Jeremy says no to hosting US Top Gear

Man, I don't understand but that episode really made the States a laughing stock at least from where I'm from. And you yankees seems like take pride in such stuff. :?

The people that episode made fun of are the same people that would probably attack you for calling them a Yankee.

The thing is I think it would be great to have an American Top Gear presented by three american blokes. This way the American Top Gear would have the feel of the program but adapted to the likings of american people. This way we would have tow Top Gears for the price on NONE :D

I also think it would be great to see reviews of American cars and see how much different they are from European cars. But I don't really think that moving the 3 presenters to the States would be the best solution.

I'd like to see the 3 review some American cars, just to see what they might say, and not just things like the Mustang, or corvette, but the Pontiac Grand prix, or Ford 500/Taurus, just for shits and giggles.

I really like the idea of a TG with American hosts, but it would be nice if they still worked with the guys back in the UK for idea's and some influence, and slowly let the Americans do their own thing and see how well it works out. With luck, it'll be a success and it could be worth sending outside the US, and may be vice-versa.

Last edited:
Yeah, I've got plenty to contribute. But I'm well aware it's wasted responding to someone like you, who struggles to understand simple concepts like the TV License Fee.

Besides, I'm getting a little bored of this thread, so that's two reasons for me to end it here.

You really are full of it. And not afraid to show it either, bravo.

Like I said, just more overused rhetoric.

(1) I quite enjoy seeing cars reviewed that do not exist in the US market. Aren't you curious or do you want yet another review of a Volkswagen Golf?
(2) Part of Top Gear's appeal are the challenges and journeys, the epic environments which are used as backdrop to the reviews and drama. Imagine a voyage to the bottom of the Grand Canyon, a race down Route 66, a journey through the Florida keys, a trip to Niagara Falls, a race up Pike's Peak, a challenge in the canyons of Manhattan. Even if you forget the cars, America's got some epic backdrop to give.

Yeah, that's exactly the reason why I'd like to see the guys do a US TopGear. I don't want them to change anything either. I just find it funny that everyone assumes the show would die because of complaints. Complaints about what? Apparently TopGear makes fun of the rest of the world just as much as the US, right? Or so I've been told.

When I posted this link to the Suns story about this I didn't realise it would cause such an UK-US insult war. So I might as well put my bit into the pot.

I can't understand what all the fuss is about, everyone on this forum is on here for one reason, they are TOP GEAR fans and if you love the show WHY do you want to change it. You love it for the bickering and the humour as much as the car reviews and i'm sorry but I dont think that will work the same in the US.

In deciding not to go to the US Jeremy is just following his own advice from series 9 "Don't go to America".

At least I have reasons for my opinion. You just seem to want to throw around smartass personal insults in place of actual arguments. Why don't you try responding to my post with something of substance, rather then one-liners?

"I cant wait for US top gear!"

"Yeah, minus Jezza, Slow and Hamster.
Either that or you can keep dreaming. ;)"

"I think you may just be in denial. If they were ever even vaguely considering coming to the US for a US version of TopGear, it was for a reason, and that reason is still there. Jeremy would never consider doing TopGear in America, and then suddenly shoot down the idea because it would require him to spend time in America. I don't think anyone is that fucking stupid. MattD1zzl3 is probably more right then you're willing to accept."

Oh god not you again

The only post you've made that had anything vaguely interesting was this:
I'm not sure I agree with you guys there, I think if TG USA were to be a flop it would have an adverse effect on Jezza's standing here. Sure, TG USA could launch, fail, get axed, and no one in the US would notice, but IMO it would get noticed here in the UK, and I don't think Jezza particularly likes the thought of being labelled a failure or flop. Especially considering he's coming towards the end of his career, and speaking in a British television context, it's legacy time for him and what will get written in his obituary.
So you think Clarkson is afraid of attempting a career in the United States? That's still doesn't explain why he would consider the possibility and then shoot it down for family reasons. I also don't see why the show would change. The only reason they'd consider it is because of people like us, the fans. I don't care if they use the metric system or the imperial system. I don't care if they use British slang insults when bickering with eachother. I don't even care if they want to throw the occasional insult at the US. That's part of the appeal to the show. And I'm sure Jeremy would have shot down the US proposal if they were going to ask him to make so many drastic changes like that. Clarkson is more of a comedian then anything else. He's like the British Automotive equivalent of Jon Stewart.

Like janstett, I want to see TopGear in the US just for the backdrop. It seems like most of the TopGear clips, old and new, where Jeremy visits the USA, he always chooses some of the worse areas to come to. Detroit? Miami? Post Katrina New Orleans? Las Vegas? pfft It would be cool to see him expand his horizons and go to various other parts of the country, that aren't flooded with tourists 24-7.

At least I have reasons for my opinion. You just seem to want to throw around smartass personal insults in place of actual arguments. Why don't you try responding to my post with something of substance, rather then one-liners?

The only post you've made that had anything vaguely interesting was this:

So you think Clarkson is afraid of attempting a career in the United States? That's still doesn't explain why he would consider the possibility and then shoot it down for family reasons. I also don't see why the show would change. The only reason they'd consider it is because of people like us, the fans. I don't care if they use the metric system or the imperial system. I don't care if they use British slang insults when bickering with eachother. I don't even care if they want to throw the occasional insult at the US. That's part of the appeal to the show. And I'm sure Jeremy would have shot down the US proposal if they were going to ask him to make so many drastic changes like that. Clarkson is more of a comedian then anything else. He's like the British Automotive equivalent of Jon Stewart.

Like janstett, I want to see TopGear in the US just for the backdrop. It seems like most of the TopGear clips, old and new, where Jeremy visits the USA, he always chooses some of the worse areas to come to. Detroit? Miami? Post Katrina New Orleans? Las Vegas? pfft It would be cool to see him expand his horizons and go to various other parts of the country, that aren't flooded with tourists 24-7.

My last experience of 'debating' with you (though I use the term very loosely) was me having to repeat a few simple points several times over, something which got tiring for me and no doubt the other people reading the thread. I have a feeling this is likely to go in the same direction.

However, if you're really interested in discussing this, I'd be more then happy to give you my response via PM.

I don't care if they use the metric system or the imperial system. I don't care if they use British slang insults when bickering with eachother. I don't even care if they want to throw the occasional insult at the US. That's part of the appeal to the show

If you love all of this WHY do you want to change it. WHY can't you just be happy with the show they make. Maybe they have not visited the best places the US has to offer but that doesn't mean they have to make a whole series over there.

IF IT AINT BROKE DONT FIX IT

If you love all of this WHY do you want to change it. WHY can't you just be happy with the show they make. Maybe they have not visited the best places the US has to offer but that doesn't mean they have to make a whole series over there.

IF IT AINT BROKE DONT FIX IT
I do not want the show to change.

I just think it would be cool to do a US or even a North American TopGear series (if that helps) for a change. They've left the UK plenty of times for challenges. And even left Europe a fews times.

TopGear peaked in series 7. The last couple years feel like a decline. It seems they're bored reviewing cars and instead want TopGear to be their own BBC Sponsered excuse to screw off.

They've pretty much done everything. It seems like they're getting bored. The Polar Challenge was a nice change for the show and completely different then anything they've done in the past.

Last edited:
Im not saying they shouldn't go to the US to do some car reviews, im just saying why do a whole series over there. Maybe they are running out of places in the UK to film but theres more places in the world than the US. In the new series we all know they have done some filming in Africa for instance. I also agree with top gear girl that Oz would be a brilliant place for a challenge. Why move the whole show to do any of that.

Last edited:
Kiddie pool?

You mean David Bowie, Queen, The Rolling Stones, The Beatles, The Who, Pink Floyd, Elton John, George Michael, The Kinks, The Sex Pistols, The Clash, Black Sabbath, Radiohead, Coldplay etc etc etc and the current best selling artist in the world who received the biggest record deal EVER Robbie Williams.

Yes, kiddie pool. Let me guess, you will quote me and give 2 lines as to why each artist is either A) A ripoff of an American artist B) Overrated/boring or C) Ok i guess.

:rolleyes:

Movie wise we have many talented actors. And if you want to talk about Hollywood big budget blockbuster movies take 'Batman Begins'

Batman = British = Christian Bale. The rest of the cast is mainly British too. Gary Oldman, Liam Neeson, Michael Caine, Cillian Murphy. Oh and the Director was British and the movie was filmed in Britain at Pinewood Studios and at the Wayne manor which was an English stately home.

Yep, the whole of the UK is smaller than the state of Oregon and yet they have produced so very much yet somehow they are the 'kiddie pool'...
you've gone and missed the entire point, congratulations.

how many of those successful British bands, actors and actresses stayed in the UK and did not go to the US to make more money, albums, films etc? how many? oh yeah, none.

Im not saying they shouldn't go to the US to do some car reviews, im just saying why do a whole series over there. Maybe they are running out of places in the UK to film but theres more places in the world than the US. In the new series we all know they have done some filming in Africa for instance. I also agree with top gear girl that Oz would be a brilliant place for a challenge. Why move the whole show to do any of that.

I'd be happy if they moved the show to another part of the world, besides Europe or the US. I'm not saying the US is the only place the should consider going, but it is one of the places the BBC has chosen as a possibility.

you've gone and missed the entire point, congratulations.

how many of those successful British bands, actors and actresses stayed in the UK and did not go to the US to make more money, albums, films etc? how many? oh yeah, none.

And...thank God, one more called Clarkson won't be heading that way either!

Yee ha and all that!:rolleyes:

Oh and besides...US car market is incredibly boring with way too few variations in segments. I just don't see TG working here in US long term. Americans don't appreciate harsh humor and most are bound to be offended. Not to mention dealing with the FTC...and those guys are total oafs.

Oh and besides...US car market is incredibly boring with way too few variations in segments. I just don't see TG working here in US long term. Americans don't appreciate harsh humor and most are bound to be offended. Not to mention dealing with the FTC...and those guys are total oafs.
why would Top Gear deal with the Federal Trade Commission? Here's a clue: you're retarded.

Americans don't appreciate "harsh" humor? Have you ever seen some of our comedies? THEY ARE ALL HARSH AND OFFENSIVE!:lol: wow, you're stupid.

Hello, mods?

How did this entire thread become so..........poisonous?

Come ON people. Enough with the lists already. We KNOW that there is great entertainment produced on both sides of the pond that won't work on the other. Who was it that said....that we are two people separated by a common language? ;)

Anyway, kudos to Clarkson for saying no...and this is from someone who is as American as it gets. At this point in his life, there's no reason to pull up stakes and dive into a new universe, taking a LARGE gamble that he will succeed.

Failure would mean returning to the U.K. with his tail between his legs. And if he DID succeed, what then? More time away from the family and the U.K., stuck in the land of "Do you want cheese with that!" Now THAT'S a reward, eh? :rolleyes: For Jezza, traveling to the U.S. to do TG is a lose-lose situation.

Top Gear is like local food....it doesn't travel very well. Try to do the show in the states and it will be subject to all kinds of commercial pressure, and you wind up with something like Fifth Gear. And no offense intended to those folks, it's just something different.

And for those Americans who've spent the last couple of pages bashing old Blighty, let's remember that without the U.K. most of us would now be speaking Spanish or (shudder!) French ;). And I don't want to think where the U.K. would be without the U.S. after the...events...of the early 20th Century.

Pax, OK?

Mike Nassour / Austin Texas

I don't see why everyone is suddenly a pessimist when it comes to the idea of a US TopGear. Do you all really have so little faith in the talent of Jeremy, Richard, and James that you'd assume the show would flop and be a failure? The show doesn't have to change, just because it's in the US. In fact, if they did change anything, they'd be fools who deserve failure, because the UK show is a success for a reason.

Look at The Office (UK) with Ricky Gervais. It was a huge success in the UK and many other parts of the world. I remember watching both seasons (series') and the Christmas special on DVD before they made the US version. Ricky Gervais brought the show to the USA and is one of the main writers and Executive Producer for the show. Everyone made a big deal when The Office (UK) won a GoldenGlobe, back in 2004, and nominated for 2 Emmys back in 2005. Since producing the US Version of The Office, Ricky Gervais won another GoldenGlobe, as well as, an Emmy in 2006.

We have a lot of car shows in the US. We like cars. We buy more Italian Exotica then most of the world and regularly trade in cars every couple years. A show like TopGear could be a big hit in the US, if it's done right. If they stick to the series 1-7 formula, it could become a very big show. But it wouldn't automatically be one of the highest rated shows on TV, like it is in the UK, they would actually have to earn it. I mean, UK TopGear has already won an Emmy award for their work, so they're not going unnoticed here in the US.

I don't see why everyone is suddenly a pessimist when it comes to the idea of a US TopGear. Do you all really have so little faith in the talent of Jeremy, Richard, and James that you'd assume the show would flop and be a failure?

The bottom line, as I said above, is relatively simple. There's really no great incentive for them to spend so much time on this side of the pond. It's not a matter of "failure", though I'm one of those who doesn't think the show in its present form would survive the move for, once again, reasons stated above. The main hangup (and rightfully so) is the presenters. There would be too many shows to do and not enough of the boys.

They. Simply. Don't. Want. To. Do. It.

....and that's good enough for me, as much as I'd like to see motoring television of the quality of TG here in the U.S.