Kids send Marcus the lamb to slaughter

That is brilliant. Kids more mature than adults.

Shoot me now.

the materialism comment didn't make much sense reading it now, but when you kill an animal, kids aged 6 to 11 are supposed to cry...looking at a lamb as food is what adults do, and i still think it's weird that such young children make such rational decisions, they're supposed to live in their own fantasy world and not having to deal with sending animals to the slaughterhouse

why are they supposed to cry again? I don't see anywhere in the article where they say the lamb was raised as a pet. If the teachers were doing their job and honestly teaching these kids about raising farm animals and how a farm works their response seems to be exactly what you would expect. Also you might want to take into account what part of the country they are coming from if you take a look at the area surrounding lydd school it sure looks like nothing but fields and farm land to me so it is entirely likely that a bunch of these children already have experience with what happens to farm animals.

It's probably not much to look at on the ground, but that looks so cool from space.

Sounds like this is a great school to go to. It produces Children far more mature than the parents involved. It sounds like a lot of them need to stop and think about what is on their plates before they get up in arms over kids making a very sensible decision in the context of the program.

Well, I am not disagreeing with what they have done in any way, and I honestly think the "strangeness" in this matter is all in how the article is written. But I have been a child, I know children and in my experience, children of this age are not supposed to make this kind of thinking, they are supposed to be sad and crying because their pet is going away from them.

This is what I have always seen. Teach a child how to take care of an animal and he will not want to leave it.

Also, if you'd show a child what actually happens to the slaughtered lamb, if you'd let him see the lamb die, then I think most of these children would change their mind about the fate of Marcus the lamb; not because killing the lamb is bad or something like this, but because an average 8-9 yo child still has to elaborate this things (many adults still have to...).

So, either they haven't relly grown the lamb themselves, or they weren't aware of what the fate of the lamb would be. Either way they are not demonic children (well, not more than they are normally anyway).

Honestly, the only thing I fear for the children is that they might have been taught how to make money killing a lamb before even knowing what killing a lamb exactly means, because this might really make damage to their minds. But I hope I am mistaken.

Last edited:
the materialism comment didn't make much sense reading it now, but when you kill an animal, kids aged 6 to 11 are supposed to cry...looking at a lamb as food is what adults do, and i still think it's weird that such young children make such rational decisions, they're supposed to live in their own fantasy world and not having to deal with sending animals to the slaughterhouse

Again, where are you people getting these ideas about kids? Personally, I'm a lot more soft-hearted now than when I was little. When I was a kid, the chickens and pigs and cows grew up and got killed and eaten, and that's just how life was. Now that I'm an adult and can question how the animal feels and what I feel comfortable eating I feel much more sympathy for animals and no longer eat them.

I find most country kids to be annoyed and a little scared by farm animals, not overawed by their cuddliness. Because, again, if you've ever seen a farm animal up close in the flesh, it's neither cute nor cuddly, regardless of what your PETA pamphlet tells you.

Again, where are you people getting these ideas about kids? Personally, I'm a lot more soft-hearted now than when I was little. When I was a kid, the chickens and pigs and cows grew up and got killed and eaten, and that's just how life was. Now that I'm an adult and can question how the animal feels and what I feel comfortable eating I feel much more sympathy for animals and no longer eat them.

I find most country kids to be annoyed and a little scared by farm animals, not overawed by their cuddliness. Because, again, if you've ever seen a farm animal up close in the flesh, it's neither cute nor cuddly, regardless of what your PETA pamphlet tells you.

Where I live pigs were raised and killed normally. Every rural family had one (or more, depending on their money) pig(s), and once per year, the pig was slaughtered to make hams and salamis, and children were never around during these moments, because they might have been scared by the pig's crying.

I am sure they understood, after a certain age, of course, what the pig's fate was, and I am sure they didn't complain (the pig was not their "pet") and rather had a good slice of bread and ham, but they weren't discussing or choosing the fate of the pig either. How could they do that, before even being able to stand the moment of the slaughtering without running away?

That's the same with these children. They need to learn how to raise a farm, they need to learn how life works, but unless some of what is written in th article is missing or not entirely correct, I don't think they can actually do what is written, nor I think everything is well in the rather strange event that everything in the article was correctly reported.

To sum up: what they have done is not wrong, it is strange that some children have done it.

Last edited:
To everyone who think that these children are some kind of weird emotionless monsters:
Vast majority of children on earth spend their childhood working in one way or the other... so by that logic what we as westerners think is a normal childhood behavior and what we think childhood is all about is wrong.

Just throwing it out there.

I think the choice to kill the lamb for food was unexpected that's all. But keep in mind, the kids knew they would get some pigs in return. So they would next learn about pigs...

What is truly shocking to me is that it is the adults in this that are the childs. It may be true that maybe the news article is leaving something out but if it is subjective I think I like the decision made by these kids. PETA could learn alot from them. Meat is food and it comes from animals, all animals. Therefore animals = food.

It's not rocket science. It isnt even algebra for fucks sake.

3506616986_7a4c36d074.jpg

This made me go lol! :D
After thinking about it for a moment it might be the scariest picture and/or text I have ever seen.

That is brilliant. Kids more mature than adults.

Shoot me now.

Only if you promise to shoot me back.
Oh... wait...

Last edited:
The only question is...Did the kids have some wings and sausages with their lamb chops?

I'd rather this than the damn "city 4H" programs that breed rabbits for no purpose other than breeding them and get rid of them by going around contributing to pet over population.

To everyone who think that these children are some kind of weird emotionless monsters:
Vast majority of children on earth spend their childhood working in one way or the other... so by that logic what we as westerners think is a normal childhood behavior and what we think childhood is all about is wrong.

Just throwing it out there.

I think the choice to kill the lamb for food was unexpected that's all. But keep in mind, the kids knew they would get some pigs in return. So they would next learn about pigs...

What is truly shocking to me is that it is the adults in this that are the childs. It may be true that maybe the news article is leaving something out but if it is subjective I think I like the decision made by these kids. PETA could learn alot from them. Meat is food and it comes from animals, all animals. Therefore animals = food.

It's not rocket science. It isnt even algebra for fucks sake.

I'm not one to defend PETA- and I do agree with you. But saying it's okay for humans to kill others for food simply because their bodies can be used as food is a misrepresenting argument. I could use a cow as food, or a dog as food, or a human as food. That doesn't mean I'm going to say it's okay to eat dogs and humans. There are other reasons and many far better arguments to diffuse PETA about.

Thats in today's modern world. If you go back 50 years or even today to rural parts the kids being part of farms and understanding what happen to cute animals, and it was that they ended up on your plate. I grew up in the city, but have spoke to many older folks who would talk about their times on the farm growing up.

Also it seems the school is located in a farming area, which even makes more sense.

When I was a kid, we had a pig named Penny.

She was a great pig - very intelligent, dug her way out of her pen countless times. I fed her, bathed her, and even helped muck out her pen from time to time.

When she was big enough, I helped my dad load her onto the truck to be slaughtered, and she came back as almost two hundred pounds of chops, bacon, ham, loin, and shoulder.

Did I cry when she left? Hell, no! She was food - no more, no less. I understood that, and I believe the kids understood that as well. (Well, apart from one of them.)

Has anyone here ever seen the show The F Word? Chef Ramsay raised animals in his backyard for slaughter each season, and his kids had no problem with it. I don't remember there being a big fuss over it, either, although I don't live in the UK so any brouhaha may not have made it this far.

Last edited:
I occasionally like to make a leg of lamb in my rotisserie. The first time my daughter was old enough to ask me about it, she said "Leg of lamb? Like a real little sheep?" All I said to her was "Yes, but don't worry, it wasn't the last one. There are more out there." She seemed satisfied with that answer and hasn't complained when I put it on her plate. It's not like it's unicorn or something... there will always be more sheep. Tasty, tasty sheep!

Y'all city slickers are hilarious :lol:

Sorry I didn't read the article, did they have to slaughter it themselves? Or is everyone here just getting their panties in a bunch cuz they (even now) wouldn't be able to send it off themselves?

Maybe they can work their way from lambs to pigs right up to a kobe cow for their final project.

I'm not one to defend PETA- and I do agree with you. But saying it's okay for humans to kill others for food simply because their bodies can be used as food is a misrepresenting argument. I could use a cow as food, or a dog as food, or a human as food. That doesn't mean I'm going to say it's okay to eat dogs and humans. There are other reasons and many far better arguments to diffuse PETA about.

I wont even touch the subject of cannibalism.

Personally however I think this is the very best subject to trash talk PETA. Humans are omnivours. If our digestive system can use and consume the things we eat as food it's OK to kill that something and eat it. Maby I cannot explain well enough what I wanna say here.

Saying that it is wrong to kill something if you're hungry... saying that it is ethically wrong to kill an animal so you can eat it completely ignores the fact that humans and other animals need food in order to stay alive. Saying that our digestive system and teet are designed to consume vegetables and not flesh completely ignores the fact that we can do BOTH.

And when people start to take offence when an animal that was bred and raised to eventually become FOOD... well that's when you know things have really gotten fucked up. When it comes to dogs wether you like it or not the reason or reasons you don't eat dogs has more to do with your cultural background than anything else.

Yes it is perfoectly OK to kill something to eat it. It's more than OK it is nature.

Last edited: