Jeremy's Mercedes fanboi-ism

Also, he has been raging for years on lacking Mercedes build quality and dealership issues. Honestly I think he likes them because of the engine sound, I really think it's that simple.
He is right there - build quality is still not up to where it once was and the Ukanian Merc dealers are way too expensive and are not really up to the job IMHO. I thought he was actually a Ferrari 'fan boy' myself. ...

To my knowledge he owns (has owned):
a Volvo XC90, not a Land/Range Rover.

He owns a Range Rover Vogue. Remember the meter of bird feces?

He would never buy quite a few cars that are quintessentially British - like the Radical or the Caterham 7.

Francie's owned a Caterham. That was referenced by James and Richard in 12x06.

And in the "owning a classic luxury car"-bit vs James ... what did he turn up in? :D

Which was stated in the episode to be a gift from Francie.

Also, he has been raging for years on lacking Mercedes build quality and dealership issues. Honestly I think he likes them because of the engine sound, I really think it's that simple.

That is not the issue anymore today, though. In current surveys Mercedes dealerships and garages have achieved first place. They improved quality, too, and they are now working on getting back to being the trendsetter for interior trim quality. Of course I can only talk about Germany.

I wonder how long it will take to forget the lousy J?rgen Schrempp years (who definitely was a secret American, btw.)...

And even his constant flag waving and emphasis on how much he admires British engineering has grown less and less frequent (and annoying) over the years (thank God). Plus he doesn't really seem to live up to this "patriotism" when it comes to cars:

To my knowledge he owns (has owned):
a Volvo XC90, not a Land/Range Rover.
Merc CLK Black, not a Jag XF-R
Gallardo Spyder, not a Jag XK-R
He would never buy quite a few cars that are quintessentially British - like the Radical or the Caterham 7. And I'm quite sure he also wouldn't consider owning any Noble.
And in the "owning a classic luxury car"-bit vs James ... what did he turn up in? :D
Plus he pretty much hated Rover with a passion. I only remember one Rover he was halfway kind about (the V8-version).

Well, the problem with British engineering -- as I percieve it -- is, that it can be absolutely brilliant and breathtaking with single projects but completely fails, when it comes to transforming that brilliance to a larger scale and make it mass market compatible.

British engineering basically is still about very talented single men working in their sheds. And only from time to time something is created, that the world will actually notice and connect with "British engineering". All I can think of offhand, is the Dyson vacuum cleaners.

That is also the reason, why many Ukanians are so nostalgic and cling to the past and to the times, when Britain was ruling the world. And it is the reason, why people like Jeremy Clarkson cling to an outdated offroad box like the Range Rover so much, which somehow doesn't belong in our time anymore: It the one of the few things left to be proud of.

About his passion for AMG: Why not? Everyone has preferences. And so far I didn't see Jeremy trying to do any missionary work in the name of AMG.

Last edited:
And it is the reason, why people like Jeremy Clarkson cling to an outdated offroad box like the Range Rover so much, which somehow doesn't belong in our time anymore: It the one of the few things left to be proud of.

The Range Rover is popular (that's is popular now, not 30 years ago) because it is still the ultimate luxury 4x4 with proper off road ability that can be used. Generally these people think we're in the 1890s and feel the need to ride horses around but whatever. Ignore the rappers and footballers, they don't care who makes it so long as it's blingy.

Do you not think that 4x4s have a place any more then, because you'll have trouble finding a convincing argument.

You got me wrong. I didn't doubt the usefulness of the Range Rover and that there are indeed people, who use it properly. I only took it as an example of how people like Jeremy Clarkson cling to achievements of the past in order to be still proud on what British engineering achieved.

You can say many things about the Range Rover but not, that it is a modern car.

That is also the reason, why many Ukanians are so nostalgic and cling to the past and to the times, when Britain was ruling the world. And it is the reason, why people like Jeremy Clarkson cling to an outdated offroad box like the Range Rover so much, which somehow doesn't belong in our time anymore: It the one of the few things left to be proud of.

Gee, thanks, Macguffin...

Actually, most Ukanians don't cling to the past. Remember what they said about that special edition Mini?

I never said "most", I said "many".

And I'm talking as an outsider, who got certain impressions. Everyone in the world seems to think they can bask in German stereotypes, so why can't I do the same in return? :p

And consider that Mini editions a revenge for portraying us as sausage-chewing, loud-mouthed people in Lederhosen all the time :D After all, it's your tabloids, that keep the stereotypes alive ;)

Last edited:
You can say many things about the Range Rover but not, that it is a modern car.

The man chiefly responsible for overseeing RR development over a good part of the last, say, 15-20 years (certainly the years 1994-2002), was a German - Wolfgang Reitzle, first as BMW's product development manager and then as President of Ford's Premier Auto Group when they bought Land Rover. There hasn't been a new generation since then. The technology in the third generation was intended to be primarily of German (BMW) origin, and most recently they have Ford engines, for example, so saying that Range Rovers aren't "modern" is condemning Ford and BMW technology as well. If you want to blame someone for Range Rover not being "modern", blame the Germans, the Americans, and the Indians, since they're the ones who've held the purse strings for the last 20 years.

I never said "most", I said "many".
[...]
And consider that Mini editions a revenge for portraying us as sausage-chewing, loud-mouthed people in Lederhosen all the time :D After all, it's your tabloids, that keep the stereotypes alive ;)

"Many" of you are. I lived in Germany for several years, so I'm not even really speaking as an "outsider" (or maybe I am, considering "many" Germans still refuse to accept people who came from overseas to help keep the German economy rolling).

Last edited:
I won't help derailing this thread any further.

It gets anonnying when it makes no sense. An SLS is one of the greatest cars ever according to Clarkson, but the Viper sucks. Despite the SLS being a rebodied Viper. Wonder what he would say about a Rossion.....

Here we go again...

It gets anonnying when it makes no sense. An SLS is one of the greatest cars ever according to Clarkson, but the Viper sucks. Despite the SLS being a rebodied Viper. Wonder what he would say about a Rossion.....
When did Clarkson ever say the Viper sucks? He loved it when he reviewed it (way back in... Series 5, was it?)

As to your assertion that the SLS is a rebodied Viper....no. Just no.

Nicest review Clarkson gave the Viper was in his "Good the Bad, and the Ugly" DVD which amounted to, its so bad, its good. And yes, the SLS was developed as a joint project with Dodge, as the next Viper, before Merc sold them.

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/06/16/report-dodge-originally-developed-sls-amg-to-be-next-gen-viper/

http://blogs.insideline.com/straigh...d-out-as-the-next-generation-dodge-viper.html

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/...es-benz-sls-amg-was-originally-the-next-viper

But I know, it can't be a Viper, its too good right? I mean the ACR Only holds the lap record around the Nurburgring.....

EDIT: After further investigation, I've found nearly two dozen articles confirming this (those are merely the first three) and only 1 disputing it. That article is highly biased however (reffering to the Viper as a "shed car" and wannabe supercar). Also an additional 5 or 6 articles discussing how the 2013 Viper will be "heavily based" on the SLS. Gee I wonder why?

Last edited:
The Range Rover is old fashioned in the sense that it sticks to its values, isn't fake and doesn't follow trends. Many modern cars are just marketing and PR statements, slightly crappy and soulless without continuity or heritage.

Also realise that people from the US and Europe have (on average) a different understanding of luxury, US tends to focus on size and numbers while Euro folks tend to focus on attention to details and build quality. Because of that difference we essentially speak a different language when comparing and (dis)liking cars ending up in yes/no bar brawls where neither is willing to give up their own views.

The Mercedeses JC seems to like are a decent marriage of attention to detail and quality we Euros like with the size and numbers which make US cars so interesting.

Last edited:
I thought Jeremy liked the Viper? He also liked the CTS-V, minus the constant bong it makes after every little thing you do. He does like Mercedes but, if anyone remembers when he tested the SL 65 AMG Black. He didn't like it, the seat was uncomfortable, ride was too hard, and a horrible turning circle.

He also likes the Vauxhall Monaro VXR 8. That right there is a muscle car.

He really just likes V8's.

The Range Rover is old fashioned in the sense that it sticks to its values, isn't fake and doesn't follow trends.

Yes, I must admit, that you get a lot of value for your money. Considering it weighs almost three tons and all. If you measure value in weight, you surely get the most value for your money, although I think the Cadillac Escalade might want to have a word on that :p

Back to serious, though. I understand the concept of the Range Rover, which is to carry people in luxury to places, where you normally wouldn't be able to get to in other cars. It sounds logical but when you think abot it, the question "Why?" hovers over it like a huge blimp in the sky.

Last edited:
I thought Jeremy liked the Viper? He also liked the CTS-V, minus the constant bong it makes after every little thing you do. He does like Mercedes but, if anyone remembers when he tested the SL 65 AMG Black. He didn't like it, the seat was uncomfortable, ride was too hard, and a horrible turning circle.

He also likes the Vauxhall Monaro VXR 8. That right there is a muscle car.

He really just likes V8's.

He may have, I don'r recall the "writes name in rubber bit" (its been a while) and while he is much kinder to the Viper than other American cars (not saying much), he did what he did to the ZR1. Loved it, than back tracked. That doesn't bother me. He doesn't have to like the Viper. But that he LOVES the SLS which is the same car, only proves his fanboi-ness for Merc.

Yes, I must admit, that you get a lot of value for your money. Considering it weighs almost three tons and all. If you measure value in weight, you surely get the most value for your money, although I think the Cadillac Escalade might want to have a word on that :p
Back to serious, though. I understand the concept of the Range Rover, which is to carry people in luxury to places, where you normally wouldn't be able to get to in other cars. It sounds logical but when you think abot it, the question "Why?" hovers over it like a huge blimp in the sky.

Hummer H1 FTW.

Why? Because people will pay for it. So many people did so that Mercedes-Benz wanted in on the market and entered with its M-class, which apparently was built to similarly low standards of quality but still succeeded.

The 1st generation M-Class was rather lousy but the 2nd and 3rd generation are actually really good.

Anyway, this thread is not about the pros and cons of SUV's in general.

The 1st generation M-Class was rather lousy but the 2nd and 3rd generation are actually really good.

Anyway, this thread is not about the pros and cons of SUV's in general.

Nope, just luxury ones, such as the Range Rover....and the M-Class. Which is a Mercedes. So still on topic.