Ownership Verified: Just got my eGolf :)

haz

I AM OT!
Car(s)
Tesla Model S 75D BMW E39 Wagon
Hi guys - first post from me in a while..

Most likely signing a deal on an eGolf (last model of the 300 km range) this week as I now have a long daily commute.

And since EV cars are allowed to travel in the bus lane in Norway: I will shave off approx 45 minutes each direction, plus it?s actually going to save me around $100-$150 a month in total expenses going from my BMW 325i to this eGolf.

It?s a nice deal too since the new eGolf with 25% longer range is right around the corner the official dealers need to rid their stock of this generation eGolf.

This eGolf is a "Black edition" with: winter tires, keyless access, light package, heat pump, tinted side windows, rear and front parking sensors, leather and sport seats + 3 year / 45000 km free service.

It?s going to run me around $31.700 / ?29.540 / ?25.680 which with this deal will save me around $10.000 on the original price.

Any eGolf owners here?

Would love to hear from you guys, what are your experiences with it this far? Pros / cons etc. :cool:

Last edited:
Didn't realise they were that cheap. It's not going to be nearly as fun as the 325i but in Norway it looks to make perfect sense- Exempt from the crazy regisration taxes, access to bus lanes, cheap electricity (and preferential parking in the city?)

Reactions: haz
The deal is a $10.000 deal to clear the stock as the new eGolf is just around the corner.

And also EVs ares exempt from taxes, free parking, free charging stations all over, free toll plaza in / out of any city + many other advantages. The yearly road tax is $40 only.

Not as fun as the 325i for sure, but my last cars have been fun cars, I'm 37 and more sensible now :p (I had a Boxster before the 325..)

I think in inner city driving this should be plenty of fun because of the instant torque and everything :) Also I didn't quite realize the Norwegian charging was free - that explains why nobody from Norway wants to connect to our European roaming platform, they simply don't have to, if they don't take any money for charging :(

Oh, also, another eGolf: someone from San Francisco drives one, I think. NecroJoe?

Reactions: haz
That's true, I did drive it when it came in 2014 as I helped out my brother in law getting his eGolf and I remember being impresed by that instant torque that was available there. Driving my brothers TMS I thought Tesla was the only EV producer with that..

Signing contract today, getting it next thursday, black exterior and black leather :D

I dunno if people still provide picture proof but here it is.. went for a quick wash also. First impression is good!

Last edited:
Reactions: lip
Neat car. Now this is the kind of electric car I like seeing...you know...something that looks and acts like a car and isn't named Tesla. In about a dozen states in the US you can get one brand new for just under $22k. But I see they say it has a range of 83 miles...that isn't much... Guess the US doesn't get a longer range version?

We have one, too, except ours is the down-market one with the halogen headlights, etc. We love it.

She's had it for over a year, and has never had to stop at a gas station, get her oil changed, and will never need to get it "smogged". Plus, we get to ride in the HOV lane even if there's only one of us in the car.

I will say, though, that it only works for us because:
-1- We have a home charger
-2- We have a 2nd vehicle

No, the US does not get the 300km/186mi version (which is really more like 124mi because the testing used to score it at 300 is an incredibly inaccurate and unrealistic synthetic rating).

Last edited:
@JCE: thanks, yes you will get the longer range version. Here, there are so many super chargers that I don?t need it :)

@NecroJoe: that?s 50% of the reason I got this EV car too! Free bus lane (must have at least one passenger), free toll charges, only like 50 dollar a year for road taxes and free state parking. And there is no tax on the car when new so in Norway money - it?s dirt cheap :)

There are road charges that also serve as parking spaces right outside mye street, and it?s also free. So it works for me too :)

I would love an e-golf as a daily to move my ass to work and back. I would still need another car, though.

I would love an e-golf as a daily to move my ass to work and back. I would still need another car, though.

Same. TBH a electric car, despite my gearhead driven misgivings (lack of engine note mainly) would be ideal for my daily life. Little to no maintenance costs, etc.

Right now the biggest issue if I were in the market would be charging one. Low-end apartment living makes it difficult if not impossible.

Stomping on the gas at 70mph isn't exactly thrilling, but the pull from a stop is amazing, isn't it?

I wish the new computer were compatible with our car. We got the last year of the nav system, and it's fucking terrible.

@rickhamilton620 this right here are the reasons why I went for an EV on "sale". I save$100+ each month by going from an 10+ year old BMW to a new eGolf and since charging is free and super charging is dirt cheap - it was an easy choice for me. Also, saving 45 minutes in the morning at the times I comute from another place further away from my work place is also great, since I can use the bus lanes. Tol charge is also free :)

NecroJoe 100% correct. Also, 4 of 5 trips for my is city driving so it suits me fine :) Was the previous gen nav system that awful? I have used mine only once and it was OK.

Sounds like a wise car for your needs. Congrats!

luokyio thanks, I bought this car with my brain and not my heart, unlike my two last cars (Boxster/ 325i). The cars can't even compare when it comes to driving experice, fossil BMWs will always be the ultimate driving machine to me :) But I'm not complaining, lot's of great stuff with having a brand new car!

This is one of the many supercharges in my city.. 20 minutes charges the batt from 20-80% (approx):

This is an example of the many street parking spaces that provides free (slow) charging:

Last edited:
Well, to be honest, the charging at the street stations is only that slow because most onboard chargers are crap and they're trying to save money there. Theoretically, the stations can deliver about 150 km/hour, but the onboard electronics are mostly limited to about 25 km/hour -_- then you have the zoe, where they put a proper AC onboard charger like that, but in turn left out the DC quick charger option (at least similarly dumb)... Bah!

The charging system makes up of three parts: your cars ability to accept power by hr, size of charing cable and the charging stations ability to provide power. My on board charger can accept a miximum of 3,6 kw. This takes about 13 hrs to charge with 2.3 kw / 10A and 8 hrs at 3.6 kw / 16A. Max charging spees requires the iuse of type 2 cable outlet box, with the outlet charing at max speed 10A.

Last edited: