Jeremy Clarkson Suspended Over Fracas

Status
Not open for further replies.
My thanks to Skylock for all those newspaper links.

Maybe I'm asking this in the wrong section, but did James delete his Twitter account? I don't see him on there anymore.

And now he's commenting not making profit of his #StillUnemployed videos. :)

Am I weird for thinking this whole thing is a giant elaborate scheme made by BBC and the quartet (Jezza, Hamster, Cpt Slow and Wilman) so they could work on a new version of Top Gear in relative peace that would air in 2016?

Maybe half true, from having a read of Richards book On the Edge he's a guy who takes his career quite seriously quite a bit more then James May at least appears to do.
It wouldn't surprise me if he's having some very serious discussions about continuing on with Top Gear as it could potentially be quite good for him if it continues to succeed but also I think it's important to remember that it's quite easy for Hammond to just shut himself inside his farm and make all these decisions in private incase he accidentally says something to the press that will damage him or something.

He described Top Gear more than once as "his dream job". I also wonder if because of his accident that he feels closer to the "whole" crew of TG more than May and Clarkson. Don't forget, it was the producers and show runners who helped Richard's family and also arranged the Scotland getaway afterwards. Not downplaying his friendship with May and Clarkson (or their help during that time), but just maybe it's a much harder decision for Richard to leave them.

Am I weird for thinking this whole thing is a giant elaborate scheme made by BBC and the quartet (Jezza, Hamster, Cpt Slow and Wilman) so they could work on a new version of Top Gear in relative peace that would air in 2016?

Denial_riverinegypt.jpg

Sorry to be Captain Obvious but The Nile and DeNial sound the same

Sorry to outrank you, Captain Obvious, but Major Obvious would like to point out:
attachment.php

Attachments

• 463.jpg
    463.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 50
Honestly I hope Richard does not have plans to try top gear alone.

I don't think it would work to his advantage.

Frankly, I think he already gets beat up in his role on the show now. I don't want to hear what would be said if the show didn't turn out very good. I like Richard on top gear. Other things, not so much.

I remember a thread of if one of them have to go who should it be. It was like 99% Richard.

Actually, he did fine pre-accident with a couple of TG DVDs, and his 50 Years of Bond Cars was pretty good. Also, he's managed to get Ben Collins back on-screen with TG (the war amps rally episode), so getting an ex-Stig to work with him would be an advantage.

Likewise, James May's Cars of the People does prove that he can do a TG-type program on his own, with his own sensibility.

Last edited:
There is no such thing as the river Denial in Egypt.

Sorry to be Captain Obvious but The Nile and DeNial sound the same

In the US, there is a common phrase people respond with (often attributed to Mark Twain) when they think someone is denying something they have actually said/done/thought: "'Denial' [or "the Nile", pronounced like "de Nile"] ain't just a river in Egypt."

Last edited:
Actually, he did fine pre-accident with a couple of TG DVDs, and his 50 Years of Bond Cars was pretty good. Also, he's managed to get Ben Collins back on-screen with TG (the war amps rally episode), so getting an ex-Stig to work with him would be an advantage.

Likewise, James May's Cars of the People does prove that he can do a TG-type program on his own, with his own sensibility.
It is not pre accident anymore.

Hammond cannot carry tg by himself and I like him to much to want to know what would happen.

Something else on his own, fine. Something with the other two, great.

But I am still holding out for a return of top gear.

Just got to keep up the pressure on the bbc.

Not by making death threats but by "unliking" all bbc pages. I cancelled my bbca tier of my cable. Didn't really watch it anyway so why keep paying?

There are people that keep track of these number things. If they go down, they try to figure out why.

If Jeremy can behave himself for a while, and he seems to be doing so now, I think they will be back in 2016.

Honestly I hope Richard does not have plans to try top gear alone.

I don't think it would work to his advantage.

Frankly, I think he already gets beat up in his role on the show now. I don't want to hear what would be said if the show didn't turn out very good. I like Richard on top gear. Other things, not so much.

I cannot see either Richard or James going it alone on TG...together with another presenter they might stand a chance if Wilman is still in charge. If Alan Yentob would seriously like that to happen then presumably he's asked them to come up with suggestions for who they might like to work with. I think it's highly unlikely to happen though.

Both presenters have a solid body of solo work behind them and I personally would love them to do something non-TG together - they have enough joint interests and I have always felt that the Richard/James double act was one of the better ones - that they bring out the best in each other far more than any of the other combinations. Science, engineering, technology, motorbikes.....so much to chose from. It does seem a shame that for the first year ever neither man appears to have any other projects ongoing - infact in December Richard told Chris Evans that TG was going to be his focus in 2015. Which makes Jeremy's fuck up all the more of a bummer for both of them.

I find how James has dealt with the aftermath far more surprising than Richard. Who would have thought that the James of old would have started doing these personal videos.? He's relaxed so much from the awkward buttoned-up man of the earlier series. That's really nice to see. I'm sure it will lead him into some work that will satisfy his integrity and personal interests.

Richard always has retreated to house and family when things get tough...he has 2 teenage girls to look after and keep the Press pack away from. They would have been his priority. There was a tweet last week from someone describing having had a 'very productive meeting with Richard Hammond' so he isn't letting the grass grow under his feet. He has without doubt the most costly domestic set up to keep running and Richard is, above all else, very pragmatic when it comes to earning money. Oh and Richard appears to be on a family holiday in Cyprus at present - so he won't be tweetig anyway..he only tweets when he's either away from home or bored or both!

Richard and James have 2 very differing approaches to their professional lives - as different as they are personally from each other really. Both are perfectly valid. They just probably won't be able to go swapping motorbikes like marbles quite so much in the future :)

I don't think it is likely that James, Richard and Andy would do anything "Topgearish" on their own UNLESS they were approved or even asked by Jeremy to do so.

Jeremy Clarkson Suspended Over Fracas

Maybe the name "Jeremy Clarkson's Motorworld" will resurface?

Oh, geez! What horrifying thoughts now! Oh, you bet, I could see Hammond moving forward with "the new Top Gear," whether May goes along or not. Indeed, think about all of the "filler" shows that Hammond has done alone (Top 41 segments) or with May (the absolutely DREADFUL "Apocalypse" show) and so on -- I looked into the production companies listed in the credits for some of those, and at least a lot of it was done by "Hammond's production company."

I'm sorry, but I really like Jeremy, and I like James quite a bit more, but I just mainly "tolerate" Hammond. I dearly love every single thing that James and Jeremy have done on their own, but what I've seen of Hammond's non-Top Gear stuff has been, well, just barely this side of awful. "Richard Hammond's Crash Course" comes to mind -- I thought that was basically miserable.

So, can you see a "new Top Gear" with Richard as the big cheese, "running the show" rather like Jeremy has been doing? I could easily handle May and Hammond moving forward with a third presenter, but with Hammond alone with two new presenters doesn't appeal to me at all. "The horrors."

Now I'll probably have nightmares all night for the next couple of weeks. Gaaah.

Status
Not open for further replies.