Jeremy Clarkson Suspended Over Fracas

Status
Not open for further replies.
You guys seem to be forgetting that there were alot of witnesses. The incident itself didn't happen "behind closed doors". It would have been in the news regardless of Jeremy reporting it. It would also make the BBC look bad if they determined it was assault and fired Jeremy..........after 3 weeks of raking in money from the show.

So what's going on now is fair to Oisin?
It was a piss poor business decision and they might as well hang a sign on the guy's neck "I ended Top Gear ". All the time they spent on this "investigation" they could have had the series nearly over. Nobody needed all this drama. If word got out to the media they could have admitted there was an investigation going on and refused further comment.
It was a crappy thing to do to Oisin, a crappy thing to do to the fans and a crappy thing to do to all the markets that had bought the show. BBCA is commercial, they sold advertising there for NEW Top Gear.
Just plain stupid and poorly managed on the part of the BBC. If they loose a billion $ they've only themselves to blame.

Last edited:
No, what Im saying is, this would have happened regardless. People in the hotel saw it happen. It's not the BBCs fault that Oisin ended up in the news, it's Jeremy's. And once it WAS in the news, they couldnt just sweep it aside with "Something happened, we fired Clarkson." Imagine how the public would react to not being given the story.

Well, I can't say I'm surprised. It's the end of an era for sure, but I find it bittersweet. We all know the show wasn't going to last forever, and it seemed like the boys were getting a bit tired. TopGear was a monster, an unstoppable juggernaut. I always wondered if the boys were really making the sort of show they really wanted, or if they felt the crushing pressure of 350 million obsessive fans. Difficult to say.

We haven't seen the last of Jeremy, that's for sure. And when he's back, the chances that James and Richard will be there too, seems likely. I hope they take this opportunity to break away and leave the legacy they built with TopGear as it is. Ambitious but rubbish? Either way, I do hope that if they get back together on a new show, that they try not to make TopGear mkII, but instead make the sort of show they want to make and not give a damn what the massive TopGear fanbase thinks. Sequels are never as good as the original. Start a new chapter.

No, what Im saying is, this would have happened regardless. People in the hotel saw it happen. It's not the BBCs fault that Oisin ended up in the news, it's Jeremy's. And once it WAS in the news, they couldnt just sweep it aside with "Something happened, we fired Clarkson." Imagine how the public would react to not being given the story.

Too which they could have replied, "Yes Jeremy was being loud, rude and stupid, what else is new?"
I'm not saying they should have tried to sweep it aside, I'm saying they shouldn't have wasted millions of dollars (pounds), put the hapless producer front and center of the whole damn mess. Let the series finish out as planned and there's a lot less grief for all involved. I bet a thousand dollars the only reason it was leaked before the series end was that forces in the BBC wanted to see Clarkson squirm. That's an absolutely idiotic business decision.

Last edited:
This is why you're taught to keep emotions away from business.

I wonder, now that Clarkson won't be continuing with the show how long it will be before news comes out about not just the future of the show but the future of the cast and the crew of Top Gear. It seems to me everything could be in limbo for months, it's been automatically assumed that everyone would just quit and leave with Clarkson and Hammond's comment certainly hints at that but hints is the key word, even James May simply said he's going to have to think about it very carefully rather than just outright say "I guess I'm done on Top Gear and Hammond will say the same". And there is the matter of the remaining Top Gear films which the BBC insist will air in some form.
If only there were much more transparency over this issue.

Sequels are never as good as the original. Start a new chapter.

Uh, this kind of WAS a sequel to the original Top Gear. It was a boring magazine show at first. The sequel turned out better. Anyway, I kind of have to side with the BBC here. What Clarkson did was moronic and he shouldn't have been allowed to get away for it just because he's Jeremy Clarkson.

Uh, this kind of WAS a sequel to the original Top Gear. It was a boring magazine show at first. The sequel turned out better.

What I mean is, I'd rather they not try to rehash what they did on TopGear, if they were to get together on a new show. What Jeremy Clarkson and Co. did with TopGear when they brought it back was not a rehash of what it was before, instead they did something completely different with it. That's what I hope they do here, a departure from what they were doing before.

Ever wonder why the BBC created different version of top gear in other countries? It's to avoid putting all your nuts in one basket. This way if TGUK tanks, they still have cash flow.

All the BBC had to say was that there was an investigation ongoing involving Clarkson and a producer. And upon the investigations completion appropriate action will be taken if necessary. No specifics should have been leaked or given out before the investigation was completed. Any leaks or rumors from the media should have been met with a blanket statement saying the BBC will not comment on specifics until the investigation is completed.

The BBC suspended Clarkson and killed the show before they even had the facts of what happened. They overreacted and created a massive shit storm the media couldn't help but eat up. Oisin is a victim of not only Clarkson punching him in the face but the lack of BBC management regarding these types of events and the media loving a good ole frenzy.

Better handling of the situation would not have created what has unfolded.

< Love the red rep btw :lol:

Last edited:
What if...What if the New Top Gear brought back the staff from Fifth Gear, who were in the original Top Gear...

What if. .. punched in the face guy had talked to Jeremy and reaped many apologies.

What if... competent producers and management had actually laid on catering/food as they should have and this had never happened?

The three hosts are certainly a team, and more recent media reports suggest Hammond and May might also leave, Andy Willman (exec-producer) is a life long friend of Clarkson and co-inventor of the new TG, they went to school together and he is still one of the main driving forces of the direction of the show.
If all 4 left, what would the BBC have, copyright ownership of, a name, It's not really a secret other networks had tried to poach Clarkson and the other hosts over the years which in part led to him being the highest paid BBC presenter ever.
I don't think you really need a crystal ball to see what will happen next, given it has already been tried, be it with less talented hosts and that is to clone the name TopGear into a similar name i.e. FifthGear.
Take that same concept, lets call it for the sake of argument 'NextGear' but add the actual talent from TopGear and you have a show any network would be falling over themselves to try and pickup.
Love him or hate him there is no real doubt that Clarkson + Hammond & May are not easily replaceable as several failed spin off's have already shown.

I'm fairly confident the trio will stick together to make another program for a different network in the near future. They've made many millions, but with the unique way the BBC is funded, their salaries are frankly dwarfed by what for-profit networks could offer. CHM could potentially make far more if they were to move to Netflix, ITV, or Sky.

Status
Not open for further replies.