Ownership Verified: Lancer of DOOM!

Added more pictures to the first post. :) Now for the "I'm attempting to be slightly artsy with a standard point-and-shoot camera" shots:

Atop the "Garage Mahal" at school, overlooking Baylor and Waco:
37941_791597614963_9200715_42354521_4902295_n.jpg

33648_791590763693_9200715_42354327_3702304_n.jpg

In Cameron Park:
62938_791599780623_9200715_42354579_6178832_n.jpg

46287_791599730723_9200715_42354576_2505678_n.jpg

33841_791606357443_9200715_42354761_3987364_n.jpg

It likes other big red things, too. :)

Out in the middle of nowhere:
39515_791607859433_9200715_42354795_5182328_n.jpg

Moooooooooooo!

33779_791612674783_9200715_42354931_1915294_n.jpg

63815_791620059983_9200715_42355171_5426061_n.jpg

33486_791622574943_9200715_42355236_3524433_n.jpg

62833_791625134813_9200715_42355394_132002_n.jpg

Out in the middle of nowhere:
39515_791607859433_9200715_42354795_5182328_n.jpg

Moooooooooooo!

33779_791612674783_9200715_42354931_1915294_n.jpg
This is very intersting behavoir from this Automobile, the way it?s turning it?s wheels away from the field tells us that it doesn?t want to go offroad and feels more at home on firm ground. This might be a bit of a stretch, but I dare say it looks a bit disgusted at the grass. You might want to keep it tarmac, and then it?ll be a loyal companion.

If it starts wetting your garage floor, give me a ring, it?s 555-Dog-Car-psychiatrist. I can get to the root of your Cars depression.

TAMSCC has a LeMons class?! WHERE WAS THIS WHEN I WAS RUNNING THE FAILTIMA?!

There's a lot of overlap between Spokes and SASCA, isn't there? I might actually know people at the SA one, then.

- must think about it

Oh, and because I keep forgetting to call foul on this:

How on earth is this car in HS when the stupid Failtima gets stuck in GS?!

Now, I don't want back in GS. HS is a happy place. Yayyy H-stock. But...COME ON. There is no way that dumb giant puffball sedan with its "I'm on a boat" suspension and only 7 more hp than the dang Lancer GTS (...on a good day when things work......which isn't typical for that car) belongs in dadgummed GS. The only possible explanation I can think of for putting it there would be that the SCCA hates it as much as I do.

ETA: Noooooooooo!!! Spokes is cancelled this month. :( Guess I'll see you on the 10th, then?

Yeah SPOKES/SASCA are almost the same people.

As for the failtima being GS. It is a combination of things. First GS has gotten much faster since they classed a bunch of the cars (blame the mini) and secondly SCCA tends to class rarely run cars in the higher of two classes if they are not sure which it could be in. It tends to prevent random cars being too fast for their class. It also makes them really slow, but as they are not run often they view it as a net gain. Things they think people will actually run much more thought goes into it and they tend to be classed appropriately. Though it should be noted than many cars end up in odd places because of either random option packs or the potential to be really fast if the racers actually put shocks/sways/race tires.

Last edited:
Giant answer post (of doom)

Giant answer post (of doom)

(I hope, or should we offer our condolences because your parents managed to find something even crappier?)
This...almost happened. My parents were dead-set on an American car at first and had narrowed the list down to a Cobalt and a Focus without bothering to look into what I thought of either one. I...wasn't happy about that. I'd driven a friend's Focus before and found it pretty awkward to sit in, and I got a G5 (Pontiac's Cobalt in a party dress) as a rental when they totalled my Grand Am and it wasn't so great, either. The two-door Cobalts had massive blind spots in the back where the roof swoops down and the four-doors looked like the backseat was an afterthought. The less I like a car, the more I care about silly things like seats and blind spots. There wasn't anything particularly attractive about either of those, so the little things were deal-breakers, man. Did not want.

Much whining later, I talked them into looking into Mazda3s ("they're sorta-kinda connected to Ford and I actually like those!"). There was a Mazda3 hatch I really liked, but it was used and my mom really, really wanted a new car with a massive warranty attached to it. (We're all sick of my car being in the shop all the time.)

We stopped in at the Subaru dealership because we'd seen a blue WRX in traffic and all sort of liked it (!), but sadly, there wasn't a single Impreza on the lot. :( But there were a bunch of Lancers that I liked. "That one looks angry. Want." :)

The other thing I kinda liked from the day was the Fiesta, but dadgummit if it didn't have the same awkward manual seat adjustment system I didn't like from the Focus. Worse, the bottom of the seat was flat like a barstool, while the top had big bolsters that stuck out of the sides. Awwwwkward. Both of the ones in town were sedans (boo--the trunk looks awkward on that car and I had learned to love deal with the cargo shelves by now) and in rather sedate colors (I much prefered the radioactive booger green on the brochure). I would love to do devious, terrible, hoontacular things to that little car, but not with that seat in it. :yucky: By that point in the day, I was pretty set on the Lancer anyway because it had everything I wanted AND comfy-enough seats.

Your name looks so much like "ninjacoco" that you've probably fooled a few people just by posting in this thread.
There's good reason I go by "coco" in IRC :)

Nice car coco (allthough no stick booo) :p
Don't ruin it......and as well, Adu started off with a red Mitsubishi too - and he owns his second Mercedes by now :p
My parents wouldn't let me get a stick. :cry: I was totally up for stalling my little brains out, but...no could do.

Oh, well. I can always play with other peoples' sticks! (Wait, that didn't come out right...)
Nice Pommestheke :lol:
What's a Pommestheke? Candy apple? Poison apple? Apple con queso? Apple Finland?

Pls. advise.
Also, all fail is covered by warranty :)
I hope the vast majority of it is. At least if it turns out to be Nightmare on QR Street 2, I'd hope that they'd take care of that crap so I don't have another self-destructing engine under my hood. I hear these warranty things are kind of like "don't ask, don't tell" when it comes to certain kinds of fail, though.

[video=youtube;1NV2w-vqd7c]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NV2w-vqd7c[/video]
Congrats on the new car, coco! One question though: Can you see anything other than the spoiler through the rear view mirror? :D
I have a nice view chopped in half by a big, huge red wing. It's pretty much a constant reminder that I'll be brutally violated by every small town Buford T. Justice with the usual grudge against twentysomethings should I get caught misbehaving.

:hmm:

This must be why Mom let me get the red one with the giant wing.

edit: d'oh! Ok its not the same exact Lancer, my cousin has the touchscreen sat-nav (which almost never gets used). Nevertheless, congratulations! I hope you love it.
Ah...they had one of those on the lot, but I figured I'd rarely (if ever) use it, I'd get confused by it if I did try to use it, and it'd just be one more thing that could break.

After one too many bad experiences with Google's directions, I think I'm going to go old-school and whip out the paper map the next time I have to figure out how to go somewhere. Post-it navigation FTW!
Hmm, does it have a break in period?
It...did. I decided to take care of as many errands that I'd been putting off as possible right after I got it and that worked! I got things done AND got the "be slow and careful" period over with! w00t.
Ugly resizing is ugly :cry:
Blame stupidbook. :( Here's the full-size version: https://pic.armedcats.net/n/ni/ninjacoco/2010/10/04/DSC00910_ed.JPG

I wish that stupid power line wasn't there.

Last edited:
What's a Pommestheke? Candy apple? Poison apple? Apple con queso? Apple Finland?

Pls. advise.

Pommes = Pommes frites = french fries. Theke = bar.

Ridiculously huge, flat rear spoilers are colloquially called Pommestheke over here, because their main use is to have a place for your fries while you hang around with your buddies. Consult http://www.google.com/images?q=pommestheke for examples :lol:

I wish that stupid power line wasn't there.

Pommes = Pommes frites = french fries. Theke = bar.

Ridiculously huge, flat rear spoilers are colloquially called Pommestheke over here, because their main use is to have a place for your fries while you hang around with your buddies. Consult http://www.google.com/images?q=pommestheke for examples :lol:

DAMN YOU I JUST FINISHED DOING THAT KDHLKAJHDFK :cry:

Holy crap, that's awesome. I need to break down and get a real photo editor. :/

Oh, Google Images...
41PorscheDamn9.jpg

I like what's attached to this Pommestheke. :) I don't think I'd want to get mayo on it, though.

Last edited:
Your photos look good. :) *thumbs up* Good thing you didn't get the Focus, as you'd probably be kicking yourself seeing the new car and what not... :p

Your photos look good. :) *thumbs up* Good thing you didn't get the Focus, as you'd probably be kicking yourself seeing the new car and what not... :p
Seriously. The new one sounds like a MAJOR improvement over this year's model.

Now if Ford would just fix their seats...the Mitsu has the same silly pump up and down mechanism, but it feels like it's pushing the whole thing upwards instead of just the back of the seat. When I tried getting the Focus and Fiesta's seats up to coco-drives-all-up-on-the-wheel-like-a-granny position, it felt like it was trying to flop me out of the seat. :(

Just don't let anyone else drive your car, then manual or electric seats is irrelevant.

Seriously. The new one sounds like a MAJOR improvement over this year's model.

Now if Ford would just fix their seats...the Mitsu has the same silly pump up and down mechanism, but it feels like it's pushing the whole thing upwards instead of just the back of the seat. When I tried getting the Focus and Fiesta's seats up to coco-drives-all-up-on-the-wheel-like-a-granny position, it felt like it was trying to flop me out of the seat. :(

The best height adjusters I've found are the "dual-knob" variety that allows you to adjust both the front and rear of the seat independantly. My parents Sportage had it but now, just a few years later, I'm hardpressed to find any car that doesn't either have just one knob (that usually tilts the back of the seat awkwardly....) or uses a pump style lever in a way similar to the Ford products.

Wow, the new Lancers are all proper and greet you goodbye when you turn off the car. Ridiculous. =o

Well that looks quite nice, it seems like you like it even though you looked at a lot of other cars too. I imagine that 2.4L engine is quite good enough for what you do. I'm just glad they stopped putting in the anemic engines (1.6 and 1.8) in the later models, they are just miserable. (I still need to post about all the ridiculous stuff about mine. >.< I need pictures though.)

The thing is, is that I wonder if they've improved their non-power seats? Do they still use the notch adjusting system that only gives you like 5 or 6 options for distance from the pedals that are like 2"+ inches apart or is it a lot better? (I drive cross-legged because of how close I have to sit to reach the pedals which I know is dangerous, but it's the only way how I can fit in my car sadly.)

Still, WAYYYYYYYY better than my gross old Mirage. I'm glad Mitsubishi has at least upped the quality of the cars since the mid 90s up to 2006.

Very nice choice, coco. Congrats!

The thing is, is that I wonder if they've improved their non-power seats? Do they still use the notch adjusting system that only gives you like 5 or 6 options for distance from the pedals that are like 2"+ inches apart or is it a lot better? (I drive cross-legged because of how close I have to sit to reach the pedals which I know is dangerous, but it's the only way how I can fit in my car sadly.)
Eek! Either they improved the seats or one of the options was exactly how I wanted it, because I haven't noticed that issue. I typically set up my seat and then leave it 'til someone changes it, then whine about how someone changed it. :p

Last edited:
Hm, well I dunno, maybe you are of "normal" proportions. My dad had to sit up way close in his failcipse too. I haven't had the issue in any other cars with manual seats though so that's why it's so mystifying. I fit just fine in my Grandmother's old Camry she's selling to my Dad and I fit fine when I adjust my Boyfriend's Forester seat.

But my seat doesn't really give a lot of options too though. You either sit where they let you or else!

Does your car greet you when you turn it on too?

Nope--no greeting when I turn my car on.

My proportions are "short." 5'4", and I think I sit a little closer to the wheel than a lot of people on top of that.

For some reason, when I saw the thread title, I read it as "Lancia of Doom"

Got really confused when it was a Lancer.

Nice looking car through!

I just realized you have a new car! (the new avatar really gave me a hint. The failtima wasn't that red).

Congratulations. Very nice car!

Needs more Rally Armour UR flaps :p