Jeremy says no to hosting US Top Gear

Come on Jeremy, be like the other brits, Victoria and David Beckham and cross the pond. The show would be a lot more interesting, expecially the star in a resonably priced car segment, because they would actually have famous people.

The British audience know who they are and let's be honest - only we matter. I'm loving this; the Yankee Doodles want something of ours and are getting all pissy pants because they can't have it. :D

2,3,4 -

I shall not cease from Mental Fight
Nor shall my Sword sleep in my hand
Till we have built Jerusalem
In England's green & pleasant Land.

Aw, bless 'em, just watch our version - we don't mind, we are all friends - until you start getting fucking arrogant and demanding your own version. :mad:

I really think the US version of Top Gear would work. I don't exactly why, but I think it wouldn't. There are so many factors that make the show great as it is in England that changing it to a completely new country would spoil it.

Besides what's the point of doing it in the U.S.A where they would review American cars if the vast majority of the audience is European and the program was created to review cars from all over the world and specially European and British cars.

I really think the US version of Top Gear would work. I don't exactly why, but I think it wouldn't.

No offense, but i get the feeling that you just dont want it to work.

What if the beatles has never gone on the Ed Sullivan show and became famous in the US? Sure the would have had a pretty successful career in the UK, but i'm sure they would have been forgotten by now. Top gear is amazing, as an American i know it would blow up here, and has the potential to become a legendary TV show worldwide, the UK just needs to release it upon the world, not hoard and hide it.

Like it or not, Popular culture lives and dies in the US market.

Oh god not you again

Yeah, me. You got anything of substance to contribute? Or just the usual bag of overused generalizations?

I don't know why so many non-Americans are so against this idea. When TG was last in the USA, you all called it among the best TopGear of all time. I think it's just pride, at this point. Can't stand the possibility of the crew crossing that pond.

Oh please after what happened in Boston with ATHF, and CEO of Cartoon Network resigning over it...all I can say is US doesn't deserve a show like Top Gear. Bitter, paranoid, insecure, humorless people here would immediately start flooding BBC with comments stating their displeasure over this and over that part of the programme. I think Americans deserve crappys show like "Pinks", "Test Drive" and whatever other garbage they have on Speed/NapcarTV these days.

Oh please after what happened in Boston with ATHF, and CEO of Cartoon Network resigning over it...all I can say is US doesn't deserve a show like Top Gear. Bitter, paranoid, insecure, humorless people here would immediately start flooding BBC with comments stating their displeasure over this and over that part of the programme. I think Americans deserve crappys show like "Pinks", "Test Drive" and whatever other garbage they have on Speed/NapcarTV these days.
How's that whole Health and Safety thing working out for you guys?

P.S. We're not the 13 people complaining about German jokes. (American jokes, maybe.)

As someone stated already in this thread, TopGear is mild compared to some of our shows.
And you'd be a liar to claim the BBC doesn't already get flooded with complaints every time Jeremy starts making fun of people.

I never did understand why the CEO resigned over the ATHF incident. No one asked him to.
He was probably looking for a reason, if you ask me.

Yeah, me. You got anything of substance to contribute? Or just the usual bag of overused generalizations?

I don't know why so many non-Americans are so against this idea. When TG was last in the USA, you all called it among the best TopGear of all time. I think it's just pride, at this point. Can't stand the possibility of the crew crossing that pond.

I dunno others think, but I liked the US road trip episode was because it offers a glimpse how Brits think about the States during the road trips. That's the thing I liked the most.

Man, I don't understand but that episode really made the States a laughing stock at least from where I'm from. And you yankees seems like take pride in such stuff. :?

The only good TV entertainment that came out from the States IMHO for the past 5 years was The Chappelle Show. Other than that, sorry.

Even I despised those hard-core "Heroes" fans around my workplace. Blardy geeks with limited imaginations, some of them are even fool enough to travel down to Sillypore just to have a glimpse of some the cast members.

Top Gear, in it's current format, would never work in this country. Every attempt at a good automotive program in this country has been relatively unsuccessful. You can not be "edgy" enough for mainstream audience when you have to worry about advertisers and their money.

Mainstream media thinks in way larger numbers than the number of people who would sit down and watch this show here every week. To show you how clueless American television executives are, they do not look at DVR statistics and tell people if you want your show to stay on the air, you must watch it live when it airs, and not TiVo it for later viewing.

I would buy cable or satellite television at whatever rate they wanted for the opportunity to see this show on television, even if it's just a re-airing of the British version (unmolested, of course), and would gladly buy a DVD set if they made it available, as I know many people on here would.

I just don't see this show jiving well with the average American television watcher, and I don't see any network going out on a limb to risk working with Clarkson. Just my 2 cents.

The only good TV entertainment that came out from the States IMHO for the past 5 years was The Chappelle Show. Other than that, sorry.

Even I despised those hard-core "Heroes" fans around my workplace. Blardy geeks with limited imaginations, some of them are even fool enough to travel down to Sillypore just to have a glimpse of some the cast members.

You think the Chappelle Show was quality programing and Heroes sucked? :?

Many successful pieces have been/and are over here that have not gone to America. It is a bit intolerant to just assume what you say, particularly as the US is only one country. For example Neighbours is not in the US and it is immense in the UK. As with comedies such as Only Fools and Horses, The Good Life and shows like Top Gear, Mock the Week, Have I got news for you, 2DTV, Eastenders, Cold Feet, Hustle, Life On Mars, Doctor Who, Robin Hood, Phoenix nights etc etc. Add to that several west end plays, many more tv shows and of course PANTOMIME! In terms of music, artists such as Just Jack and many others are popular in the UK. Also, it is natural for stars to broaden their horizons, as many Americans like to do over here (which is so kind of them)! So maybe, it's a case of popular culture is only popular culture if it is successful here ;)

Add to that, many football players, Formula 1 racing, drinking tea, London Taxi, London bus, cucumber sandwich :lol: English supermarkets, driving on the correct side of the road (and not copying the French;))
Obviously there are many things that are not in the US that are in popular culture. So it was very arrogant and stupid to suggest that :lol:

Many successful pieces have been/and are over here that have not gone to America. It is a bit intolerant to just assume what you say, particularly as the US is only one country. For example Neighbours is not in the US and it is immense in the UK. As with comedies such as Only Fools and Horses, The Good Life and shows like Top Gear, Mock the Week, Have I got news for you, 2DTV, Eastenders, Cold Feet, Hustle, Life On Mars, Doctor Who, Robin Hood, Phoenix nights etc etc. Add to that several west end plays, many more tv shows and of course PANTOMIME! In terms of music, artists such as Just Jack and many others are popular in the UK. Also, it is natural for stars to broaden their horizons, as many Americans like to do over here (which is so kind of them)! So maybe, it's a case of popular culture is only popular culture if it is successful here ;)

Add to that, many football players, Formula 1 racing, drinking tea, London Taxi, London bus, cucumber sandwich :lol: English supermarkets, driving on the correct side of the road (and not copying the French;))
Obviously there are many things that are not in the US that are in popular culture. So it was very arrogant and stupid to suggest that :lol:

here here! :)

No Americans, you can't have your own version of Topgear with JC and the gang. Not Yours :p

You know something, I don't give a damn about US. They got their ways and a lot of things suck in the US... And I mean a lot! But I would love to see more of top gear! And I believe that Jeremy and the gang will still make cracks at the rubbish cars like: if you're thinking about buying a GM, don't! lol
So think about it, it would mean that we would get two seasons of top gear a year instead of only one! And the way the show is engineered, I believe it will still be as good as the original version!
Think about it...

See, that's my point, and you're completely missing it. Over here, nobody even has any idea who Robbie Williams even IS. "Oh, do you mean Robin Williams, nanoo nanoo?" He could walk the streets of Manhattan in anonymity. I don't think I've even heard one of his songs, ever, and if I did I wouldn't know it. I just read his Wikipedia entry, and saw they tried to bring him here in 1999 and he was a collossal flop. NOW PAY ATTENTION: This may be exactly what Jeremy Clarkson is truly afraid of. Maybe he advised David Beckham not to go to Los Angeles. Jeremy's a God in England, and like Robbie Williams he could be a collossal flop in the US. It's a big risk for him. It means leaving the safety of BBC{1..n}. I completely sympathise with him. There's a greater chance of failure than success.

Look, I think it's pretty clear to most people that I generally like England. I like many of those artists. I like many English movies (just not Rocky Horror). I mean, come on, the average American has no idea about Black Adder even existing. I'm not the biggest Anglophile in the world but I like and admire England.

However, again, my point is that England, in the entertainment industry, is relatively tiny, it's the junior circuit. That's all. That may hurt your pride but you have to objectively admit it is true. Why do you think the Beatles came here, and why do you think Lennon and McCartney both chose to live here after they broke up?

Yes, you have many talented actors, musicians, and artists. I'm not saying ENGLAND SUCKS. Just saying it's a small pond and Jeremy's a whale in that pond. Here he'd be a koi in a large sea. Maybe that would be a blow to his ego. Maybe he has a fear of failure. Maybe he's just tired of Top Gear and doesn't want to prolong it. Maybe he's afraid of the much, much brighter spot light. It's a lot of pressure. He can thrive, or wilt beneath the heat.

If you want to go tit-for-tat on the namedropping, I could probably match you with artists and stars from simply my home state of New Jersey -- Frank Sinatra, Bruce Springsteen, Bon Jovi, The Smithereens, Monster Magnet, The Misfits, Sara Vaughan, Debbie Harry, Blues Traveler, Spin Doctors, Zakk Wylde, Frankie Valli, My Chemical Romance, Pete Yorn, Lauryn Hill, Whitney Houston, Count Basey, Dizzy Gillespie; Bruce Willis, Kevin Smith, Kevin Spacey, James Gandolfini, Joe Pantoliano, Ed Harris, Budd Abbott and Lou Costello, Jerry Lewis, Meryl Streep, Ray Liotta, Michael Douglass, Kirsten Dunst, Danny DeVito, Steven VanZandt, John Travolta, and last but not least Hugh Laurie's BFF Robert Sean Leonard, et al. That's just one tiny stinking state out of 50.

Let me make it loud and clear: I like and admire England.

You missed my point, you claimed the US was THE market yet Robbie Williams is HIGHLY successful without needing to be popular in the US. He is the best selling artist in the world, he got the biggest record deal ever, all without being 'big' in the US.

Artists dont need the US to get rich and famous. Sorry.

And Jeremy is far from a 'WHALE' in our pond. He is a TV presenter/columnist, nothing more. Top Gear gets 5 million viewers? Eastenders/Coronation Street get upto 15 million viewers. Thats 1/4 of the country. Jeremy is hardly ever on TV apart from TG, hes been on a chat show maybe once in the past 3 years and hosted one or two shows. Yes, he truly sounds like a BEAST of the entertainment world!

And i already said why people go to the US. You have MORE people therefore there is a bigger market to make money! Its not rocket science. What? Do you want an award for having a bigger population? OK, Bravo. Well done indeed for breeding.

Oh and finally, you think people dont know Blackadder, well how about these BRITISH TV shows which have been remade for the US:

Agony The Lucie Arnaz Show
Airline Airline British version renamed Airline UK in the US
Antiques Roadshow Antiques Roadshow
Are You Being Served? Beanes of Boston Un-aired pilot. The sequel Grace and Favour was called Are You Being Served? Again! in the US
As If As If
Ballykissangel Hope Island
Birds of a Feather Stand by Your Man
Blackpool Viva Laughlin! Confirmed on CBS Fall schedule
Brat Camp Brat Camp
Cash in the Attic Cash in the Attic
CD:UK CD USA
Celebrity Fit Club Celebrity Fit Club Both versions featured Former US Marine Harvey Walden IV as a judge, but the other judges are changed often
Changing Rooms Trading Spaces
Cold Feet Cold Feet
Cracker Cracker US remake is known as Fitz in the UK
Coupling Coupling US remake was cancelled after four episodes. In turn, the original British show was inspired by US television shows Friends and Seinfeld.
Dad's Army The Rear Guard Pilot episode only
Dear John Dear John Known as Dear John USA in the UK
Distraction Distraction Same host (Jimmy Carr)
Doctor Who Doctor Who 1996 pilot movie only with Paul McGann as the 8th Doctor
Dog Eat Dog Dog Eat Dog
Don't Forget Your Toothbrush Don't Forget Your Toothbrush
Faking It Faking It
The Fall and Rise of Reginald Perrin Reggie
Fawlty Towers Chateau Snavely Pilot episode only with Harvey Korman & Betty White
Amanda's Starring Beatrice Arthur
Payne Starring John Larroquette
Footballers' Wives Football Wives Confirmed pilot
Ant & Dec's Gameshow Marathon Gameshow Marathon
George and Mildred The Ropers
The Grimleys The Grubbs
Hell's Kitchen Hell's Kitchen
Hit Me Baby One More Time Hit Me Baby One More Time Same host, both ITV productions.
Holding the Baby Holding the Baby
Home to Roost You Again
Honey, We're Killing the Kids Honey We're Killing the Kids
How Clean Is Your House? How Clean Is Your House?
I'd Do Anything I'd Do Anything George Gray hosted US version on ESPN -- hosted his third US version of a British show.
I'm a Celebrity, Get Me Out of Here! I'm a Celebrity, Get Me Out of Here!
The IT Crowd The IT Crowd Confirmed pilot
Keep it in the Family Too Close for Comfort
Life on Mars Life on Mars Confirmed pilot, set in Los Angeles.
Love Thy Neighbour Love Thy Neighbor
Man About The House Three's Company
Masterchef Masterchef
Max Headroom Max Headroom
Men Behaving Badly Men Behaving badly
Mind Your Language What a Country
Mr. Men and Little Miss Mr. Men Show
Never Mind The Buzzcocks Never Mind The Buzzcocks
The 1900 House Frontier House
Not the Nine O'Clock News Not Necessarily the News The Daily Show, especially in its earlier incarnation under Craig Kilborn, also owes a great deal to this show.
The Office The Office Known as The Office: An American Workplace when aired in UK.
On the Buses Lotsa Luck
One Foot in the Grave Cosby Many differences.
Pop Idol American Idol: The Search for a Superstar Both with Simon Cowell as a judge
Porridge On the Rocks
Queer As Folk Queer As Folk
Red Dwarf Red Dwarf Two un-aired pilots
Robin's Nest Three's a Crowd
Robot Wars Robot Wars: Extreme Warriors Filmed alongside the UK show in 2001 and 2002.
Scrapheap Challenge Junkyard Wars .[1]
Spitting Image D.C. Follies
Steptoe and Son Sanford and Son Relied on race as well as class
Strictly Come Dancing Dancing with the Stars
Supernanny Supernanny British episodes shown along with US episodes
Teachers Teachers Cancelled after 6 episodes.
That Was The Week That Was That Was The Week That Was Both versions hosted by David Frost
The Thick of It The Thick of It (US TV series) Currently under development by Mitchell Hurwitz. [1]
This Life First Years
Till Death Us Do Part All in the Family
Touching Evil Touching Evil
Trigger Happy TV Trigger Happy TV Dom Joly appears in both versions of the show, despite the US version having a mostly new cast - Joly was the only on screen star in the UK Version. The American version is known as "Trigger Happy USA" when aired in the UK
The Vicar of Dibley The Minister Of Divine Confirmed pilot starring Kirstie Alley
The Weakest Link Weakest Link (US) Anne Robinson hosted both the UK version and the original US primetime version.
What Not to Wear What Not to Wear
Who Wants to Be a Millionaire? Who Wants to Be a Millionaire
Whose Line Is It Anyway? Whose Line Is It Anyway? UK version hosted by Clive Anderson as were initial episodes of the US version before Drew Carey became the permanent host.
Wife Swap Wife Swap (ABC) / Trading Spouses (FOX)

But dont get me wrong, the US produces some of the best shows in the world, TV would be very boring without the US. But Top Gear shouldnt move or risk losing its magic of a Sunday night BBC2 slot where it can get away with what it likes (or almost)

Last edited:
No offense, but i get the feeling that you just dont want it to work.

What if the beatles has never gone on the Ed Sullivan show and became famous in the US? Sure the would have had a pretty successful career in the UK, but i'm sure they would have been forgotten by now. Top gear is amazing, as an American i know it would blow up here, and has the potential to become a legendary TV show worldwide, the UK just needs to release it upon the world, not hoard and hide it.

Hide it? Wow, you are reading WAY too much into this. Why on earth does the UK need to send Top Gear to the US. Lets face it, you are feeling hurt because Clarkson rejected you and so now are making excuses as to why he did. "ohh hes scared of failure"

Popular culture? What you mean great shows like the 'Simple Life'? No thanks, id rather Top Gear stayed here and didnt get watered down with commercial breaks every 5 seconds, product placement and sponsorship, the boys being muted incase they offended a company or someone who knows someone who works producing the show.

What you are saying is "top gear is GREAT, maybe the best car show on the planet so lets bring it to the US so it can be ______" i dont understand what you want from the show. If its already the BEST show in the world why move it or change anything? It already gets millions of viewers around the world.

Last edited:
You think the Chappelle Show was quality programing and Heroes sucked? :?

Yeah, Chappelle Show is better IMHO.

Look, I am not here to shove my preference down your throat and neither I am letting you to do so to me.

I am just stating out my point of view thats all. ;)

Yeah, I've got plenty to contribute. But I'm well aware it's wasted responding to someone like you, who struggles to understand simple concepts like the TV License Fee.

Besides, I'm getting a little bored of this thread, so that's two reasons for me to end it here.

Besides what's the point of doing it in the U.S.A where they would review American cars if the vast majority of the audience is European and the program was created to review cars from all over the world and specially European and British cars.

(1) I quite enjoy seeing cars reviewed that do not exist in the US market. Aren't you curious or do you want yet another review of a Volkswagen Golf?
(2) Part of Top Gear's appeal are the challenges and journeys, the epic environments which are used as backdrop to the reviews and drama. Imagine a voyage to the bottom of the Grand Canyon, a race down Route 66, a journey through the Florida keys, a trip to Niagara Falls, a race up Pike's Peak, a challenge in the canyons of Manhattan. Even if you forget the cars, America's got some epic backdrop to give.

(1) I quite enjoy seeing cars reviewed that do not exist in the US market. Aren't you curious or do you want yet another review of a Volkswagen Golf?
(2) Part of Top Gear's appeal are the challenges and journeys, the epic environments which are used as backdrop to the reviews and drama. Imagine a voyage to the bottom of the Grand Canyon, a race down Route 66, a journey through the Florida keys, a trip to Niagara Falls, a race up Pike's Peak, a challenge in the canyons of Manhattan. Even if you forget the cars, America's got some epic backdrop to give.

Maybe you are right. And I can see the point you are trying to make. But here in Europe we also have may places where they could do other challenges.

The thing is I think it would be great to have an American Top Gear presented by three american blokes. This way the American Top Gear would have the feel of the program but adapted to the likings of american people. This way we would have tow Top Gears for the price on NONE :D

I also think it would be great to see reviews of American cars and see how much different they are from European cars. But I don't really think that moving the 3 presenters to the States would be the best solution.

I would be quite happy with new episodes being shown on BBCAmerica, and maybe a review-gag of american-available cars, it seems the UK only gets the really good, or really bad american cars.