Laptop downloads faster than Desktop. Why?

I've just downloaded their 15Mb file through a 100Mbps line in Germany, got 212Kb/s - pretty similar to your rapidshare speeds. Both directions, rapidshare to you and ozspeedtest to me, are limited by the intercontinental connection. Your local speed looks fine to me.
Sure, there seems to be a speed difference between the laptop and the desktop, but both are pulling significantly more than the 150Kb/s you initially got from rapidshare.

My point is, both your computers are able to do a couple of Mbps. Their hardware (network chipset, drivers, hard disks, etc) and their software (antivirus, firewall, yada yada yada) as well as your modem and the rest of your network can do a couple of Mbps. There's no logical reason why your desktop should reduce the trickling of data through the long-distance network from rapidshare even more, we've seen it is capable of a lot more.

Well, speed test from www.ozspeedtest.com a well known site in Australia

7.86mbps from the laptop
4.47 Mbps from the desktop.

WHAT IS THIS?!?!

How are you connected to the modem/router with your pc's?
AND
Is your modem/router configured to let the laptop have more speed from the net?
I mean if its connected via wlan and your modem/router is isp-designed to be wlan 1st lan 2nd, it will throttle the speeds for your pc.

Ok, I have a Motorola SB4101 Cable Modem, I have a Belkin F5D7230-4 .

The desktop is connected through the a wired network through the router
The laptop is connected through a wireless network.

How do I know if my modem/router is configured to let the laptop have more speed?

1. from QoS -menu (if there's any) there should be some sort of Device priority.
2. Other way is to disable wlan, and hook your laptop to lan, then do the tests (reason is that wlan uses too much resorces of the modem/router).

So try them :p

ps. I had zyxel prestige as a wlan + lan and it needed to restart every 12hours because of wlan.
Now i use old a-link modem + linksys wrt54GL-EU, no lags!

Last edited:
I tried connecting the laptop, with VISTA, to my network, but I couldn't get the settings right.
I looked up a QoS menu on google, and found theres not one for my router.

You spent so much time figuring differences with no real-world meaning out you could have used for something better....

....watching Top Gear! :p

I tried connecting the laptop, with VISTA, to my network, but I couldn't get the settings right.
I looked up a QoS menu on google, and found theres not one for my router.

erm it didn't get ip automaticly ?
do you have to use static ip's on all pcs'n'laptops?

Nope, i plugged it in while it was off, switched it on, changed the settings so it would gp through the cable not the wifi and i got nothing

Nope, i plugged it in while it was off, switched it on, changed the settings so it would gp through the cable not the wifi and i got nothing

eh you just need to put your laptops wlan in off-mode and then plug lan-cable in.
With that i should be like every other pc.

so like this.

Code:
laptop -> router's lanport -> modem.

not directly into the modem.

Yeah, I know, tried that and it didn't work for me. It says it connected to the network, but not connected to the internet.

I once again find myself agreeing with narf. You may well have gotten a slow server on your desktop. Try downloading something from http://mirrors.kernel.org/ to check. They have more bandwidth than you can hope to saturate, and plenty of power to push it out the tubes to you.

Can't saturate my server.

Code:
@carrot-orange:~$ wget ftp://mirrors.kernel.org/debian-cd/5.0.2-live/amd64/iso-cd/debian-live-502-amd64-gnome-desktop.iso
--2009-10-08 06:54:07--  ftp://mirrors.kernel.org/debian-cd/5.0.2-live/amd64/iso-cd/debian-live-502-amd64-gnome-desktop.iso
           => `debian-live-502-amd64-gnome-desktop.iso'
Resolving mirrors.kernel.org... 130.239.17.6, 199.6.1.174
Connecting to mirrors.kernel.org|130.239.17.6|:21... connected.
Logging in as anonymous ... Logged in!
==> SYST ... done.    ==> PWD ... done.
==> TYPE I ... done.  ==> CWD /debian-cd/5.0.2-live/amd64/iso-cd ... done.
==> SIZE debian-live-502-amd64-gnome-desktop.iso ... 716247040
==> PASV ... done.    ==> RETR debian-live-502-amd64-gnome-desktop.iso ... done.
Length: 716247040 (683M)

100%[======================================>] 716,247,040 8.55M/s   in 78s

2009-10-08 06:55:26 [b][size=4](8.71 MB/s)[/size][/b] - `debian-live-502-amd64-gnome-desktop.iso' saved [716247040]

@carrot-orange:~$

Code:
@carrot-orange:~$ wget ftp://ftp.ovh.net/test.bin
--2009-10-08 06:56:07--  ftp://ftp.ovh.net/test.bin
           => `test.bin.1'
Resolving ftp.ovh.net... 213.186.33.9
Connecting to ftp.ovh.net|213.186.33.9|:21... connected.
Logging in as anonymous ... Logged in!
==> SYST ... done.    ==> PWD ... done.
==> TYPE I ... done.  ==> CWD not needed.
==> SIZE test.bin ... 104857600
==> PASV ... done.    ==> RETR test.bin ... done.
Length: 104857600 (100M)

100%[======================================>] 104,857,600 11.0M/s   in 9.0s

2009-10-08 06:56:16 [b][size=4](11.1 MB/s)[/size][/b] - `test.bin.1' saved [104857600]

@carrot-orange:~$

Last edited:
Well sure, but that's not exactly a normal user's connection, now is it?