Jezza made ?850,000 on top of his BBC salary

Aston Martin

Proudly supports terrible french cars
Car(s)
Cactus and Panda Classic
Love the Daily Mail... :lol:

Jeremy Clarkson made more than ?850,000 from Top Gear last year on top of his lucrative BBC salary thanks to an unusual deal with the broadcaster?s commercial arm.
His position as one of the top earners on television is boosted by a cut of the money made on the sales of magazines, DVDs, books, toy cars and other merchandise associated with the show.
It is controversial as many believe it inappropriate for Clarkson to cash in on a programme which was created for the BBC.

Others think the deal makes it look as though he is getting special treatment.
Figures posted at Companies House, the official register of UK firms, show he made ?854,000 from a business called Bedder 6 ? owned by Clarkson, Top Gear executive producer Andy Wilman and BBC Worldwide ? on top of an estimated ?1million salary from the BBC.
Clarkson received ?504,000 from the dividend paid to shareholders in the year to March 2010 and a ?350,000 ?payment for services?. Mr Wilman also gets a cut.
The deal is said to have been designed to make it more attractive for Clarkson to stay at the BBC.
A BBC Worldwide spokesman said the deal recognises Clarkson?s role in turning the show into a global phenomenon, adding: ?This joint venture ensures we can drive more money back into BBC programming, ultimately benefiting the licence fee payer.?

They never mention the fact that he saved TG and if i'm not mistaken owns rights to the new format?

Linky

so what? i totally understand his behaviour, he knows that he is very important for the BBC and is just thinking economically. I do now know if he has any rights on Top Gear or even owns the format but i hope that everyone would agree that without him TopGear would not work the way it does. It is hard to say but i think the money he earns is just fair for what he does.
I would act the same way...

Surprisingly this is actually fine, and even though he is working for the BBC he technically isnt taking tax payers money, unlike other BBC shows, Top gear pulls a Profit, due to the merchandising and foreign rights, and pays for other shows. Technically if they just kept every cent (pence?) to themselves it would be fine because they would more than break even on the investment the public licence fee payers made anyways. He deserves it too, and lets be honest, he brought back TopGear, and without him, the show would be nothing.

I didnt know him and Wilman were running a joint venture with the BBC, thats a pretty interesting piece of business.

The world is filled with people making obscene amounts of money for doing very little (or nothing at all).
Jeremy actualy works hard (if powersliding a supercar can be considered 'work' :p) , and makes the lives of millions of people just a little bit better with TopGear......Fuck the daily fail for trying to start up controversy about a non issue.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. We need to get rid of freedom of the press. :p

Last edited:
Daily Fail.. the exemplar of unbiased reporting :D ... it is safe to say that Daily Mail is singularly carrying out its duty of keeping us misinformed and dumbed down :thumbsup:

Last edited:
As far as i understand it, the Clarkson/Wilman/BBC joint-venture is the production company that actually makes Top Gear as a contractor to BBC Two (i guess it's the same company/a division of it that produces the yearly Clarkson DVDs). That's no different than "Life On Mars" being produced by Kudos Film and not directly by the BBC's drama division like Doctor Who.

So the extra money Jezza makes is not his salary as a presenter, but simply his share in the profits and income as an executive of a business he co-owns.

Last edited:
Last edited:
not_a_signle_fuck.png

I don't see nothing wrong with those numbers when you think how popular Top Gear is and compare Clarkson's earning to something like Jay Leno, Conan or not to even talk about Oprah that all earn in tens of millions and in Opra's case, +300 million.

Though i do understand if some people got problem with it as it's BBC like i'm sure people would have problem with it if somebody from our BBC, YLE was getting cash like that, but like said he gets much of the cash from selling the rights of Top Gear and merchandise for sure.

Last edited:
The debate about top earning presenter's salaries automatically follows from the existence of public broadcasters.

The German "Jezza debate" circled around the salary of Johannes B. Kerner, who allegedly made 15000 Euros per (weekly) show, roughly the same as Jezza, until he moved on to commercial TV. Titanic Magazine, Germany's aequivalent to The Onion, handed out free subscriptions of their print mag to anyone providing proof that he cancelled his public TV subscription (which roughly equals declaring under oath to not own a TV set) with the explicit reason "Johannes B. Kerner is overpaid as a presenter" given.

Based on the last 2 shows, he should get extra money for that baby he's carrying to term. :)

I think we now know who was the surrogate for Messrs John & Furnish. :blink:

Back on Topic.
As I understand it - the Wilman & Clarkson company Bedder6 is a profit sharing vehicle for TG's profits from BBC Worldwide with I believe BBCW owning 51% and Bedder6 owning 49%. It is not a production company as such - otherwise it would get credit at the end of an episode/DVD. The profit they share is from overseas sales of TG, and DVDs, merchandise etc. The BBCW portion gets reinvested in programme making. TG definitely produces a cash surplus for the BBC.

Just out of interest - is TG Apocalypse (I haven't seen a copy) made in conjunction with 'Hamster's Wheel' and 'Plum Productions' - Hammond & May's way of getting more buck for their graft?

Last edited:
Exactly, I'd rather he who entertains, works hard at, and is involved with presenting, writing and selling one of the best TV shows plus his work writing books and all the other things he does gets the money rather than some cheating Banker.

Q. Why does he get all the approbation?
A. The soft left are gunning for him and the boys.

Q. Why the daily fail hates him a right wing paper
A. He writes for the Murdoch organisation.

(JC Haters are B'stards. [ed])

Last edited: