Kill, reformat or do nothing?

Kill, reformat or do nothing?

• I would kill off the show after this season.

Votes: 17 8.1%
  • I would reformat the show after this season.

Votes: 55 26.2%
  • I would leave it as it is.

Votes: 138 65.7%

• Total voters

Jay

the fool on the hill
Seeing how (in my opinion of course) Top Gear has been making a slow slide into something not so good, if you had to, would you:

Kill the show off completely?

Reformat it for the next season?

Leave it as it is?

THIS POLL IS NOT PUBLIC, so feel free to be honest.

Last edited:
Leave it be. They show bits of brilliance now and then, after all.

I think what really hurts it is all the side stuff they do. Top Gear Live I am sure makes loads of cash, but now the cast and crew just end a series, go straight into TGL, then come back for another series. Then add in Jezza's annual car DVD and Richard's and James' BBC side projects. And now Richard (and James) are doing TG DVDs.

Nobody gets any kind of break to recharge and think up new stuff. It's like cramming food down the goose's neck to keep it laying golden eggs 24x7.

Let it go until the rating no longer hold up. Give it a year or two and reinvent it as something different. It worked last time.

Whatever they want. It was them doing whatever they want that made Top Gear what it is, so that's what I want them to do, whether that means a change or staying the same.

I think they should cancel it. I've read on here that they're going to do two more seasons, at least. I don't even see how that's possible seeing as how they've already run out of ideas and are just going through the motions. They all look tired and run down and look as if they've aged 15 years in 5. And James especially just looks bored and fed up with it all.

Leave it be. They show bits of brilliance now and then, after all.

I think what really hurts it is all the side stuff they do. Top Gear Live I am sure makes loads of cash, but now the cast and crew just end a series, go straight into TGL, then come back for another series. Then add in Jezza's annual car DVD and Richard's and James' BBC side projects. And now Richard (and James) are doing TG DVDs.

Nobody gets any kind of break to recharge and think up new stuff. It's like cramming food down the goose's neck to keep it laying golden eggs 24x7.

Thats it, really. I love having more episodes a year, but I'd rather have fewer episodes, but better ones. :)

I don't know about a total reformat, but I think a serious look back at the old formula would be nice. I mean, there are always new cars coming out to test, it's just the childish stunts the show has become famous for that will get old. I like the idea of doing different kinds of challenges around the world, but I think the show should really center on being a current car show. Do some serious news, talk about stuff that may not seem hilariously entertaining to those who don't give a rat's ass about cars, test new cars, do some new car comparison films, and do the occasional challenge. Right now it seems to revolve around the childish stunts, a new one each and every episode, with the occasional car film tossed in here or there to fill time or whatever.

I think they should reformat it back to 10 seasons ago. When it was a car show, there was a constant source of new material provided by the motor industry and ancillary government agencies. Now it is an entertainment show there is no external source of new material and it is inevitable that its quality will slide as they work their way through their ideas until they reach the worst and last of them. Unfortunately, they have made a habit (over the last 3 series) of lampooning the traditional road test, which may make it difficult to return to the halcyon days.

If and when Top Gear decides to bow out, I do hope they have a proper sendoff and final series. I have enjoyed season 16 thus far, and though it's not my favorite season by any means, it's still arguably the best show on television...in the world. Like others have said, maybe a bit of a break might give them time to regain their energy and creativity, and as far as the shenanigans go, that's what Top Gear is known for. I'm watching the Winter Olympics Special from season 7 right now (5 years ago), and it's the same antics, just not quite as much when compared to more current episodes. If you want a more serious motoring show, watch something else, but anyone who thinks that a worldwide-known show with ~400 million viewers should be cancelled is just being delusional.

They'll end Top Gear when they're good and ready to, and I'm sure they'll want to end it in style. Until then, enjoy it. There will come a time when Top Gear is no more and you'll regret ever wishing them to cancel it.

Last edited:
I love TG the way it is, but i agree that it is looking a bit tired. things like a new studio, new segments, and more proper reviews should be combined to create a new TG, but with a few features from the current show like the cool wall and the news

Just to point out a couple. Do we need one of these threads every week? Can't there be a sub-forum for people who've become fed up with Top Gear?

If you did that, there wouldn't be any new threads (worth reading) started here.

I know it's an Entertainment show and not a Car show now, but I think the whole reason most people began watching Top Gear is because they liked cars. Not just supercars, but all types of vehicles being tested and reviewed. The fact it was presented in such an appealing way was just a bonus, and what kept people from just reading magazines. I don't think the presenters' friendly banter was ever the entire reason any petrolhead watched the show.

Unfortunately the latest Season has really left the shows old audience out to dry. I'd like them to go back 10 Seasons as well but since they probably won't, I'd rather just see them go out on a high. I don't think they'll pull the plug just yet, but let's hope they don't completely forget what the show was about while they were gaining their cult-like following...

Reactions: TC
I love TG the way it is, but i agree that it is looking a bit tired. things like a new studio, new segments, and more proper reviews should be combined to create a new TG, but with a few features from the current show like the cool wall and the news

When was the last time they did that?

If they went back and reformatted the show to what it was a few years ago then the ratings would drop because all the casual viewers who tuned in from 2006 will stop watching. Top Gear's current format makes the BBC and presenters very wealthy. They won't do anything to jeopardize that. Money talks.

I don't know about a total reformat, but I think a serious look back at the old formula would be nice. I mean, there are always new cars coming out to test, it's just the childish stunts the show has become famous for that will get old. I like the idea of doing different kinds of challenges around the world, but I think the show should really center on being a current car show. Do some serious news, talk about stuff that may not seem hilariously entertaining to those who don't give a rat's ass about cars, test new cars, do some new car comparison films, and do the occasional challenge. Right now it seems to revolve around the childish stunts, a new one each and every episode, with the occasional car film tossed in here or there to fill time or whatever.

This is it. The funny things they say when talking about cars makes a great show. Add in one special episode or challenge a series and it would be great.

In my view, Series 10 was by far the best. It had the right mix of cocking about and seriousness.

I think, actually, a hiatus might do them a bit of good?
I actually don't want to explain my reasoning on this (because I uh, don't have much aside from maybe them catching a bit of a break?) but maybe you guys could throw the pros and cons of that around. :eek:

I know it's an Entertainment show and not a Car show now, but I think the whole reason most people began watching Top Gear is because they liked cars. Not just supercars, but all types of vehicles being tested and reviewed. The fact it was presented in such an appealing way was just a bonus, and what kept people from just reading magazines. I don't think the presenters' friendly banter was ever the entire reason any petrolhead watched the show.

Unfortunately the latest Season has really left the shows old audience out to dry. I'd like them to go back 10 Seasons as well but since they probably won't, I'd rather just see them go out on a high. I don't think they'll pull the plug just yet, but let's hope they don't completely forget what the show was about while they were gaining their cult-like following...

Some of the best reviews were done with average cars.

Austere said:
I've read on here that they're going to do two more seasons, at least.

Ahh, the reputable source that is Finalgear ;)

Last edited: