• The development of any software program, including, but not limited to, training a machine learning or artificial intelligence (AI) system, is prohibited using the contents and materials on this website.

Lack of turbos in US cars.

Silverstar

Car(s)
'11 Impreza STI Sedan
I've been sitting around looking for information, and I am stumped so here it goes:

In Euro, there seems to be a huge market of cars w/ turbos, but in U.S. it seems to be a lack of? Indeed there is alot of imported cars that come to the U.S. w/ turbos, but it seems the market doesn't take advantages of applications of turbos as much as over in Europe (other than trucks).

I'm hoping this isn't a stupid question, but I'd love some insight on it!

Guessing the american manufactures market research have show that american people would rather have a big raw engine than a smaller 'smarter' one??

Like a 3.9 L OHV engine that makes 240 bhp....Yikes.

Is/was there perhaps legislation in europe that favoured small engine capacity, but didn't look at whether or not it had a turbo?

I think it's due to the fact that engine size is taxed in europe, whereas it is not in the united states. Also, we have a LOT more stricter emissions standards than europe. Turbos are harder to make legal according to CARB or federal emissions standards. Combined with the fact that the general public loves torque more than a unwieldy high revvy engine in order to pass someone on the freeway... I think that's where your answer is.

Gophermuncher said:
I think it's due to the fact that engine size is taxed in europe, whereas it is not in the united states. Also, we have a LOT more stricter emissions standards than europe. Turbos are harder to make legal according to CARB or federal emissions standards. Combined with the fact that the general public loves torque more than a unwieldy high revvy engine in order to pass someone on the freeway... I think that's where your answer is.
Bingo :)

Gophermuncher said:

I think you hit it on the head :D

Thanks for the replies, never thought of the CARB laws (even though I live in CA..lol). And the maintenance costs of cars w/ turbos (stock or otherwise).

Silverstar said:
Gophermuncher said:

I think you hit it on the head :D

Thanks for the replies, never thought of the CARB laws (even though I live in CA..lol). And the maintenance costs of cars w/ turbos (stock or otherwise).

Yeah, they're a bitch. Can't even install a CAI intake on your car unless it's CARB certified. I can see why, and even support it. Although it would be nice if, in a hypocritical fashion, my car would automatically pass inspection =P

Plus most of the Euro cars are turbo-diesels. If a car has a turbo in the U.S. it's most likely a performance car.

Turbos were a passing fad in the 80's for cars. F1 cars used them so it had a big appeal factor on road cars. It did offer more power at the cost of engine response. Power was also only available after the turbo spooled to full boost.

Today, they are still used to make power for engines limited in displacement--racing, car registration fees, etc. Some racing series has outlawed turbos or forced induction--Formula 1.

Turbos are used in diesels to lower emissions. I believe every single diesel truck is turbocharged now.

Americans like to make big huge engines. They rely on using little fuel and maximizing the use of long cylinder strokes to produce power. American engines has a LOT of torque with relatively low horsepower. This is because they use a longer stroke and use torque to generate horsepower. (Having a longer stroke won't allow the engine to rev high and produce higher hp numbers.) This is far from the Japanese and European concept of using smaller engines that are highly tuned. Of course, the vehicle registration is the same for any sized engine in the US.

I'd rather have a 6000 RPM engine over a 10k one anyway. Can't stand those tiny, whiny, high revving engines. Gotta keep the revs up to get anything outta them.

Meanwhile, you can drive down the freeway in a Viper with it idle IIRC. :lol:

Viper007Bond said:
I'd rather have a 6000 RPM engine over a 10k one anyway. Can't stand those tiny, whiny, high revving engines. Gotta keep the revs up to get anything outta them.

Meanwhile, you can drive down the freeway in a Viper with it idle IIRC. :lol:
Those tiny, revvy engines are just what you see from Japan. Take the new Audi RS4...8250 redline, 90% of maximum torque available from 2250 RPM to 7600 RPM. 420 HP, 317 lb-ft, AWD.

All this from a lightweight 4.2-litre V8.

Z Draci said:
Turbos were a passing fad in the 80's for cars. F1 cars used them so it had a big appeal factor on road cars. It did offer more power at the cost of engine response. Power was also only available after the turbo spooled to full boost.

Today, they are still used to make power for engines limited in displacement--racing, car registration fees, etc. Some racing series has outlawed turbos or forced induction--Formula 1.

Turbos are used in diesels to lower emissions. I believe every single diesel truck is turbocharged now.

Americans like to make big huge engines. They rely on using little fuel and maximizing the use of long cylinder strokes to produce power. American engines has a LOT of torque with relatively low horsepower. This is because they use a longer stroke and use torque to generate horsepower. (Having a longer stroke won't allow the engine to rev high and produce higher hp numbers.) This is far from the Japanese and European concept of using smaller engines that are highly tuned. Of course, the vehicle registration is the same for any sized engine in the US.

All engines require torque to produce horsepower.

As it has been said though... I agree with people and their love for a large displacement V8 that turns over at 1600rpm while cruising down the freeway and still has massive pulling power for over taking without having to rev the shit out of it.

It's because American cars are s#!+ and their engineers are scared of technology and quality.

flyingfridge said:
It's because American cars are s#!+ and their engineers are scared of technology and quality.

Anyways, don't turbos require premium grade fuel?

flyingfridge said:

That is one helluva statement. I am not an American car fan boy by any means but the aforementioned quote makes no sense. Can someone remind me how many Australian car companies are owned by Australian companies? Last I checked, Holden, builder of the famed Monaro was owned by GM.

ESPNSTI said:
Is/was there perhaps legislation in europe that favoured small engine capacity, but didn't look at whether or not it had a turbo?

At least in Germany it is... You pay sort of per cubic capacity and via Emission Class (Euro 1 - 5, 5 is yet to come nextr year, but some cars already comply to it...) So a small engine with a little turbo maybe way cheaper if its emission complient...

My guess: Since the emission classes are called "EURO" I guess it is similar to the whole of Europe...
Buba

FATMOUSE said:
flyingfridge said:

Anyways, don't turbos require premium grade fuel?

not necessarily - depends on the resulting compression ratio. but you're somewhat right - due to the higher 'effective' compression in a turbo motor, there's more likely to be a need for premium fuel.

i wish my car had a turbo :cry: ohh well it will be on soon enough. ka-t bitch :evil:

HuevosRancheros said:
flyingfridge said:

That is one helluva statement. I am not an American car fan boy by any means but the aforementioned quote makes no sense. Can someone remind me how many Australian car companies are owned by Australian companies? Last I checked, Holden, builder of the famed Monaro was owned by GM.

Whats your point mate...

They may be american owned companies but we Australian's design better cars.

Holden is the crown jewel of GM. Making stupid amounts of profit when every other GM company is going down the shitter because Holden design and build better cars...

Ford Australia (I can't believe I am going to say this) is making cars that shit all over every american made sedan. I'd love to see a Taurus go up against a XT Falcon... haha it would be a no brainer.