L.A. Noire

While I'm not going to deny it's looks, I just can't get into the whole "noire" thing. I feel like it's become a snobby form of entertainment for people trying get into some self-important film festival. But, me not trying it would be unfair to the genre itself. I will give it a try.

Here's embedded version of the video. It really does look amazing, I'm betting this will be one of the highest rated games of 2011 by reviewers. Anyway, one thing I'm wondering about is how will the story line be affected given the fact (?) that you can fail a case by not approaching a witness from the right angle.

Why am I only finding out about this now? And why is it console only? :(.

I hope this is the game that Mafia II always should have been. I know you're playing a cop, not a gangster, but still - there are certain elements that will need to be spot on, particularly the music.

Here's embedded version of the video. It really does look amazing, I'm betting this will be one of the highest rated games of 2011 by reviewers. Anyway, one thing I'm wondering about is how will the story line be affected given the fact (?) that you can fail a case by not approaching a witness from the right angle.
I think you're right about the reviews, can't see it being anything less than brilliant. Regarding the story lines, if GTA IV was anything to go by I think you'll choose your fate in certain places (e.g. trusting the wrong person burns you later in the story etc.)

Looks amazing (esp. the facial animation) but I'm still a bit suspicious how all this solving cases stuff is going to blend in to the action. I'll wait for the first reviews before deciding whether to buy it or not.

When it comes to games and noir, I highly suggest Max Payne 1 and 2 for those who haven't played them. That's if you're not that picky about graphics and the fact that it's not your typical 40s-50s LA setting.

i am really bugged by the voice acting.

i know they are shooting for realsim but it seems like they just got random people off the street to read lines. they are so flat and lifeless. i expect more from Rockstar. the voice work in Red Dead Redemption was Amazing.

I hope this is the game that Mafia II always should have been. I know you're playing a cop, not a gangster, but still - there are certain elements that will need to be spot on, particularly the music.

I think you're right about the reviews, can't see it being anything less than brilliant. Regarding the story lines, if GTA IV was anything to go by I think you'll choose your fate in certain places (e.g. trusting the wrong person burns you later in the story etc.)

If nothing else, the ambiance of Mafia 2 was amazing. For a while I just walked everywhere and drove the speed limit, taking everything in. If this can match that level of detail while providing GTA IV levels of gameplay, it's exciting indeed.

My theory on this is that its a primarily single player game. With pirating games so easy now the only real reason to buy a game for a PC, other than moral correctness, is that its required to use multiplayer for most games.
Pirating games on consoles is considerably harder and much more inconvenient, so people with consoles and PCs are going to have to buy the game legally.

Rockstar seem to be becoming more and more console based which is a shame because its really is limiting when you are using set hardware. Still, this game is probably one of the few reasons I'll bother keeping my PS3, the other being Blu-Ray.

I hope you like it. If you're a fan of narrative, then clear some time in your schedule.
And yes, once you've been playing with that facial capture tech in a game for a while, it's hard to go back to other games. The faces in other games look like plates of jelly wobbling randomly by comparison. I should really try to post the new trailers here for pimping's sake.

I've yet to play Mafia II, but doesn't this seem quite similar? That's kind of the problem for me though, I've yet to play Mafia II... or The Ballad of Gay Tony. I just don't seem to have any time for video games recently.

For the record, Mafia II is nothing to do with R*, it's 2K developed (2K's parent company just publishes R* titles). Though you'd be forgiven for seeing more than a passing 'inspiration'.

If nothing else, the ambiance of Mafia 2 was amazing. For a while I just walked everywhere and drove the speed limit, taking everything in. If this can match that level of detail while providing GTA IV levels of gameplay, it's exciting indeed.
Oh absolutely, I completely agree. The music in particular was spot on, and the city itself looked amazing. This is what the first game (Mafia: City of Lost Heaven) did so well, and what made this new one the most anticipated releases I can remember. It's just a shame it played so averagely, especially compared to GTA IV :(.

I'm not sure Rockstar can create that ambient atmosphere that was present in both Mafia titles, but like you said, if they can it will be absolutely epic :thumbsup:.

captain_70's said:
Pirating games on consoles is considerably harder and much more inconvenient, so people with consoles and PCs are going to have to buy the game legally.

Rockstar seem to be becoming more and more console based which is a shame because its really is limiting when you are using set hardware.
I remember what a nightmare it was to get GTA IV running on PC, with all its glitches and bugs that also required constant patching, and then when you got it running you had 20fps <_<. I think you're right, and it is a shame they've turned their back on PC gamers, but that's what's happening now I guess... Just means I'll have to go buy a PS3 :p.

Oh absolutely, I completely agree. The music in particular was spot on, and the city itself looked amazing. This is what the first game (Mafia: City of Lost Heaven) did so well, and what made this new one the most anticipated releases I can remember. It's just a shame it played so averagely, especially compared to GTA IV :(.

I'm not sure Rockstar can create that ambient atmosphere that was present in both Mafia titles, but like you said, if they can it will be absolutely epic :thumbsup:.

I remember what a nightmare it was to get GTA IV running on PC, with all its glitches and bugs that also required constant patching, and then when you got it running you had 20fps <_<. I think you're right, and it is a shame they've turned their back on PC gamers, but that's what's happening now I guess... Just means I'll have to go buy a PS3 :p.

My only issue with GTAIV on PC was performance, and even then it wasn't too severe. I would call it unoptimized more than buggy. I don't think I ran into any serious glitches that weren't in the console versions.

I actually found the Mafia 2 gameplay to be pretty good as well, especially the driving. My biggest disappointment is that the game just ends when you run out of missions.

I actually found the Mafia 2 gameplay to be pretty good as well, especially the driving. My biggest disappointment is that the game just ends when you run out of missions.
The driving physics were pretty fun, but looking at the map don't you feel like there was extra side missions and stuff that were meant to be included but were left out? Like the Junkyard guy says "Come back and see me if you need work" but then he always says he's got nothing :|. Same thing with the Docks.

The game itself played fine, but like you said had no replay value. It would have, but I believe "Free Ride" was also removed in the last minute. I guess I was just disappointed that it wasn't quite as 'complete' as it should have been :(.

Great. Well that's one part of the game I won't see, because my money ain't going to GameStop.

I believe the general industry practise with "exclusive pre-order DLC" is that they're timed and get a general release after a period? I'm a PC gamer so I wouldn't know about that.

I hate that special pre-order bullshit. Especially at GameRape.

But... this game looks so fucking awesome. Every time I see a trailer I'm just blown away by the facial expression.

My worry is, it's not 100% Rockstar.

It's primarily developed by the Australian developer Bondi (The Getaway et al) with additional development (and publishing of course) from us at the various R* studios.

I don't know specifically what you worry may or may not be the case, but you should have no worries about quality.