Public Order Act, 1986, relating to threatening, abusive or insulting words causing fear.
http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/jeremy-clarkson-could-charged-abh-5401085

Do the police need a complaint to make a charge? Thought getting canned by the Beeb would be the end of it.

Last edited:
I wish it really had ended here now...

or on a happier note, this would have been a lovely finale.

Aldi Stores UK Verified account
?@AldiUK
Don?t worry @JeremyClarkson, our Chipping Norton store?s opening soon, so contact @AldiCareersUK if you?re interested :) #RIPTopGear

:lmao:

Status
Not open for further replies.