Kreuzberg/Ahrweiler flood relief - cars instead of cash!

Hm. I like the idea, but money is a bit tight at the moment.

But if you need anything driven from the Freiburg area to somewhere vaguely near Cologne, I should be able to do that in early August, probably the 5th. Got a domestic courier job to Freiburg on the 4th, need to get back home to NRW and my company probably won’t care if I put fuel instead of a train ticket on expenses.
Would be great, but I'm still not sure how to get the cars up there. Like, I don't really feel like registering 3 or 4 or 5 cars in my name for like 8-9 season plates which would end up costing like 150 per car ? but 5 day plates are also like 100 euros per car at least I think.

Would be great, but I'm still not sure how to get the cars up there. Like, I don't really feel like registering 3 or 4 or 5 cars in my name for like 8-9 season plates which would end up costing like 150 per car ? but 5 day plates are also like 100 euros per car at least I think.
This needs some traction with a car transportation company... donate a day's work, basically, to send a bunch of cars up using a car transport truck.

OK boys n girls, first automotive update:

Meet the first purchase: A 1999 Renault Twingo Liberty! Kilometers? Yes. Dings and scratches? But it looks surprisingly well underneath and it runs. TÜV just ran out, had no issues the last year and a half. I'll take it to have it looked through as soon as I can, since I also found a TÜV station that is willig to do pre-TÜV checks for free on the cars I bring in. Price? 150 EUR! :D

A video with it and other failed candidates will be online soon!

IMG_20210726_154753.jpg

Look at that cute face, I love it already. Looking forward to the video. There seems to be a common connection between small hatchbacks and slightly strange stickers. :p

Will see how this goes and may throw a bit more in the pot as it gains momentum. Especially if a little extra is needed to cover transportation, in whatever form that takes.

First update (video)!

“It did not go into 4 cylinder mode.” ?

what’s the deal with the Fit engine bay? There’s so much space in front like a 70s American land yacht.

Update: I found a place that's willing to lend me their temp plates for moving my cars around locally whenever they're available, for free! I should get a call tomorrow to pick them up so I can get the Twingo at least to the TÜV place, in an attempt to have it looked over on Monday. Then I need the plates again to move it to my garage next week. I will also attempt to get the others to the garage tomorrow if somehow possible.

I'm also waiting for some replies, I was stood up with an appointment today where the car was sold before I went there.. I've found a few maybe interesting options..

I'm most looking forward to hearing back from today's latest find, a car with a few month TÜV and allegedly nothing wrong where the owner passed away, and it's a bigger family car :). But I can only wait.. I hate waiting..

Oh, and I've been thinking about naming the cars.. But I'm not sure how to pick names or if I should let people pick, or bribe me to use a name.. ?

1627715874453.png

You, of course, reserve the right to make them pick something else in case they want to call the car the Wilhelm Gustloff or something.

The Twingo should totally be called the Bester Bruder though :p

Text updates for now, videos later:

Car #2 - 1997 Peugeot 106, 60PS, TÜV 12/22, it is still at the dealership, but I am unaware of any issues. Purchased for 450 EUR (was listed for 800). 175k km or thereabouts, looks pretty clean all around. Got new brakes for TÜV and some other things I don't recall right now.

IMG_20210726_192316.jpg

Car #3 - 1999 Opel Astra 2.0, 136PS, heated leather seats, cold AC, no TÜV, sitting on KW coilovers and has a fart can. Known issues (was checked on a lift by the dealer for TÜV reasons) include 1 broken front spring (depending on which one it is, KW sells them for 39/69 EUR) and a tie rod or something in that area. The headliner is sagging badly. Again bought for 450 EUR as is, was listed for 1000 with the things fixed and TÜV. 220-230k km, something in that neighborhood, had a timing belt job done not terribly long ago, should be fine for a while.

IMG_20210726_192336.jpg

Car #4 - 2002 Renault Laguna Grandtour, 1.6 16V 107PS, 164k km, cold AC, trailer hitch, nothing else. TÜV 3/22, a lot of scratches and some metal blemishes, but looks tidy underneath. Exact service history unknown right now, but 1 owner car who passed away earlier this year, been mostly sitting since. Whenever something came up, it was fixed, not more, not less. Saw an oil service sticker from 3kkm and 2 years ago. Listed for 500, purchased for 400 EUR.

laguna-ad.jpg

Last edited:
Laguna is probably perfect for this purpose. It's essentially worthless, but provides space, versatility and cool A/C.

- Laguna is at home, parkt around the corner. It is registered to the previous owner still, and I have this week to de-reg it.
- Twingo was moved from the seller to the TÜV place, I will attempt a pre-inspection tomorrow morning, if time permits
- Astra and 106 were delivered to the garage by the dealer
- Astra will be inspected by me soon to order a replacement spring from KW, and then taken to TÜV for pre-check

Solution for the TÜV inspector.

EAFD076C-7397-420B-A0A6-81280B6DF54D.jpeg

Car update:

The Twingo was inspected, and is rougher than hoped. Welding is required, and I'm considering reselling it for something easier to fix, but Beni and Joe both already have offered to help out with the welding part, and the job seems not too bad, even though the fuel tank needs to come out.

If it works out, I'll get the Twingo to the garage and the Astra to the inspection later today.

Support Update:

Liqui Moly will donate the fluids to service the cars! Yes, free oils! I sent an email to the press contact and got a reply wihtin 15 minutes, that they will gladly support the cause with the fluids I need!!

To say I am excited hardly does it justice! ?

Liqui Moly ftw! :D

Were they affected by the floods? The lubricant factory is in Saarlouis.

Do
Liqui Moly ftw! :D

Were they affected by the floods? The lubricant factory is in Saarlouis.
Don't know, didn't look into that. I also reached out to Mann filters, who declined, Hengst filters is next and still unanswered, and ZF for steering parts if I need them, who definitely were affected with their factory in Bad Neuenahr-Ahrweiler, but also still waiting for a response.

Do

Don't know, didn't look into that. I also reached out to Mann filters, who declined, Hengst filters is next and still unanswered, and ZF for steering parts if I need them, who definitely were affected with their factory in Bad Neuenahr-Ahrweiler, but also still waiting for a response.
Do you have a local Wix or Purolator rep?