Katrina victims sue the United States...

Cryptopygia

The Eastern state where you can't fill your tank
Car(s)
Whichever car is still working
...for $3,014,170,389,176,410 (Yep, 3 quadrillion. 15 digits)

NEW ORLEANS - Hurricane Katrina's victims have put a price tag on their suffering and it is staggering ? including one plaintiff seeking the unlikely sum of $3 quadrillion.

The total number ? $3,014,170,389,176,410 ? is the dollar figure so far sought from some 489,000 claims filed against the federal government over damage from the failure of levees and flood walls following the Aug. 29, 2005, hurricane.

Of the total number of claims, the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers said it has received 247 for at least $1 billion apiece, including the one for $3 quadrillion.

"That's the mother of all high numbers," said Loren Scott, a Baton Rouge-based economist.

For the sake of perspective: A mere $1 quadrillion would dwarf the U.S. gross domestic product, which Scott said was $13.2 trillion in 2007. A stack of one quadrillion pennies would reach Saturn.

Some residents may have grossly exaggerated their claims to send a message to the corps, which has accepted blame for poorly designing the failed levees.

"I understand the anger," Scott said. "I also understand it's a negotiating tactic: Aim high and negotiate down."

Daniel Becnel, Jr., a lawyer who said his clients have filed more than 60,000 claims, said measuring Katrina's devastation in dollars and cents is a nearly impossible task.

"There's no way on earth you can figure it out," he said. "The trauma these people have undergone is unlike anything that has occurred in the history of our country."

The corps released zip codes, but no names, for the 247 claims of at least $1 billion. The list includes a $77 billion claim by the city of New Orleans. Fourteen involve a wrongful death claim. Fifteen were filed by businesses, including several insurance companies.

Little is known about the person who claimed $3 quadrillion. It was filed in Baker, 93 miles northwest of New Orleans. Baker is far from the epicenter of Katrina's destruction, but the city has a trailer park where hundreds of evacuees have lived since the storm.

Katrina, which is blamed for more than 1,600 deaths in Louisiana and Mississippi, is considered the most destructive storm to ever hit the U.S. It caused at least $60 billion in insured losses and could cost Gulf Coast states up to $125 billion, according to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.

Most of the claims were filed before a deadline that coincided with Katrina's second anniversary, but the Corps is still receiving them ? about 100 claims have arrived over the past three weeks ? and is feeding them into a computer database.

The Corps said it isn't passing judgment on the merits of each claim. Federal courts are in charge of deciding if a claim is valid and how much compensation is warranted.

"It's important to the person who filed it, so we're taking every single claim seriously," Corps spokeswoman Amanda Jones said.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22571349/?GT1=10755

Wow, someone just took the award for the most ridiculous claim ever off the trouserless judge.

Maybe they should learn to build proper houses next time. Not made out of plywood.

It's sad to see the people there have to go to these extremes. We're pouring billions of dollars into a third world country half the world away, but we can only manage to send a small fraction of that to help our own citizens. It makes me sick.

So the people are suing the government...meaning that the taxpayers are suing themselves.

Don't want to be flooded out? For a hint, click below...

DON'T LIVE BELOW SEA LEVEL, ALONG A COAST, BETWEEN A RIVER AND A LAKE IN THE FREQUENT PATH OF HURRICANES, YOU BLEEDING HALF-WITS!

Last edited:
This moron seeking the ridiculous amount will single-handedly screw over any legitimate claims because of its outrageousnes. Quite frankly, I don't think any body deserves to get rich from this disaster.

So the people are suing the government...meaning that the taxpayers are suing themselves.

Don't want to be flooded out? For a hint, click below...

DON'T LIVE BELOW SEA LEVEL, ALONG A COAST, BETWEEN A RIVER AND A LAKE IN THE FREQUENT PATH OF HURRICANES, YOU BLEEDING HALF-WITS!
I was about to say the same thing, lol. What moron builds a house below sea level and doesn't have flood insurance?

Blind's response: /thread

Good luck, morons. If they had sued for the loss of a house and property, and loss of XX amount of month's income, they could have stood a chance. But as always, people get greedy.

Last edited:

And worse, other taxpayers...so basically all the money we hand over to the government for useful stuff like, oh I dunno, education or public works perhaps is going to these unjustifiably greedy 'tards.

$3 quadrillion dollars? Is there even that much money in the known universe? Jeez, might as well just bite the bullet and sue for one billion, million, gajillion, fafillion... shababalu... million...yen. Why make trillions when we can make...BILLIONS?

Dr_Evil.jpg

Weren't they given money to build the levee's and spent it on other stuff several years before hand

$3 quadrillion dollars? Is there even that much money in the known universe? Jeez, might as well just bite the bullet and sue for one billion, million, gajillion, fafillion... shababalu... million...yen. Why make trillions when we can make...BILLIONS?

I'm gonna sue you for vigintillion dollars!

Dr_Evil.jpg

I think there isnt. And I'm almost positive there isn't that much hard cash on the planet.

And that's the first picture that poped into my mind when I read the title. :D

What moron builds a house below sea level and doesn't have flood insurance?
I highly doubt any insurance would effect a policy against flooding in that area, at least not for figures anyone of them could pay. The reason is apparent.

Yes, either the Premium would be prohibitive with many exclusions, or no one would write the business. I do however think that the Levees should have been kept in proper repair and the person who decided on the budget cut which caused the failure should be made personally responsible. He should have resigned at the time that his budget was cut, stating his reasons.

Weren't they given money to build the levee's and spent it on other stuff several years before hand

Yes, but they voted(!) to spend it on other things.

In other news, the fact that you're all talking about it means the original intent worked.