Kill, reformat or do nothing?

Kill, reformat or do nothing?

• I would kill off the show after this season.

Votes: 17 8.1%
  • I would reformat the show after this season.

Votes: 55 26.2%
  • I would leave it as it is.

Votes: 138 65.7%

• Total voters
Re-Format. Definitely. They should axe Richard Hammond and bring Tiff Needell onto the show. Tiff may not be the best presenter in the world, but he is a bloody good driver and I like his reviews. The reason I suggest Hammond to be axed is that he has lost all ability to be part of a car show. If he can magically be the person he was in the first few series again, then he could even stay. Clarkson still has the ability to film a good car review as we have seen on rare occasions in the last few series. And James May is exactly the same.

I think a new studio (again) perhaps a bit smaller than the current one, more of a focus on cars but in a sensible way. If they can get it back to being a serious car show, but with little bits of humour as it was in the first few seasons, that would be great. They really shouldn't be worrying about 'running out of ideas' as has been suggested, because they shouldn't be coming up with comedy ideas in the first place. The show is always going to die eventually if they do. In an interview a few years ago, I honestly thought that Andy Wilman realised this and was planning to get things 'back on track', but it just hasn't happened.

:clap: I'd add the RR Phantom Drophead review to that list. James again. Anyone seeing a pattern beginning to emerge?

I think the Vauxhaull Insignia VXR review also falls into this category.

These may not be "regular cars" but I think these reviews also belong in the same category as the XJ6- and Phantom-clip:

[video=youtube;osrks1t-5a4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osrks1t-5a4[/video]

Reactions: MWF
I'm particularly surprised that over 2/3 of those who voted in this poll think it's OK for TG to stay the way it is. While it is a private poll I'd be willing to wager that a large proportion of those who voted haven't been with TG since the re-launch and like many of the viewers probably first tuned in to see Hammond's crash and stayed because of the dicking around.

I still maintain that it is that which started to downward slide in quality. It gave the show such a boost in popularity and since that series was cut from the usual 10 shows to 6 because of fitting into the TV schedules they had to drop a lot of the more traditional content in favour of the stuff that required more time, money and energy to produce. This then skewed the show's format away from being a car programme that was fun into an allegedly funny programme based loosely on cars and since noone in television is going to dump a format that has greatly improved viewing figures they stuck with it.

So while Wilman and Clarkson may claim to be making the show they want to make, I strongly suspect that it is more about them making the show they feel they have to make. And that, I am sorry to have to say, is a crying shame. It's a bit like a band that hits the big time by becoming more accessible and one of the original members quitting because he feels they've lost their artistic integrity. Sadly I can only think of James being the one who might do that and since a poll here a couple of years ago proved he is by far and away the most popular of the three that would also be a crying shame.

Last edited:
Reactions: TC
I have to say that I've always enjoyed the specials. The Millau bridge episode was great, and I really wish that more of the specials would be more like that. That said, things like Botswana, Vietnam, or Bolivia/Chile, were also very entertaining to watch.

What happened to simple, quality car reviews during normal episodes?

Series 12 was good (except for Top Gear stuntman), Series 13 was somewhat acceptable, Series 14 was awful and somehow interesting at the same time, Series 15 things started to seem a little better and now, Series 16 feels worse than ever.

It's fine if they want to completely cater to a different audience now, but just as Top Gear stuntman jumped a Jaguar pulling a caravan, a lot of what is now formerly the core viewing audience is going to jump the wagon.

It's not so much that becoming an entertainment show has made people like me want to stop watching, it's that it's become a show like the American 'Minute to Win It', where you kind of watch and drool all over yourself, your mouth open with your tongue hanging out in some kind of idiotic, television induced stupor. Mix in some of 'Last of the Summer Wine' and perhaps some 'Jackass', and you've got what Top Gear has now become: a show to cater to the masses of lemmings who are simply not capable of an autonomous thought.

Last edited:
Reactions: MWF
What I think it comes down to is:

We want top gear to be a car culture show. Owning, living with, coolness of, buying, shittiness of, greatness of, enjoying cars is what we want to see.

It's becoming an entertainment show with a car review. And I'm becoming less inclined to watch it week on week with this series.

As a long term TGUK viewer down under who loves the show, it has unfortunately dramatically lost its way.
It has been like this for some years.
Gone is a REAL news segment...News! what bloody CAR news...you are lucky if you 'see' one car, the rest is just crap talk.
Too may cars tested that No one Can Afford...some would never want (not as good as they are made out to be).
Frankly, I think the issue is why we don't see a larger variety of cars tested is because Vehicle Manufacturers will no longer loan out cars to TG?.
I cant think of any other reason...
As I have said before, look back to 2004,5,6 even 2007, these were the golden years where "many other" normal cars where actually tested and talked about.

I'm particularly surprised that over 2/3 of those who voted in this poll think it's OK for TG to stay the way it is. While it is a private poll I'd be willing to wager that a large proportion of those who voted haven't been with TG since the re-launch and like many of the viewers probably first tuned in to see Hammond's crash and stayed because of the dicking around.

Well you'd be wrong. Myself, and my friends all started watching before hammonds crash, aand have seen every episode. We still love the show. Is it as good as it was? No, but its still the best TV show period, and the only mainstream car show ever. For that reason (and because I love the hosts) I still eagarly await every series, despite the overblown drop in quality. And as others have stated in this thread they feel the same way. Every show has its "golden years" and every show declines. Who cares? Its still awesome. And I bet if we set a poll for when TGUK's "golden years" were, it'd be quite varied in responses.

What I think it comes down to is:

We want top gear to be a car culture show. Owning, living with, coolness of, buying, shittiness of, greatness of, enjoying cars is what we want to see.

It's becoming an entertainment show with a car review. And I'm becoming less inclined to watch it week on week with this series.

:clap: and :+1:

I'm particularly surprised that over 2/3 of those who voted in this poll think it's OK for TG to stay the way it is. While it is a private poll I'd be willing to wager that a large proportion of those who voted haven't been with TG since the re-launch

I voted to keep it the same, and ive seen every episode they ever made.

:clap: I'd add the RR Phantom Drophead review to that list. James again. Anyone seeing a pattern beginning to emerge?

Just a little. ;)

I think the Vauxhaull Insignia VXR review also falls into this category.

I'm not sure, personally, if only because of what it was combined with -- the interview with Margaret Calvert about the history of British road signs. The two didn't really go together for me. I'd have preferred them as separate segments.

I've not voted at all in this poll. There've been recent times (read: Series 14 to now) where some episodes were crap, but there've also been times where I've very much enjoyed episodes, and there've been some eps I've found a bit "meh". I don't want to kill the show, I don't want it to stay exactly the same, but I'm also not sure they should do a complete 180, either, if only because I like a bit of both cars and cocking about. Does that make sense?

The other thing with me is: While I did become a fan after The Crash, my introduction to TG was Series 6 -- part of what I think most of the membership would consider TG's "golden era". (I didn't learn about Richard's crash until I started researching the show online.)

I still maintain that it is that which started to downward slide in quality. It gave the show such a boost in popularity and since that series was cut from the usual 10 shows to 6 because of fitting into the TV schedules they had to drop a lot of the more traditional content in favour of the stuff that required more time, money and energy to produce. This then skewed the show's format away from being a car programme that was fun into an allegedly funny programme based loosely on cars and since noone in television is going to dump a format that has greatly improved viewing figures they stuck with it.

But look at what we got directly after Series 9 (which I definitely believe was a very awkward series and one of my least favourites) and TGotP. We got the epicness of the Polar Special, and then they bounced waaaaaaay back with Series 10.

If anything's gotten in the way more recently, aside from the pressure to "perform", IMO, it's TG Live and their side projects (mainly in regards to James and Richard; Jeremy's main dealings are with TG and his annual DVD; he's not done a project that has sod-all to do with cars since 2007).

Series 12 was good (except for Top Gear stuntman),

TG Stuntman was primarily in Series 11 (though he did appear once in S12), which I thought was mediocre. S12 was good, though. (At least to me.)

Series 13 was somewhat acceptable, Series 14 was awful and somehow interesting at the same time, Series 15 things started to seem a little better and now, Series 16 feels worse than ever.

S13 was okay. Not stellar, not terrible. S14 was mostly godawful to me. A bit like watching a trainwreck. Even though you know it's pretty bad, you can't help but watch it take its natural course. (I say "mostly" because there were the two diamonds in the rough that were the Lancia film and the Bolivia/Chile special.) S15 was a bit of a bounce-back. The current series...mediocre.

Too may cars tested that No one Can Afford...some would never want (not as good as they are made out to be).

The automotive erotica -- aka the cars that "no one can afford" -- is part of the appeal, though, at least for me. And I'm sure it's that way for loads of others.

I say sack clarkson and hammond, keep may, find some random guy and a female host, and pretend like the other two didnt exist, the famous "Anyway, we've got two new hosts, here is the new ford fusion" they are always threatening to do if a host (god forbid) was killed.

I vehemently disagree. If you want them to start over, then have them start over from scratch. New producers and new presenters.

It can be a challenge to make interesting a review that's for an ordinary, seemingly unremarkable car but it used to be a challenge they were able to meet.

I would rate this as my favourite review from any episode of Top Gear.

[video=youtube;0-nAtUw4gTo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-nAtUw4gTo[/video]

Note that it's not a supercar, it's not on a race track and no differentials were harmed in the making of this review. It's also not stupid, nonsensical rubbish or an elaborate stunt sequence that ends in an explosion. In fact, there are no expolsions at all.

Man, watching that clip brings back memories. I may need to bust out my external HD and have me a TG marathon. It's so weird watching a TopGear car review that isn't entirely on the test track. Not only do you get to see a nice looking Jaaaaag, but you get a lot of interesting backgrounds and settings. A very good review. I think there was more substance in that 5 minutes than in the past several series combined.

Huh, I'm extremely surprised that there are so many people on here with the same viewpoint on this as me. If you go by the replies to the specific episode discussion threads and polls on the forums, or even the results of the poll in this thread, it seems like the majority of people by far are happy with Top Gear as it is currently. I really am delighted to see so many likeminded replies on here.

Top Gear has become, especially in this latest series, something I just put on in the background as I go about doing other things. That's really saying a lot considering Top Gear was my favourite show or heck, my favourite form of entertainment in general, just four or five years ago.

I vote that they just stop making the show before it becomes even more of a farce. When they started to do away with the factual car reviews in favour of the 'cocking about' I wasn't a big fan and thought my lessened enjoyment of Top Gear was because it was becoming too scripted and not based enough in reality. But this series I've noticed that they are really trying to find a balance between the real and the scripted, between the car reviews and the challenges... yet, every week I find myself less and less amused at Top Gear.

So I have to conclude that a reformat wouldn't really restore things in my mind, because I don't think that's the issue. Either these guys have run out of ideas, energy, passion or all three. I say let Top Gear rest in peace while the brilliant segments still outnumber the crummy ones.

Last edited:
The automotive erotica -- aka the cars that "no one can afford" -- is part of the appeal, though, at least for me. And I'm sure it's that way for loads of others.

...I don't want to kill the show, I don't want it to stay exactly the same, but I'm also not sure they should do a complete 180, either, if only because I like a bit of both cars and cocking about. Does that make sense?
Yes, yes it does. And thank you for pointing that out (Although I'm sure someone would've mentioned it in this thread before as well).

The argument of telling us (disappointed fans) to go watch Fifth Gear for Automotive journalism doesn't hold up, because it assumes we're all adenoidal car fans just looking for motoring information. I'm glad people in this thread have remembered that Top Gear used to include clever humour as well, and not just knob gags. Sure they missed sometimes (14x02, 15x04) but then they followed it up with Lancia films, Senna films. They always came back to where they were. It therefore appealed to everyone, not just car fans, and not just the 'new' audience.

For the record, I don't mind the explosions. I don't mind cocking about. But it's all about balance, a balance which they managed to keep for 15 seasons but now for some reason have thrown out for S16 (IMO of course).

It's also nice that when they review the regular you can actually buy them cars, they do silly stunts with them. Watching a corvette chase a fiesta through the mall to show off it's handling is much different that what fifth gear would do with the same car. Reasonably priced car reviews don't have to be boring.

As someone posted a bit before me, a 4th option would be good.

Also in reference to Richards crash, I only started watching the show towards the very end of Season 9, beginning of Season 10 and it was the references to "the crash" that sent me to Google what the heck they were all on about. Still creeps me out.

So while Wilman and Clarkson may claim to be making the show they want to make, I strongly suspect that it is more about them making the show they feel they have to make. And that, I am sorry to have to say, is a crying shame.

I think I'll have to agree with you 100% on that one. Like I was trying to say in one of my previous posts:

Top Gear is now so big, and now watched by over 350 million people every week in so many countries, in so many different cultures, by one of the most diverse groups out there, that I think it would really take something huge to kill it off.

Almost like Elvis in his last years. Even though at the end he wasn't the Elvis that people knew when he was in his prime, he could have shown up at an event in dirty clothes, unwashed and looking like a bum to just stand there while someone sang Happy Birthday....and people would have paid or done almost anything to go see it.

Not that I want the guys to just do totally dumbass things because they can...but have them look back at what worked, remember what they loved doing, and all the things that they can honestly say they were proud of, or truly rocked their world to do so.

And start doing those things again. :)

Concerning the utter prevalence of track tests nowadays, I'd paraphrase a question borrowed from Clarkson in 16x01 and ask it back to them: "Have you recently heard about a piece of tarmac called <<a road>>?"