Kids send Marcus the lamb to slaughter

Mary apparently opposed

So this was like a pet to all 14 children, right? And they decided to kill it, although it didn't do anything wrong? This is why the world is what it is right now

No, they were in a farming education class type thing. I don't believe that every animal that ends up on a plate got there by doing someone wrong ("that lamb was lookin' at my sista'!") and deserved to die. :rolleyes:

These children learned about farming, and raising animals...then selling the animal for food to buy other animals. I applaud them for actually grasping the concept, and didn't just go "But...we named him! We want to keep him! Don't kill Marcus!" The children decided.

The world is the way it is because the parents objected because apparently children shouldn't be exposed to the same circle of life that I'll bet they were already aware of when they were that age.

And I'm willing to bet that it wasn't even the parents who put up a big stink, but completely unrelated members of the public who probably don't even live anywhere near this community.

When I was 6, I was a member of a 4H group who raised a cow, and sold it for slaughter. We learned SOOOO much from this about animal care, breeding, farming, and food production. I was already growing up around farmers and had already butched my first chicken by then, which we then ate. And not because the chicken "did anything wrong."

Last edited:
I don't have a problem with the lamb. I just have trouble understanding why a group of children would vote to have their pet "culled".

I mean, what the hell?

I think it's been made clear that this was not a "pet" lamb, but a farm animal.

Again, because it's not their pet. This was a farm. My family raised bison (buffalo, to most people...even though they are different) and emus, and we had a dog. The buffalo and emus were raised as livestock. My mom named them, but that was the extent of our "pet" experience with them. Our dog, on the other hand, was treated like a member of the family. (granted, a member of the family that wasn't allowed in the house, but he had his own. :p)

...There are other reasons and many far better arguments to diffuse PETA about.

You mean like that they're batshit insane? Yeah.

I don't have a problem with the lamb. I just have trouble understanding why a group of children would vote to have their pet "culled".

I mean, what the hell?

It wasn't a fucking pet. *grumbles something and walks away in a huff*

I wont even touch the subject of cannibalism.

Personally however I think this is the very best subject to trash talk PETA. Humans are omnivours. If our digestive system can use and consume the things we eat as food it's OK to kill that something and eat it. Maby I cannot explain well enough what I wanna say here.

Saying that it is wrong to kill something if you're hungry... saying that it is ethically wrong to kill an animal so you can eat it completely ignores the fact that humans and other animals need food in order to stay alive. Saying that our digestive system and teet are designed to consume vegetables and not flesh completely ignores the fact that we can do BOTH.

And when people start to take offence when an animal that was bred and raised to eventually become FOOD... well that's when you know things have really gotten fucked up. When it comes to dogs wether you like it or not the reason or reasons you don't eat dogs has more to do with your cultural background than anything else.

Yes it is perfoectly OK to kill something to eat it. It's more than OK it is nature.

I was touching on the same point- if you are hungry and need to eat, it is nature to eat whatever or whoever is around. This does include cannibalism when there is nothing else to go around. I'm not doubting you about human nature; but simply tacking on something else- humans would (and do in leaner parts of the world) kill and eat other humans. And it is really only a cultural thing that we don't either, just like dogs.

^Actually, cannibalism is very much a human thing. Animals will tend not to eat other animals that are just like themselves aka same species. If they find an animal of the same species dead, most animals would leave the carcass alone.

Also, murder is very much a human thing. Animals will tend to avoid killing one of their own and will only do so when they have no other choice, such as protecting offsprings and such. Also, although animals will often fight in territorial disputes and such, this will most likely only ever result in small injuries. During such disputes, if one of the animals does die, it's purely by accident and it happens very very rarely.

Kind of puts things in perspective, doesn't it?

Animals will tend to avoid killing one of their own and will only do so when they have no other choice, such as protecting offsprings and such.

Um, what? Just no. Here are some examples: the praying mantis female eats her male mate shortly after he inseminates her. Mother gerbils are notorious for eating their babies for any number of reasons. Wolves routinely kill each other over food/mates/alpha privileges. Bettas will destroy each other if kept in the same tank.

The list goes on. Humans are not unique in any way. We are not the only cannibals, we are not the only warriors, we are not the only queers. Nothing we do hasn't been done before, except maybe particle physics. :)

Last edited:
Actually, cannibalism is very much a human thing. Animals will tend not to eat other animals that are just like themselves aka same species.

Actually, quite a few species will eat their own kind.

Alligators will kill and eat inferior alligators.

Pike fish hunt smaller pike fish.

Some species (e.g. some spiders) eat the male after mating.

It's common for cats to eat other dead cats as well, especially in the case of one of those crazy cat people who "takes care" of 60 of them.

Very few animals have escalated to the human level of understanding of others, so they don't see others of their kind as a "sacred" being not to be messed with.

Though it must be said, we are the only species that does everything on massive scale- including massive scale relative to population. Hiroshima and Nagasaki for example, hundreds of thousands of people affected by what could (now, at least) be manufactured by only a few thousand.

And I don't see that humans really have an escalated understanding- we are far smarter, certainly, but this is our only true distinction. Hate to bring up an old example here, but put humans in a panic situation and we will act not only below the so-called "human" standard, we will in fact act below the standard to which we hold other animals as well.

And the individual example argument does not hold up here (as in, "oh, the building was falling down and they didn't trample each other, they helped each other instead! humans are so wonderful!). We are holding all other species by a collective standard- as in average behaviour- and the average human's behaviour is right in line with my first example.

Last edited:
^Actually, cannibalism is very much a human thing. Animals will tend not to eat other animals that are just like themselves aka same species. If they find an animal of the same species dead, most animals would leave the carcass alone.

riiight so praying mantis doesn't eat the male after copulation?
or there's no spiders who eat their mother once they've hatched... these things are all lies then?

A starving animal will eat a dead sibling if it has to... and a human is also an animal and most will do the same to survive if theres no other alternative.

I didn't say that murder and cannibalism does not happen in the animal world, I'm just saying that by comparison, it happens so very rarely in the animal world as it does for humans. Also, humans are the only ones who will kill out of no reason whatsoever. That you can't say that animals do. If they kill each other it may be over territory, it may be over food, it may be over mates. But it will never be "because he was just sitting there while I was holding the gun".

I didn't say that murder and cannibalism does not happen in the animal world, I'm just saying that by comparison, it happens so very rarely in the animal world as it does for humans. Also, humans are the only ones who will kill out of no reason whatsoever. That you can't say that animals do. If they kill each other it may be over territory, it may be over food, it may be over mates. But it will never be "because he was just sitting there while I was holding the gun".

This I agree with you on, and was something of the point of my previous post. While all mammal species are capable of murder, rape, torture, and cannibalism, only humans kill for no reason, commit mass-murder, and mass betrayal.

that's because we don't have a predator species to kill off the mental people, animals that aren't right are to the first to get ate :p

Wow, where do you guys get your information? There are lots of species that kill each other basically only because that's what they do. Again, see bettas. Stop ascribing noble characteristics to beasts just to try to make some fuzzy moral point.

well other primates when kept in confinement (like zoos and what have you) have been known to become apathic and kill other members for no apparant reason.
crazyness isn't a unique human condition either.

Seems to me like that's an especially smart group of children. For young kids to overrule their sense of wanting to keep a lamb as a pet and instead see the bigger picture is pretty impressive and not something I'd expect of them.

If they're rural kids though they likely already have experience of this, the near unanimous vote makes me think that this might be the case.