Ken Block enters WRC - Interview

ricochet

Car(s)
Press car of the week
Ken Block (founder of DC Shoes and driver for Subaru Rally Team USA) announced last week he's going into the WRC as part of the newly formed and Ford backed Monster World Rally Team. He'll also be contesting the Rally America Championship in a Ford Fiesta prepared by Olsbergs.

Part 1 of the 3 part interview:
[YOUTUBE]I38POigrZ-g[/YOUTUBE]

Transcript here:
http://www.drivingsports.com/site/2010/01/ken-block-interview-part-1/

Good interview, Block seems to be aware that he might be out on deep water in the WRC... Good luck to him though!
:burnrubber:

I don't see why the WRC should be confined to one thread, and Block entering the WRC is quite big news.

I didn't think he was WRC standard?

And I didn't know he founded DC, wow!

Block entering the WRC is quite big news.

Only to people who were never into WRC before and though his gymkhana vid was the absolute pinnacle of driving skills.

I'm more excited to see Atkinson's return and the Solberg-Gali pairing.

Only to people who were never into WRC before and though his gymkhana vid was the absolute pinnacle of driving skills.

Which is actually quite a big group of people. Block has a considerable fanbase in US which is a market where WRC has never been too big in, and on that front this is a big deal for the championship.

I'm more excited to see Atkinson's return and the Solberg-Gali pairing.

Sorry to disappoint you, but Petter said that his team will only field one car for himself and there will be no second car for Galli or anyone else. (edit: he mentioned this in wrc.com interview)

Awwww, so sad about no teammate for Solberg. After looking at the wiki it seems I was mistaken about Atkinson as well. ):

I still don't see Block's US fans having much of an impact on WRC viewership/attendance/merch sales/etc. The only way to get timely coverage over here is from RU and they don't have any events on this side of the pond. I guess I'll just have to see how it plays out in the 2010 season.

While not in the US, the WRC will be in Mexico this year and has been in Argentina in previous seasons.

Awwww, so sad about no teammate for Solberg. After looking at the wiki it seems I was mistaken about Atkinson as well. ):

I still don't see Block's US fans having much of an impact on WRC viewership/attendance/merch sales/etc. The only way to get timely coverage over here is from RU and they don't have any events on this side of the pond. I guess I'll just have to see how it plays out in the 2010 season.

Isn't there a TV deal for 2010? I recall some channel run by Discovery during the second half of last year talking about the deal in World Rally Radio...

As far as events go, there's one in Mexico so North America is not completely forgotten. If the presence of Block and a US-based team does raise WRC's profile in USA I'm sure there would at least be an effort to include USA in the calendar.

Isn't there a TV deal for 2010? I recall some channel run by Discovery during the second half of last year talking about the deal in World Rally Radio....

Yah, for 2009 we had reasonably current coverage on Discovery's HD
Theater channel. Probably going to do the same for 2010.

Whoever the interviewer is has one of the most annoying voices I've ever heard. I almost couldn't get through the video.

Other than that (being a wrx owner) no harsh feelings at all, I'm happy he's giving the WRC a go and it obviously wouldn't be feasible with Subaru.

He's just gonna have to perform well. It would be a little embarrassing getting beat by a whole bunch of guys who don't even have their own videogame.

/tongue in cheek

what's with the rap music?