Jurassic World

Why weren't regular dinosaurs good enough? Why does it need to be genetically-modified "super" dinosaurs?

Why weren't regular dinosaurs good enough? Why does it need to be genetically-modified "super" dinosaurs?

Because that would just be rehashing what has been done... Seemed to work for every horror movie franchise ever.

I dunno, I love the franchise, but this trailer didn't leave me very eager or pumped.

I agree, I will wait for DVD TV etc..

Sums up my feelings: <Blayde> What is this, jurassic pacific rim?

They're all genetically-modified "super" dinosaurs.
1380697092809.jpg

Apparently in the movie universe, the setup is that the park has already been operational for years and is losing attendance, so something new was needed to drum up visitor numbers.

Does it make a lot of sense? Given what is rumored, no. Zoos worldwide attract millions of people somewhat consistently, and none of their animals were extinct. Is it the worst that has happened to the JP franchise? Far from it, given the gymnastic raptor defenestration in Lost World and the entirety of JP3.

Does it make a lot of sense? Given what is rumored, no. Zoos worldwide attract millions of people somewhat consistently, and none of their animals were extinct.

Zoos are also usually located in or near major urban centres, not on remote tropical islands. Zoos get repeat attendance due to accessibility and new animals, Jurassic World would be incredibly expensive to travel to so new attractions would be a major driver for repeat business.

The tag line for the park should be

Jurassic Park: We spit in God's eye and see if he blinks!

Jurassic Park: FU Darwin!

Jurassic Park: More money and than sense they said. So we feed them to a T-Rex while they were shitting!

Jurassic Park: We could have cured cancer but hey NEW PETS.

How do they manage to make an effect-heavy film in 2014 that looks more plastic and fake than the original did in 1993?
Even the shark they dangle over the pool looks awfully awkwardly fake. Why do you need CGI for a shark!? This is like the bloody CGI gopher thing in the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.
JP still looks fantastic today, 21 years on. This won't even look fantastic on release. How sad.

The original was a defining movie of the industry, not just the genre. This looks generic as hell.

How do they manage to make an effect-heavy film in 2014 that looks more plastic and fake than the original did in 1993?
Even the shark they dangle over the pool looks awfully awkwardly fake. Why do you need CGI for a shark!? This is like the bloody CGI gopher thing in the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.

Because trailer CGI is almost never finished. The movie won't be complete for another 7 months or so, which means the CG effects are still in their early stages. You can see this progression in between many trailers and finished films - for example, the CG in the early Guardians of the Galaxy trailers was pretty heavily reworked for the final film.

^Sure, I remember dodgy CGI in the Godzilla trailer that wasn't bad in the final film, so you're right.
But using CGI for common objects you could just use for less money than the animators' salaries shows a worrying "fuck it, we'll do it In-The-Box" approach. The Lucas Philosophy, dare I say.
Isn't the main reason JP dates so well that they used practicals for as much as they could and only CGI'd what they couldn't?

If a recent post elsewhere was telling the truth, it was originally going to be a human/ dinosaur hybrid...so at least it's not that.

I also don't remember a film where Bryce Dallas Howard would've been especially good.

JP still looks fantastic today, 21 years on. This won't even look fantastic on release. How sad.

The original was a defining movie of the industry, not just the genre. This looks generic as hell.

Keep in mind that despite the hype over its CGI when it was released, the bulk of the first film was puppets and guys in suits. That's why it still looks so good today.
I think the main reason that they seem to be cool with releasing such early footage is that the bulk of the trailer views will be on small screens like phones and tablets.
Having said that, I could be completely wrong and the film turns out to look like arse.

The trailer itself didn't do it for me, but theme coming through at the end really did it for me.

Yeah, I'll probably go see it, unless the reviews are dreadfull by then. It's dinosaurs, can't be that bad :)

Also, the first one was made by Spielberg, and the man loves his visuals. I wonder if he was directing if he'd use the same amount of CGI.
Let's pretend the last Indiana Jones didn't happen...

Last edited: