• The development of any software program, including, but not limited to, training a machine learning or artificial intelligence (AI) system, is prohibited using the contents and materials on this website.

Job interview tomorrow -- Suggestions?

Viggen

Car(s)
12 VW Golf GTI
Today I got a call from a company whom I applied for a week earlier, and they want me to come in for an interview tomorrow morning (08/12) for a part-time position as an assistant to the head chef at a local senior assisted living facility. As excited as I am, I'm also very nervous and have every right to be because I never had a paying job before, let alone a job interview. I must look my very best to persuade them that I am very capable and responsible for this position.

I know some pointers in an interview such as:

• Questions suchs as why I am interested for this position, personal strengths, weakness, goals and seeing myself in five-years.
  • Answering the question first hand, then giving a brief yet detailed summary. Not telling a story to answer the question.
  • Never ask about positions, salary wages, vacations, etc. upfront.
  • Avoid "umming" and "erring", but that is hard not to.

Is any more there I need to know?

Thanks everyone.

You summed up the basic things, try not to drink too much coffee or any other stuff to stay focussed. Makes you nervous anyway, nervous is good, it keeps you sharp.

Wake up early, and eat, because when you're gonna have dinner right before the interview you'll notice you can't, nerves. Do something before the interview, don't wait for 4 hours when you wake up, go meet someone to play snooker of whatever, something relaxing, time flies and head to the interview early.

Make sure you arrive at least 30mins early. People hate it when you come late or arrive at the moment. When something happens they know you will be late next time, and they won't say it to you, so make sure you do it out of yourself.

Dress nice, but not overdone, if it's not a 'high-ranked job' don't act like you're a lawyer of someone really important.

Don't smoke, and definetly not in the break (if you have it between the interview) You'll smell like smoke, not very nice.

Be honoust about the questions about your past, when you try to make things more beautiful they'll notice and that wouldn't look too good. Be proud of what you have accomplished.

That's some things from the top of my head, just use common sense and don't let the nerves make you nervous (;))

Regardless of if you have already given them a resume/CV, take another copy with you.

Dress fairly formal.

Be clean shaven.

I knew I should have typed-up a resume, although the office coordinator told me it is not necessary. But I'm still going to bring one just in case. Yet I don't really have much to write about on my resume (no previous experience, still in college). I don't have many references either, though I may have to use my former high school teachers and a neighbor.

Dressing-up. I don't have a suit or at least own a pair of khaki pants, but then this is a part-time job in the kitchen, not in the corporate office. Perhaps my basic black collared dress shirt (Ben Sherman, with the little Union Jack snap buttons) and very dark blue jeans are about as close to looking casual but not sloppy.

All great points, especially in getting relaxed and calm before the interview. I like that.

here are the word I would suggest

Be Calm, confident, don't panic......and think " I don't care if I don't get the job. " You won't be scared if u keep that in mind. And dress nicely...

Finally......wish you the best of luck! :thumbsup:

raheel_qamar said:
here are the word I would suggest

Be Calm, confident, don't panic......and think " I don't care if I don't get the job. " You won't be scared if u keep that in mind. And dress nicely...

Finally......wish you the best of luck! :thumbsup:

I think that is poor advice.

If you think that, you may become too casual with everything. Its better to show that you are enthusiastic about the job with a bit of nervousness than it is to defeat yourself before the interview has begun.

I got the resume part down and I know I have to do a cover letter, but is a cover letter really necessary?

Don't know what you mean with coverletter, but my resume looks like 2 pages:
1st page: all your experience, education, summerjobs and the references
2nd page, your details, copy of you picture.

And sorry Raheel, I don't think he should go like "I don't care".
If you don't care about the quality in your work, you'll be fired, if you don't even bother about the job at the interview you won't even get hired.

Just make sure you're nervous, I mostly am, but not so much anymore when I was younger, but I get nervous if I'm not nervous at all, then there must be something wrong.

I think the most important part is: Get there in time.

bullshit like your life is on it.
I had an interview not too long ago.. and i never got a phone call so am not in a position to give advice.. but they did ask me for a 2nd interview.. i think i blew it off when i went the 2nd time in my slippers with an unbottoned shirt.. well actually the 3 down were buttoned.. :p I think the most important thing is to be very friendly with whoever is interviewing you.. cause i think the dude who got the job had no experience, and I did but he probably laughed more than i did to his lame jokes.

Be yourself....

Mischief007 said:
Be yourself....

True, but if you walk into some office you don't see people hanging in their chairs with Hawaishirts and burritos on their desks, adapt to the situation there..depends on the job though.

oh dunt forget....eye contact...not too much not too little...look at his lips nose nd eys.... if u dunt look at him at all...you will come off as being dodgy!!! oh nd dunt fiddle around tooo much

If it's some McDonald's type job, I wouldn't worry too much. The fact that they called you for an interview means you're 90% hired.

If it's something much bigger, then I suggest alot of ass kissing. Compliment the person who is interviewing you on the fine establishement they work in. If it's a franchise, say this one is much better (find something about it that is better) than others you have been to. Laugh, no matter how lame the joke is, laugh. Act like you really love this job and act like you want it. There's going to be a part were the interviewer asks you if you have any questions, use it. That part shows that you're interested in the job. If you have any doubts about what the position you're applying for entails, ask. Just ask a couple of questions, it'll make you seem that much more interested.

Calm Down.

Best tip ever. I mean you're a smart, man you did your research, you know yourself, the company, so just don't stress out and it'll be alright.

Personnally, what you've described:

personal strengths, weakness, goals

was what I was expecting but I barely got any questions on that in the interviews I've done, it was a lot more about situations that might happen in your job, what would you do, how would you react?

Jostyrostelli said:

What the hell? you never EVER give a picture in your resume.

And it can be longer than 2 pages, but usually 2-3 pages is best.

Although for some positions like consultants like my father, 200+ pages resume are the way to go. :?

Renesis said:
Jostyrostelli said:

What the hell? you never EVER give a picture in your resume.

And it can be longer than 2 pages, but usually 2-3 pages is best.

Although for some positions like consultants like my father, 200+ pages resume are the way to go. :?

Actually I know alot of supervisors that really like it when people put a little passport size picture of themselves with their resumes. It helps them put a face to all the information.

Discriminatory, we have laws so they can't ask for pictures, don't wonder why!

plus, he's got an interview already so his resume was alright.

Thanks to everyone here,

I got hired right on the spot!

The interview was pretty much painless. The facility director gave a set of simple questions such as days I can work for (weekends), if I can fill-in for someone absent (sure thing), and starting salary (don't matter where I start, as long as I get the job and gain working experience). She told me a resume isn't necessary as I gave one to her, but she liked what she read. I still have to complete the lengthy paperwork in front of me and turn it in later today.

I'm going on training all day tomorrow (which I'll get paid for already), and I'll start next Friday before lunch hour.

Congrats :thumbsup: