Autoblog: Koenigsegg engineer building a Volvo P1800

Decrease the wheel well size a little bit, and put some 17" or 18" rims instead. That would be heaven.

Fantastic design, don't quite like the giant rims though and wonder if those A- and C- pillars hold up to a rollover?
Thinking like that is what has given us the lame-ass football shaped cars we have now. Personally I'd rather die rolling in this gorgeous P1800 than survive in a Camry. :lol:

Thinking like that is what has given us the lame-ass football shaped cars we have now. Personally I'd rather die rolling in this gorgeous P1800 than survive in a Camry. :lol:

I thought ugly cars were the result of pedestrian safety concerns and aerodynamic design for improved fuel economy. Cover the cars in spikes for all I care, but the frame should at least be functional.

Can't be much unsafer than a regular P1800. ;)

Not necessarily, a roll-cage can be installed with minimal impact on the overall shape of the car.

I thought ugly cars were the result of pedestrian safety concerns and aerodynamic design for improved fuel economy. Cover the cars in spikes for all I care, but the frame should at least be functional.
Pedestrian safety and aerodynamics are a big part of it. I won't even start on "pedestrian safety" influencing car design. But side-impact and rollover requirements are why we see so few true hardtops anymore, or cars with minimal roof pillars like the P1800. Cars without a nice big B-pillar generally don't do much of a job protecting the driver.

Not necessarily, a roll-cage can be installed with minimal impact on the overall shape of the car.
Certainly. I'm just talking about factory vehicles.

Wow :drool:. Tires, as stated already, are too big, but wow. The P1800 is one of my favorite cars, and this certainly retains the good looks of it. Hopefully the real thing won't be compromised too much from this rendering.

Pedestrian safety and aerodynamics are a big part of it. I won't even start on "pedestrian safety" influencing car design.

Tell me that again after you survive because you were hit by the more pedestrian-safe car. I could have been hit by either a Lada or a Renault 19, and I sure as hell am glad it was the Renault.

Tell me that again after you survive because you were hit by the more pedestrian-safe car. I could have been hit by either a Lada or a Renault 19, and I sure as hell am glad it was the Renault.
How much of a difference do you really think it made? I'd love to see some data on 'pedestrian safe' cars actually reducing injuries. Because when it comes down to it, you're still getting hit by a fucking car. It's not going to end well no matter what.

But hey, I just hate automotive regulations in general.

How much of a difference do you really think it made? I'd love to see some data on 'pedestrian safe' cars actually reducing injuries. Because when it comes down to it, you're still getting hit by a fucking car. It's not going to end well no matter what.

But hey, I just hate automotive regulations in general.

It happened exactly as crash experts say it does - I rolled over the hood, and then I rolled on the ground some more. The energy absorption happened gradually, hence no bones were broken.

The law of physics you're thinking of, and they want to avoid, only applies for infinitely hard and unbendable objects, which people aren't.

Last edited:
So, will they be making a P1800es? I'm just curious what chassis will underpin it. S40? S60? Ford Mustang? I would love to have something like this sitting in my driveway. Right next to the original, of course.

Why didn't he fit a Koenigsegg CCXR engine instead?

I like it.

Its only a rendering so i doubt that the wheels will be as big as the ones shown.

I want mine in dark blue.

Because that would just be silly.

Silliness drives the world. Why else would we have built concorde (Which is my favorite aircraft of all time)?