Katrina victims sue the United States...

At least there is a [non] written statement now. New Orleans is a stupid place to live. And Americans sue too much.

And indeed, why does it seem that everywhere, as was the same with the British floods in the summer, that gets hit by some natural disaster, because of conditions anyone could have seen (i.e. not a freak tornado) does no-one have insurance, leading to absurd things like this happening. Its amazing. I know we have house insurance, and we live in a pretty safe area, on a hill, with houses all around us. The only thing we have to worry about is a burglar or an earthquake.

Insurance companies aren't stupid, if the risk to get hit by a flood is extremely high than the premium will be high, to an extent that people cannot afford them.

Amazing that in the late 1800's people would band together and rebuild and they actually protested if the government tried to step in to help. Now they build wherever they feel like and then sue the government when s**t hits the fan. It doesn't matter, however, we are supposed to be the richest nation in the world, of course we can pay this. I blame the government because all they have to do is print more money and borrow more money from China, then we could pay for nationalized health-care, social security, medi-caid and this lawsuit. So get the printing press rolling Bush.

Maybe they should learn to build proper houses next time. Not made out of plywood.
The houses there, for the most part, had been there for decades. They'd been built at a time when the levees were assumed to be adequate. And that much water will destroy just about anything. There was a good deal of brick and mortar buildings and old plantation houses that were destroyed elsewhere on the coast.

Insurance companies aren't stupid, if the risk to get hit by a flood is extremely high than the premium will be high, to an extent that people cannot afford them.
Yup, and the lowest (ie most likely to be devastatingly flooded) areas of New Orleans were also the poorest. I mean holyfuckingshit poor.

This whole thing is so stupid that I have to laugh. I hate frivolous lawsuits, but 3 quadrillion dollars? :lmao: Like others have mentioned, I could understand New Orleans citizens suing for property damage, lost wages, etc etc. But when people start suing for billions because their house was wrecked, they just lose any real credibility (to me at least). But I do think some of them have a case. The Corp of Engineers had petitioned time and again for more funding to build up the levees; and they were turned down over and over. It doesn't even seem like they had enough for regular maintenance, as evidence by the pump failures after the levees broke.

I blame the government because all they have to do is print more money and borrow more money from China, then we could pay for nationalized health-care, social security, medi-caid and this lawsuit. So get the printing press rolling Bush.

Sounds like you're advocating the sale of the US to China?

don't get me wrong, it's half sold already :lol: and i believe the Chinese government would do a better job at running the place....... at least there corruption is called corruption and not lobbying.

At least there is a [non] written statement now. New Orleans is a stupid place to live. And Americans sue too much.

A lot of the people from NO have figured that out after being out of the area for a while. When everyone was shipped off to Utah and Dallas they found out what a decent school system, is like. NO has ranked as the #1 corrupt state for a long time. Many of the people (mostly black) have come to the conclusion that they just weren't wanted there, and Katrina has shown them the light once and for all.

And indeed, why does it seem that everywhere, as was the same with the British floods in the summer, that gets hit by some natural disaster, because of conditions anyone could have seen (i.e. not a freak tornado) does no-one have insurance, leading to absurd things like this happening. Its amazing. I know we have house insurance, and we live in a pretty safe area, on a hill, with houses all around us. The only thing we have to worry about is a burglar or an earthquake.

The insurance companies are ROYALLY fucking over just about everyone hit by Katrina. A couple have even come out and said if they paid everyone they should, the entire industry would be bankrupt.

PSA: I'd like to ask Viper and Blind if they both have Earthquake insurance on their homes? Pac rim and all *shrug*

No, because I don't own a home. I rent a condo and all my possessions are covered against earthquake, fire, flood, theft, power surge (for the electronics), etc. by my renter's policy. Our family home in Salt Lake (just as high a risk for earthquake as San Francisco, if not higher) does have full earthquake coverage.