Kill, reformat or do nothing?

Kill, reformat or do nothing?

• I would kill off the show after this season.

Votes: 17 8.1%
  • I would reformat the show after this season.

Votes: 55 26.2%
  • I would leave it as it is.

Votes: 138 65.7%

• Total voters
I clicked "reformat" but the show really needs only a course correction in my eyes. What I have been missing in the last few seasons:

- Real road tests Top Gear style, where the blokes drive three different cars and cock about in them. Get away from the test track, it's enough when the Stig and the SIARPC do their laps there.
- What happened to the Cool Wall? Of course you can only use it, when you review cars...
- It's time again for an epic TG race.
- Binding in the audience again, right now they only function as decoration for the background.
- Being more creative again with the TG challenges

What do I mean with the last point? Well, it seems like the challenges have become longer but less interesting.

Let's take one of the best challenges ever, the amphibian car challenge. What made it so good, was not only the final challenge but also the construction phase. I still can't stop laughing, when I see Jeremy trying to put out the fire he caused with the blowtorch:lol:

However, recent challenges left away that "making of" and simply began with "We met at a parking lot somewhere at a motorway..." and then lots of "funny" episodes were forced in instead. Take the motorhome challenge as an example.The basic idea to that challenge was good and it had potential but they put too much stuff into it, it was overloaded and therefore became unfunny.

Last edited:

Let's take one of the best challenges ever, the amphibian car challenge. What made it so good, was not only the final challenge but also the construction phase. I still can't stop laughing, when I see Jeremy trying to put out the fire he caused with the blowtorch:lol:

Oh yeah, one of my favorite episodes. :)

The bit at the end when Jeremy tries to turn the truck to quick, and it flips over right at the dock, and listening to Richard just lose it and almost die laughing is for me...the Ultimate Classic Top Gear. :cool:

Oh yeah, one of my favorite episodes. :)

The bit at the end when Jeremy tries to turn the truck to quick, and it flips over right at the dock, and listening to Richard just lose it and almost die laughing is for me...the Ultimate Classic Top Gear. :cool:

That plus everything that happened on the Norwegian ferry.

I think they still have it. Think about 15x07 (or USA christmas special this year), that was a great episode!

Of course they still have it. I don't doubt their abilities. I blame a lack of time and money and the desire to make Top Gear more compatible for a greater audience.

I've been thinking lately: Those classic Top Gear races, where Jeremy is in the car and Richard and James use other means of transport to race him to a certain destination. They have always been my favourites. But what could be the next one? I mean it's hard to think of something new, because they did trains, ship and airplanes already. What is still left there? Or should they simply repeat, what they already had done but simply vary the locations, like they did in Japan with the Nissan GT-R vs. bullet train race?

So what kind of transport could James and Richard use to challenge Jeremy in a car and where?

^ See the "next epic race .."-thread for more views on this very subject. I think however that as long as they have an interesting car and a beautiful/interesting/exotic and long enough route, those clips always have a chance of turning out great.

I just got finished reading this whole thread. I think you all make some great points. It's nice to see some other people out there feel as passionately about Top Gear as I have for years. I'm not going to go into a big discussion of my own opinions because I think many of you have already done a much better job of explaining exactly how I feel about the show.

I think the guys comments about Mexicans during the news (16x02) is a pretty good indication of where the show is currently at. I love poking fun and strong opinions/criticiscim as much as the next guy, but they went there. I can't remember the last time I saw such a blatantly racist act on TV. Maybe it's because I live in California, but I know nothing like that would ever air on American TV and if it somehow did, there would be a massive outrage (by more than just the specific ethnic group being discussed). I'm not really trying to make a big fuss about that one incident. I just think it's a great moment to use as a summary of the show as a whole lately.

I still can't understand how that was so offensive. You can see the same version of Jeremys mocking in a heap of old cartoons. A fat Mexican with a sombrero and a rag over his gut. Sleeping.

He did nothing more that speak the same thing. WORLD, Y U SO STUPID to condemn that.

And anyway...watch tonights episode and you'll see that they still have what it takes...

Leave it because there were a few goodies in that season. Just gotta keep an open mind and bear with the painful episodes.

It's boring now. The segments are good. But it is sooooo formulaic and predictable. Even the track tests are boring. They just say the car is amazing and film a bunch of drift scenes and then it's done. They haven't really bashed a car in a long time that I can remember. I want to see a critical (and witty) analysis of a car like they used to do.

Something needs to change. I don't care what it is. Anything is better than just staying the same over and over and over.