Jeremy Clarkson Suspended Over Fracas

Status
Not open for further replies.
It all feels like everyone is in between a rock and a hard place. Even I feel like I'm between a rock and a hard place.

I hope Wilman stays on board, it would give me hope for the shows future. It's good to see Top Gear taking suggestions but it looks like a bunch of raving ranting lunatics rather then constructive feedback.

Last edited:
I hope Wilman stays on board, it would give me hope for the shows future. It's good to see Top Gear taking suggestions but it looks like a bunch of raving ranting lunatics rather then constructive feedback.
The Facetube comments are making my brain ache. Not a single constructive one to be found.

Sorry, Doc, but you can bet your bollocks to a barn dance that he won't. I'm so certain of that fact that if TG continues with Wilman involved then I will change my name by deed poll to Jennifer. Or at least add it as an extramiddle name.
I am with you. I don't think he stays either.

I think he is being crafty. A good thing at this point I think.

I always say you can not think straight when crazy is going on and you need to be thinking straight when you make a decision.

They need to take some time.

Je suis Jennifer.

Last edited:
Unpopular opinion: I think Tymon is a coward for not wanting to press charges. If someone had called me a lazy Norwegian and punched me in the face which required medical attention, I sure as hell wouldn't be satisfied with merely seeing that person lose their job. I'd want them in jail.

I hope the BBC convinces him to change his mind.

Don't read too much into that. You think all that kit gets left there year round?

It doesn't bode well for the chances of them throwing together a special that shows us the already-filmed segments from the remaining 3 episodes.

I won't read too much into it but it certainly sounds like Wilman will stay onboard.

I don't think the future of TopGear.com is really dependent on Wilman at all. I expect it would keep going regardless, just like the magazine.

Unpopular opinion: I think Tymon is a coward for not wanting to press charges. If someone had called me a lazy Norwegian and punched me in the face which required medical attention, I sure as hell wouldn't be satisfied with merely seeing that person lose their job. I'd want them in jail.

It would be unlikely that Jeremy would go to jail, and all pressing charges would do is just add more to his plate with little benefit. Jeremy's de facto sacking is probably punishment enough in his eyes.

It's regrettable it ended this way.

I think there is a parallel to another event, albeit different circumstances, when the star left the show. First the parallel, and comes from the world of cars. In 2006, Michael Schumacher was pushed out from Ferrari by Luca de Montezemolo. He wasn't sacked for misbehaving but he was pushed out. Ferrari went on to win the driver's title in 2007 with Raikonen and then became solid also-rans to this day. Formula One kept going forward. Ferrari hired a replacement star (Alonso) who eventually left. An old driver (Raikonen) came back. The old boss Montezemolo, got himself the axe, his successor lasted a few months. Schumacher himself came back a few years later with another team and was never quite the 7 x world champion larger than life sharper than a scalpel driver. He went back into retirement, did something stupid, and for all we know he is now a vegetable.

This happens in every business sadly, heck it's happened to me a couple of times, you see it coming and deal with it, i'm guessing Jezza knew his time was limited, but not this limited, it's nicer to go out in the way you want....A lot nicer.

What if... competent producers and management had actually laid on catering/food as they should have and this had never happened?

I mentioned this a few pages back, I talked to a family friend (who happens to run a rather large network over here in the states) and his point was "WTF were they thinking leaving the catering to a pub?"

In the end, it doesn't matter, Jezza may be a dick, but he is a dick who happened to be the face of a show that was watched by 350 million people a week, if he want's a steak, get him a f****** steak.

Just one note - obviously, this is the UKanian justice system which is different from the US one that many posters here are familiar with. In the US unless an officer directly witnesses a crime, generally the other party must press charges before they can do something (with obvious exceptions like murder). So a lot of posters may be shocked to find out that in the UK the police *don't* need someone to file/press assault charges in order to proceed.

Semi correct, you don't in the US either, there are a whole group of things that the DA (the police do not prosecute here, they investigate) can charge someone with, google Slava Voynov.

If he's found guilty that could scupper him from working stateside in the future.

Not really, but Canada becomes an issue.

If you wan't to know what will happen with Top Gear, look at Two and a half men.

That is a an excellent analogy, both shows worldwide had about the same audience numbers, the big difference was how much Charlie Sheen was getting paid, he was actually making more for one episode than JC was making per year, which should put this whole mess into perspective for everyone, CMH will, if they choose, make more money in one year than they did in their whole time at the BBC.

Erm, yeah, actually it *is* a sackable offense on productions I've worked on. The key here is in how it was evidently handled. Okay, fine, hotel kitchen is closing. Principals of the film still aren't there, but your job is to make sure they have food, at least on that day. Apparently he did not attempt to arrange for an alternative or contact the principals to explain the developing problem ahead of time, either of which would have been professionally acceptable. Nope, the first notice that anyone else had that he'd failed was when they walked in expecting food that they had had no reason to believe wouldn't be there - with no alternative laid on. On many productions that I've worked on or around, that right there is grounds for sanction or termination depending on how badly the person screwed up and/or didn't immediately notify higher that there was a problem they couldn't deal with. Handing the production a nasty surprise that got worse because you didn't want to report it and eventually someone else found out about it the hard way is a big no no.

Now, I'm not blaming him for ruining Top Gear or anything like that because that's silly. I *am* holding him to the same standard of professionalism that Jeremy was held to, failed to meet and was terminated for so doing.

To use the "ooops, took the key" thing - there's a difference between an honest mistake that you try to rectify as soon as you discover it and intentionally or negligently burying a problem that you can't solve until someone else finds out about it and you are *forced* to own up to it. The latter will, correctly, get you disciplined or fired.

Exactly.

Makes me wonder how long Clarkson would have to stay away, for all we know he comes back in 2016 having taken the rest of the year and a bit of next off and they continue on with Top Gear, I know it's probably not very likely.

Doubtful, but I am wondering, if the show goes on, do we get to see Jezza do SIARPC

Netflix would take him. One of their biggest hits - Orange is the New Black - is based on a woman who spent a year in prison for felony money-laundering.

The list of networks that would take him (along with the other two) is pretty much...All of them, the idea that commercial channels can't do a Top Gear type program because of the chance that the boys will rip into say, BMW's latest and greatest is BS,, the networks care about one thing, the number of viewers, specifically the key demographic, males aged 18-54......If BMW doesn't want to advertise on a network that produces and carries whatever (should they even decide to do it) the next version of TG, there will be other companies falling over themselves to throw money at the network.

At work yesterday, the next step for CMH was being discussed (yes, in a management meeting of a multi billion dollar company this subject was the lead discussion, in the US, which should tell you how far reaching TG really is) the HBO/Netflix idea seemed to be the way our guys would go...Why means NBC should probably grab it.

Hmm, maybe this will finally convince me to subscribe to netflix

/penny pincher :mrgreen:

LOL, and there is the reason why, heck they get 1% of the audience world wide and Netflix is laughing.

Depending on when Clarkson's contract expires [to avoid conflict], and when the current season of Fifth Gear ends, I wouldn't surprised if Jezza does a cameo on the show.

Hmmm, taking that in a slightly different direction..

"Tonight, on the all new Fifth Gear, I ride a bike, James wears a hat and Richard says nothing"....

One other thing that comes to mind, my wife has zero interest in cars, but she loved the travel part of it, seeing places that she has never seen before and then putting them on the bucket list, I mean, is there anyone here who didn't watch the Vietnam special and think that there were parts of that country that were stunning ?

Last edited:
It would be unlikely that Jeremy would go to jail, and all pressing charges would do is just add more to his plate with little benefit. Jeremy's de facto sacking is probably punishment enough in his eyes.

Any other person would go to jail for assault, why not Jeremy? Think of the damage Tymon and the BBC could do with that. An indictment, a mugshot that would grace the front of literally every newspaper and magazine in the UK, and no network would hire him with a criminal conviction. They'd be daft not to pursue charges.

Any other person would go to jail for assault, why not Jeremy? Think of the damage Tymon and the BBC could do with that. An indictment, a mugshot that would grace the front of literally every newspaper and magazine in the UK, and no network would hire him with a criminal conviction. They'd be daft not to pursue charges.

to jail, really? Over this? Sounds like you're a vindictive little person. Vindictive people are very ugly.

i hope Jeremy takes the time he needs to get his head together and have a break . once he's done that he can make his comeback.

I would be very surprised if a criminal conviction - especially a misdemeanor level one - would end the career of Jeremy Clarkson. Assuming he would actually serve time. To mis-use a euphemism, he may be "too big to jail" for the charges that could be levied against him.

And considering how much hate is being directed at Mr. Tymon (and the BBC) already, for him to actually move to press charges would probably really bring out the crazies. He may very well feel that any "satisfaction" he might get from such an action, even if it results in a successful prosecution and incarceration, would not make up for the backlash he would face.

He would not go to jail for this and to say no network would hire him is just laughable.
There are lots of networks (like all of them) that don't care if the person they hire got a conviction, especially not something like this would give him.

The Facetube comments are making my brain ache. Not a single constructive one to be found.
Constructive? Because someone outside of BBC and The Trio+Wilman are gonna somehow have the answer to all of this, or maybe have magic genie powers to turn back time. Right. And I'm sure you'd appreciate it if some random person walked into your workplace and told you how to do your job, especially after one of your coworkers just punched you in the face. Grow up people. All this coddling of each other and expecting everyone to be bubbles and sunshine isn't going to get you anywhere - it's gonna get you mugged in a back alley.

- - - Updated - - -

Any other person would go to jail for assault...

Umm, no they wouldn't. Stop being a baby. People get in fights all the time.

Constructive? Because someone outside of BBC and The Trio+Wilman are gonna somehow have the answer to all of this, or maybe have magic genie powers to turn back time. Right. And I'm sure you'd appreciate it if some random person walked into your workplace and told you how to do your job, especially after one of your coworkers just punched you in the face. Grow up people. All this coddling of each other and expecting everyone to be bubbles and sunshine isn't going to get you anywhere - it's gonna get you mugged in a back alley.

You're as bad as the twats in the comments section, The "Top Gear team" have asked for suggestions it would be nice if they got some instead of the insane ramblings of lunatics repeating the same things over and over.

Well, I am a lazy Norwegian and if someone punched me in the face I would man up and punch him/her right back!
Why would I want someone in jail for just punching me in the face?

Status
Not open for further replies.