Jpn 280hp limit abandoned

Status
Not open for further replies.
Uh.. they don't respect it since a few years anyway so don't know what it'll change..

They don't respect it??
Take the EVO, the Skyline, etc. they all had 280 hp - at least officially. :wink:

cya
Oli

I bet the Japanese are happy...

But anyway, makes me happy to live in a true democracy. :)

I live in a true democracy I think and we have a 250 km/h (155 miles/h) limit for cars. :wink:
This is of course not because of the government, years ago the manufacturers voluntarily chose it.
But not all manufacturers (e.g. Porsche) respect it and todaymore and more cars can be ordered without a limiter. (e.g. AMGs, BMW-Ms, etc.)

cya
Oli

PS: Oh, I forgot, most of you will never get to drive that fast (at least on the road) so for you it doesn't matter. :mrgreen:

Our roads are in a shitty condition but some crazy fucks still drive fast i.e. my uncle.

Don't know if he topped his 9-3 yet.. apparently it has no limiter.

The 300ZX was 300hp, Supra and 3000GT VR4 were 320hp but current US Evo is 271hp... '05 model will be 276hp so I think its just a "when they feel like it" thing more then an actual limit :lol:

yeah the commemerative wrx for petter is 315 i think.
forgot the name, its in CAR this month

Renesis said:
Uh.. they don't respect it since a few years anyway so don't know what it'll change..

They haven't followed the 280hp limit very carefully, but even with cars such as the Supra, 3000GT, 300ZX etc. the cars weren't much over 280hp. It would be very easy for them to design the car, do a couple extremely crappy dyno runs to churn out a 280hp reading for paperwork purposes and release the car. If the car was in the 350+hp range, they wouldn't be able to get away with it.

Now with the limit completely removed, they will no longer have to barely sneak past 280hp. I wouldn't doubt it if Nissan, Honda or Mazda start to churn out 350+hp models (Toyota should be in that list too, but until they smarten up and release another Supra it won't happen).

I think it was more a gentleman's rule than an actual law. There were many cars that skirted this limit.

But if you're right and they have really "lifted" this ban, then we're bound to some some very cool cars. Japan doesn't have ANY supercars, I'm talking Lamborghini, Zonda, Ferrari, McLaren. We'll finally see 400hp, 500 hp cars.

yeah, they did that a while ago. thank god. if Japan can compete with cars like a WRX, skyline and evo, and those sorts of limits. Imagine what they can do without these stupid limits. (Look at the 400hp Evo for example. It kept up with a Murcielago on Top Gear).

btw, tom_kauf, have you posted pics of your Golf before... I haven't seen that sig before... R32 Golf :thumbsup:

Viper007Bond said:
I bet the Japanese are happy...

But anyway, makes me happy to live in a true democracy. :)

it's because of your government that japan has a limit
(after WWII, they were no longer alowed to make engines which might have enough power to propell a plane)

just saying that japan neither wanted the limit

and IIRC, you also have a limit for your emission
same thing if you ask me

i think all the japanese cars that had over 280 hp (supra, 3000gt, 300zx...) all had special engines for japan. im pretty sure the supra got bigger turbos and a new cam to bring up the power for everyone else.

Renesis said:
*cough* Subaru WRX STi *cough*

the japanese sti still has the 2L and makes below 280 hp. i think north america is the only place that has the 2.5L.

The 300ZX, Supra, etc in japan made around 280, but when then came to the US, ity has 300HP 320 to the respective car.

I'm interested in seeing what comes from them now that the gloves are off. the GTR expected to have atleast 350hp should be interesting, and Turbo RX8 is suppost to be in the works.

Its the begining of a beautiful era.

tom_kauf said:
yeah, they did that a while ago. thank god. if Japan can compete with cars like a WRX, skyline and evo, and those sorts of limits. Imagine what they can do without these stupid limits. (Look at the 400hp Evo for example. It kept up with a Murcielago on Top Gear).
And why did we bump a 10 month old topic just to say that?

Status
Not open for further replies.