Jurassic World

And remember, If something chases you..

ad-saygoodbye.gif

I was so hoping to see a hint of a "Kitty" moment in the trailer, the second I heard her voice.

I'll go see it. It's probably too much to hope that they take it easy on the CGI and build some real sets, so it actually looks real and not like a cartoon. Still, besides Star-Lord and his little leather vest thing, it looks like it could be okay. I spotted a G wagon, so maybe we'll get some cool chase scenes, which were always iconic of the first film.

I also wonder if someone will shoot one of the dinosaurs finally, with something stronger than a tranquilizer dart. The books had quite a few dinos get blasted to bits or poisoned, but the filmmakers always acted like they'd get lynched by PETA if they did anything of the sort.

I was informed by my nephews (10&13)that I was taking them to see this, and I informed them that they were paying. :D

It is my fault for introducing them to the original.

The JP franchise is one of those guilty pleasures for me, but I'm still not sold on Star Lord Raptor Tamer.

:confused: :roflmao:

I'm worried that it will be just as "awesome" as that poster.

I just got back from seeing it, watched it with my mom and sister (we and my dad saw the original back in the day), and it wasn't bad. It's without a doubt better and more enjoyable than 2 or 3 were. There are plot holes and some sillyness like running through the jungle in high heels, but nothing that made me groan outloud. My biggest gripe is that it looked like there were ZERO practical effects used on screen, it was all CGI. When two dinos are thrashing around, there no sense of weight to their movements and it doesn't look or feel "real" like they did in the first movie.

I think it's worth a watch on the big screen, but keep your expectations low and you'll be pleased. However, if you saw Jurassic Park as a child like I did, then don't expect to feel the same sense of wonder and amazement, the only time you'll get a nostalgic tingle is when John Williams score comes up.

Just came from watching it. Opted for IMAX 3D (although I generally avoid 3D movies?.would have been great if just IMAX without any 3D)

Anyways?I thought the movie was solid. I'm glad I was part of the experience. It lacked the magic that the first had. But in my opinion, most movies nowadays will pale in comparison to that old school filmmaking that gave us the original (or back to the future, indiana jones etc). The movie did make me feel nostalgic and it was mostly satisfying?.there are some areas that I thought could have been better

I didn't like that bit where the I-Rex is about to kill the T-Rex and then the Raptor squawks and runs in to attack and whatever else followed.
In general, I thought the I-Rex could have been bigger and badder

OK I will be that guy.

I seriously hated the movie.

Vomit-inducing family story (parents going through divorce, permanently crying kid, crying mum, etc etc), annoying little kid that I wanted to die the whole movie, incredibly bad acting (Pratt being the best), about 20 minutes of CGI dinosaurs, and...

PRODUCT PLACEMENT.

Holy shit, every 2 Minutes you get hit in the face by a Mercedes logo, or they go into the "SAMSUNG DNA EXPERIENCE", drink a coke or have Beats on....I mean, in the first movies they at least painted the cars in a cool colour, now it's shiny silver cars with tiny Jurassic Park logos.

Oh and don't get me started on the story line.

How the fuck is having a T-Rex (the killer from movie one) running around 20.000 people the solution???

This movie was an utter disappointment and probably the worst movie I have seen in a year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Let me be that guy...

PRODUCT PLACEMENT.

Holy shit, every 2 Minutes you get hit in the face by a Mercedes logo, or they go into the "SAMSUNG DNA EXPERIENCE", drink a coke or have Beats on....I mean, in the first movies they at least painted the cars in a cool colour, now it's shiny silver cars with tiny Jurassic Park logos.

How's this different from our actual world? Everything that could be branded is and all naming rights are sold off. Even in amusement parks. Disney EPCOT's Test Track is presented by GM, some lab in EPCOT is also branded by I think Samsung, pro sports teams play in arenas named after sponsors, etc etc etc.

Oh and don't get me started on the story line.

How the fuck is having a T-Rex (the killer from movie one) running around 20.000 people the solution???

This movie was an utter disappointment and probably the worst movie I have seen in a year.

The park was abandoned by then, so the only people in danger of Rexy's bite were Pratt & Co.

Well I'll be damned, there was a very small handful of practical effects created for the movie... too bad it seems most of them (like the raptor heads) were just there for lighting references so the CGI team had something to work with.

[video=youtube;jfcqQf61S-k]https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=34&v=jfcqQf61S-k[/video]

And for those who may not know, Legacy Effects is what Stan Winston's company became after he died, so anything they do is always going to be top quality.

I was supposed to be going to see it last week but it didn't happen and based on what I'm reading I'm rather glad I didn't.

I saw it. It wasn't bad at all. Someone somewhere talked about fan service and they were dead on, there were tons of references to the original film. In a good way too, like the part where they stumbled across the original visitor center from the first film and some of the original Jurassic Park Jeep Wranglers, which I thought was a nice touch. I also liked the fact that they actually used real guns on the dinosaurs for once. In both books they used weapons to kill dinos, but it was almost like the film makers were too PETA friendly to show that in the previous films.

There were definitely some silly moments though.

The Apatosaur death scene went on way too long and felt a bit cheesy to me.

Some of the deaths seemed a bit harsh, like the fat security guard in the beginning and the British assistant girl. And the owner of the park who bravely piloted the helicopter almost immediately into the ground. Seems like they could have done something more substantial with that storyline.

And then the final epic dinosaur battle royal.

But even so, the film felt like a quality product. The extensive use of CGI didn't bother me much, especially after watching that latest Transformers movie with Mark Wahlberg the other night. (on Netflix, I'm not spending money on that) Now THAT film should be shown to film students on how NOT to do product placement. I didn't even notice the product placement in Jurassic World, by comparison.

On the whole, I would rate this film second best in the franchise. It's still a few rungs down the latter from the first film, but for a summer blockbuster, you could do much worse than Jurassic World.

Oh, and did anyone catch the part where the scientist Henry Wu complained about how the gene splicing made the dinosaurs look different? I'm guessing that line was added to explain away the lack of feathers.

Saw it a while back when it first came out and after watching it I thought it was ok. Upon second thought though and time passing by i've come to the conclusion that D-Fence is indeed correct in his view of the film. There are plot holes galore in the film and in some cases, the story isn't sure what kind of story it's trying to tell.
for example the big brother who starts the film missing his girlfriend and then promptly starts flirting with every single girl he sees in the film, the little brother who starts crying for no reason other than suspecting that the parents are divorcing, a plot thread that comes out of nowhere and isn't even referenced for the rest of the film
The CGI is shockingly bad and it doesn't come anywhere close to the feel of the first Jurassic Park film. It's worth watching but don't go in thinking you're about to see the film of the year.