Jesus Camp.

Blind_Io said:
I certainly never intended to suggest that we attempt to stop parents from teaching religion, that's the kind of shit that happens under fascist regimes. At the same time I don't understand why so many people in this country think Athiests are dangerous and untrustworthy. To descriminate based on someone's religion or spirituality is no less fascist than outlawing it entirely. I certainly don't seek to outlaw religion, but I do want a healthy distance between religion and matters of state. What do you think my chances are of getting elected to public office if I publicly announce that I'm an Athiest? There may be no official requirement, but don't be fooled, to reach any position of power in our government you have to pass the god test.

I agree completely. Looking at the Presidency, there are a lot of other discriminating factors as well...not just religion. It's rather unfortunate.

Firecat said:
The nutjobs are a minority, and their existence shouldn't dictate how the vast majority of people raise their children.

Let's apply your reasoning to other topics as well. Let's ban violent games because some kids play them and shoot up schools. Or let's shut down myspace because some kids meet sexual predators on there. Or let's ban guns because some people use them for murder....

You can't use the fringe as an example to set policy.

And quite frankly, if a parent teaches their kids about Noah's ark, it's none of your business.

I never said ban religion being taught to kids (in the home, religious schooling is a whole other mess), I'm merely offering my opinion about the matter. I think it's sad that it is still the norm. I do think there is hope for the human race, that we move away from superstition and embrace science.

I may come off as a bit extreme, but the problem of religion mixing with state is much, much worse where I'm from than in north america. It's not as simple as telling people religion and state shouldn't be together, because the dominant religion FORCES the state to be religious. To maintain a secular system, many more influential thinkers over there (mid-east) need to take a harder approach towards tackling religious backwardness. That's the approach that I take.

///M said:
I do think there is hope for the human race, that we move away from superstition and embrace science.

For once, i'm speechless.... :lol:

///M said:
I may come off as a bit extreme, but the problem of religion mixing with state is much, much worse where I'm from than in north america. It's not as simple as telling people religion and state shouldn't be together, because the dominant religion FORCES the state to be religious. To maintain a secular system, many more influential thinkers over there (mid-east) need to take a harder approach towards tackling religious backwardness. That's the approach that I take.

I agree that this is problematic, and I think part of the problem is that the so-called "secular leaders" have mostly been corrupt (and in many instances, puppets of the west).

Thats a quite interesting topic and we had a similar problem in Germany in the near past. There was an extreme Christian family which didn't send their kids to school but tought them at home, which is a violation of german law because all kids have to go to school. The family went to court claiming that its the only way to keep the children from negative influences, but lost.
The judges decided that the lack of social contact these children have when they don't go to a school is something so severe that the state can't allow it to happen and has to protect the children. If the parents don't allow them being sent to school they will be brought there by the Govt which is one option or the parents lose the right of custody which would be the last resort.

In my opinion the government of any country should be free of religion, that's what history proved to be the best and most advanced system. That way we ensure that the schools only teach what is the most accepted scientific view on topics. Thats what makes us different from countries like Iran.
It is every parents decision what they teach their kids, as long as it isn't unlawful and ensures a healthy development. That has nothing to do with not believing in God, its just the best way the system works. Everything else is just backwards in my opinion.

Thats a quite interesting topic and we had a similar problem in Germany in the near past. There was an extreme Christian family which didn't send their kids to school but tought them at home, which is a violation of german law because all kids have to go to school.
Home-schooling is illegal in Germany?

The judges decided that the lack of social contact these children have when they don't go to a school is something so severe that the state can't allow it to happen and has to protect the children.
That's just so sick and wrong that a judge should be allowed to decide what happens to someone else's children when it's only in their best intrest to be taught by their parents. If these children were being abused or something, that would be different, but they're simply being taught differently.

They are completely isolated at home, having contact to no other people than their parents. That's unhealthy and definitely not "in their best interest". Ever kid has the right to get a normal development without becoming a nutter afterwards.

That actually makes sense.

Although a lot of families here in the US homeschool their kids legally, it can definitely result in children being "raised in a vacuum". It would be a great concept if the families that choose to homeshool their children are able to allow a decent amount of social interaction between their children and others. Unfortunately, many of the people who homeschool their kids have different motives for doing so. I can see how religious "sheltering" could cause one to keep their child "out of evil's way", but that's what causes them to develop into sociopaths...

That makes no sense. Homeschooling doesn't make you nuts. I was homeschooled for a year and I had more social integration and learned more in that last year of jr. high than I did any other year. That theory is total bullshit.

homeschool does not mean your kids are locked up at home with no interaction, it just means they don't go to school in the same building as you. The idea that homeschooled kids are isolated hermits is so ignorant and retarded it's not even funny.

zenkidori said:
That makes no sense. Homeschooling doesn't make you nuts. I was homeschooled for a year and I had more social integration and learned more in that last year of jr. high than I did any other year. That theory is total bullshit.

homeschool does not mean your kids are locked up at home with no interaction, it just means they don't go to school in the same building as you. The idea that homeschooled kids are isolated hermits is so ignorant and retarded it's not even funny.

That's just one year. There are parents who keep their child isolated from other children and use Homeschooling to do it. This can go on for years and it very unhealthy. Children don't learn how to interact with other kids and never develop the basic social skills that we all do in our early formative years. If parents home-school but also encourage their child to play with other kids in the afternoons and on weekends I'm perfects fine with homeschooling. Homeschooling isn't the problem, isolations is.

zenkidori said:

Good points. And I've heard that the homeschooling program in my area has designated times like once a week where all the kids get together to work on projects, play, etc. so I think that's a good idea.

I have a couple friends who were homeschooled, and there aren't anymore nutty than anyone else.

I suppose that if you're some hermit family living deep in the mountains and there are no other kids around that could be a problem, but if your kid is that susceptible to that kind of influence it's going to be a problem anyway, even if you go to public or private school.

IMHO school should NOT be the primary place for kids to interact. There is too much clique bullshit, bullying, exclusion, infighting, etc. This is a pretty unpopular idea, but I think that sports should be banned from schools below the college level as well. There should be activities outside of school that provide a way for kids to interact. Community sports and shit like that.

zenkidori said:
I suppose that if you're some hermit family living deep in the mountains and there are no other kids around that could be a problem, but if your kid is that susceptible to that kind of influence it's going to be a problem anyway, even if you go to public or private school.

IMHO school should NOT be the primary place for kids to interact. There is too much clique bullshit, bullying, exclusion, infighting, etc. This is a pretty unpopular idea, but I think that sports should be banned from schools below the college level as well. There should be activities outside of school that provide a way for kids to interact. Community sports and shit like that.

I'm guessing you never played sports in highschool and were one of those that were "excluded"? :lol: I was. But I was a speech and debte kid and a big extrovert so I had no problem making friends.

I dunno if I agree with your "no sports below college". I mean I see you point clear as day, but I just don't think it would work in communities that don't have the public facilities to hold all the kids.

But it certainly is an interesting idea.

IMHO school should NOT be the primary place for kids to interact. There is too much clique bull****, bullying, exclusion, infighting, etc. This is a pretty unpopular idea, but I think that sports should be banned from schools below the college level as well. There should be activities outside of school that provide a way for kids to interact. Community sports and **** like that.
He's a got a good point there. IIRC, I learned (ironically, in school), that school was invented as a control and conformity mechanism for children. Seems like it was pretty successful.

No Boss said:
I'm guessing you never played sports in highschool and were one of those that were "excluded"?
Actually I've played every sport except basketball. I just don't think that learning and sports should mix. I've seen too many kids slip by on thier sports ability just to get smacked in the face by the real world when they don't get that scholarship or drafted into professional sports and they don't have the skills to cope with business.

The same funding should go into community sports, it would be almost the exact same thing, except it's separated from the school. Any community big enough to have a school sports team would be big enough for community sports. This would help stop fund abuse by schools and also make sure kids get a real education and aren't passed just because they can catch well.

Again, let's not base things on the fringe. Sure, there are crazy people out there that may teach their kids up is down and left is right. But I also think it's unfair to force parents to send their kids to schools that in many cases aren't providing a quality education.

Maybe this will help alleviate some concerns regarding home schooling:-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homeschool#Research_results

Actually I've played every sport except basketball. I just don't think that learning and sports should mix. I've seen too many kids slip by on thier sports ability just to get smacked in the face by the real world when they don't get that scholarship or drafted into professional sports and they don't have the skills to cope with business.
On the other side of the coin, a former classmate of mine is receiving huge scolarships and opportunities because he's a talented (albeit, arrogant) baseball player, but he's an absolute clod in the classroom. But, it probably doesn't matter, because the world worships it's sports "heros" anyway.

The same funding should go into community sports, it would be almost the exact same thing, except it's separated from the school. Any community big enough to have a school sports team would be big enough for community sports. This would help stop fund abuse by schools and also make sure kids get a real education and aren't passed just because they can catch well.
I've nothing to say but "++"!

epp_b said:
On the other side of the coin, a former classmate of mine is receiving huge scolarships and opportunities because he's a talented (albeit, arrogant) baseball player, but he's an absolute clod in the classroom. But, it probably doesn't matter, because the world worships it's sports "heros" anyway.
that's kind of the point, to stop bullshit like that.