Killing Your Heart with Punisher Bass (56k go order pizza)

i would be shirking my responsibilities as geese and ducks don't roast themselves.

I've never had either, what do they taste like compared to turkey/chicken?

Also, I picked up pork steaks at the store over the weekend, so those should be up tonight.

As promised, St Louis specialty, pork steaks. If you haven't seen them in your area, don't worry. Just go to your butcher and ask for blade steaks or have them cut up a pork shoulder for you. The ones I have are not the best examples since they had a bit more fat than normal, but this is also why they were cheap.

There are several different ways to cook these. You can just grill them and then lather sauce on them, or once they are cooked you can simmer them in a combination of BBQ sauce and beer. I was pressed for time while making these since I had to keep running inside to work on the sides and there was a storm coming.

PS2.jpg

Hardware.
Large fork.
Meat mallet.
Cutting board.
OPTIONAL.
Tin foil.
Some sort of tray.
Brush

As I said, I was really pressed for time so I wasn't sure how I was going to tackle these. I didn't know if I'd be able to simmer them or just sauce them and run. So I was ready for both.

Software.

PS1.jpg

Pork steaks.
BBQ sauce.
1 Bottle of beer.

Begin by washing off and drying off each steak, lay it down on the cutting board and grab the meat mallet. This step is optional, it depends on how good the meat you bought is, but it doesn't hurt if it's a good or bad cut.

PS3.jpg

If desired, take the mallet and smash the shit out of it, then flip it over and do it again. It should look like this when you're done.

PS4.jpg

Throw them on the grill over medium high heat, remember keep the middle burner off because we're using indirect heat. It shouldn't take more than 15 minutes to be fully cooked, but it will depend on how thick the steaks were cut.

PS5.jpg

Close the lid and wait 5-7 minutes. Flip them over and wait another 5-7 or so. You might need to give each side a few minutes more depending on the size.

PS6.jpg

Now if you want to simmer them, you need something to hold them that won't be effected by the heat. I recommend a cheap small disposable tin pan from the grocery store, but I didn't have one on hand, so I grabbed the broiler pan from my oven.

Pour into the pan a 3 to 1 ratio of BBQ sauce and beer. Mix it up till it's almost like a slurry and then lay the steaks in here and make sure they are good and coated. Place the pan over the fire and leave it alone for 20-30 minutes. Remove from fire and enjoy.

PS7.jpg

PS8.jpg

Well keep in mind they are different cuts of meat, as I said the steak is cut from the shoulder and your picture is of a chop.

I've never had either, what do they taste like compared to turkey/chicken?

Also, I picked up pork steaks at the store over the weekend, so those should be up tonight.

similar to chicken i guess a bit more gamey (how the fuck do you spell gamier/gameier/gameyer/whatever) I like it and as an added bonus you get duck and goose fat which i swear to christ is worth it's weight in gold. best fat for frying potatos ever trust me it blows my mind

Well the Thanksgiving bash didn't go as smoothly as I had hoped it would. So I don't have pictures or recipes for anything at the moment.

As I said before it's normally a team effort but this year was different, back in the summer the retina in my mom's right eye detached and she's had 5 surgeries to try and fix it. She's currently down to just one good eye, so nearly all of the cooking fell to me this year. Everything was much more stressful and took much longer than it normally would have.

The turkey was the biggest ever at 23.53lbs and the lemons for the pies were absolutely pathetic. They were only slightly bigger than golf balls so I only had enough juice to make 2 pies instead of the normal 4.

To make up for this, in the near future I will cook a single turkey breast and make more pies and document the how-to's for you here. I will also post the recipes for the side dishes such as the green beans, sweet potatoes, dressing, gravy, and all that kind of stuff.

Also expect some cookie recipes and maybe a few pasta dishes before the year is out.

on the subject of rib sauce, i grew up in Cincinnati, which not only has taught me to appreciate the variety of ways pork and ribs can be served, but I got addicted to this:

9a7355b64b4f94276618679e.jpg

it's available in krogers grocery, among other places, and you can order it online.

yes, this is the same stuff that Bob Hope raves about. it's great on a variety of things, including my special little blend where i mix it 50/50 with BW-3s(Buffalo Wild Wings) Hot BBQ sauce. it has a wonderful cooling/heating effect on the palette. i encourage anyone to try it.

Agreed, Montgomery Inn's sauce is excellent (I lived in Cinci for a while)

Expect a new entry within the next few days. I picked up a small turkey and I'm currently waiting for it to thaw out so it can be cooked. It's nothing terribly complex, but I've seen plenty of people botch their first turkey on Thanksgiving morning.

I also hope to finally get both of my spaghetti recipes together for a dual entry in the near future.

EDIT: I totally forgot. I've got a couple of steaks waiting for me in the fridge. How about some steak n eggs for breakfast? Along with some toast and country potatoes. :D

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

EDIT 2: I forgot I also have croissants to make as well. What to make first...

Last edited:
As promised, the first new entry in months, I give to you the manliest breakfast in the world, Steak n Eggs.

SteakNEggs_1.jpg

Hardware.

1 cast iron frying pan.
1 cast iron skillet.
1 normal skillet.
1 sharp knife.
1 pair of tongs.
1 spatula.
1 large slotted spoon.

SteakNEggs_2.jpg

Software.

Steak, I'm using sirloin.
Eggs.
Potatoes.
Cooking oil.
Salt & pepper.

Start by filling the frying pan with a bit of oil and set it to medium high heat. While it's heating up wash and peel the potatoes. How many potatoes depends on how hungry you are and how big they are, I'm using two per person here. Once they are peeled slice them into little chunks and then carefully dump them into the hot oil.

SteakNEggs_3.jpg

SteakNEggs_4.jpg

If you don't have a splatter shield like I do, I highly recommend picking one up. Keep and eye on them and give them a stir every minute or so. Once they start to turn slightly brown, begin heating up the other cast iron skillet on medium high heat. Rinse the steak and pad it dry, then brush on a tiny bit of oil and give it a liberal coating of salt and pepper. Now is also a good time to get your eggs scrambled and set aside.

SteakNEggs_5.jpg

When your potatoes look like this, they are done. Scoop them out and place them over a paper towel so the oil can drain out. Sprinkle some salt and pepper on them and put them somewhere like the oven or microwave or somewhere warm.

SteakNEggs_6.jpg

Move the third skillet to to where the potatoes were, throw a little butter in the pan and pour the eggs in. Then throw the steak onto the cast iron skillet. I've gone over how to make eggs before, so I won't cover it again. Let the steak sit there for 2-4 minutes, it depends on how thick it is and how you like your meat done. When time is up flip it over and do the same thing.

SteakNEggs_7.jpg

SteakNEggs_8.jpg

The eggs will probably be done before the steak so set them aside wherever you stashed the potatoes.

SteakNEggs_9.jpg

While the second side is cooking, throw in some toast and everything will be ready and nice at hot at the same time.

SteakNEggs_10.jpg

Last edited:
No, I had about a third and left the rest for later.

yay! my kind of breakfast!!! w00t

except for the scrambled eggs, I prefer fried eggs, with the egg yolk cooked in the steak sauce that remains in the pan.

looks very delicious though!

edit - oh yeah, have you tried cooking steak in butter? I know it sounds unhealthy, but it tastes really nice.

Last edited:
Ugh. A guy who knows how to cook is after my heart :love:

So when will we tell our families about the wedding date. :wicked: :hump:

yay! my kind of breakfast!!! w00t

except for the scrambled eggs, I prefer fried eggs, with the egg yolk cooked in the steak sauce that remains in the pan.

looks very delicious though!

edit - oh yeah, have you tried cooking steak in butter? I know it sounds unhealthy, but it tastes really nice.

I can cook eggs almost any style, but I'll only eat them scrambled. And I thought about using a bit of butter and decided not to, with a pan that hot it would have started smoking before I got a chance to lay the meat down. But I might give it a try anyway with the second steak I have in the fridge.

You can not get the heat high enough with pure butter for a good cut of steak, two options:

1. Mix with a bit of oil (best is peanut) once the butter is melted and then whack up the heat, or
2. Let it smoke (Not burn) and it goes 'nutty' in flavour - just add the meat but keep a close eye on the pan - tricky though, burns easily. ...

Mushrooms - open cap for the win by the way - soak up any left over butter/oil.