Laptop for christmas

Average Guy

was previously known as "Small Guy" and soon to be
Car(s)
2015 VW Polo 1.2 TSI
Heey! :)

I was just about to buy a macbook. But then windows 7 came (as a big improbement to Vista) and I could get a allot cheaper and allot faster laptop if bought a PC.

So now I have been looking for a PC with the maximum cost of $800. (A laptop in US for $800 is about the same as a laptop in denmark for $1000)

The laptop I'm leaning towards in the moment is the HP Pavilion dv6.

heres a link with the specs:
HP Pavilion dv6 Specs
(I know the website is on danish but I dont think the the specs in the uk and us are the same as in dk. The specs sould be spelled about the same as in all other laguges. It doesent say its DDR3 RAM but im pretty sure it is.)

Is this the right choice or is there something better?

:)

Last edited:
The point doesn't seem to be to run Windows but to save money/get a better deal.

That HP seems a little expensive for what it is, then again, who knows how prices differ over there. My only worry would be battery life; historically AMD isn't too good at that. How big is the screen?

That HP seems a little expensive for what it is, then again, who knows how prices differ over there. My only worry would be battery life; historically AMD isn't too good at that. How big is the screen?

15,6''.
After searching on Newegg I found the same laptop costs $800 tho it costs $1000 in Denmark. Sometimes I really hate Denmark <_<

Edit: The price limit in the first post has been changed from $1000 to $800

Last edited:
Get a Lenovo ThinkPad - they are the only PC laptops that can match Apple in terms of build quality.

Get a Lenovo ThinkPad - they are the only PC laptops that can match Apple in terms of build quality.

I knew someone would say that and I was actually offered one EXTREMELY cheap. BUT.... I just can't be seen with one of those :|

Yes yes, I know I'm stupid but I just can't.
It's like your granddads backpack for school.
(and it was XP :p)

How about a Latitude, specifically the E6400 or E6500. I have a D630 and have been extremely pleased with it. Latitude's might not be as sturdy as ThinkPad's but come pretty darn close. You also get a killer warranty too. (3 years)

Last edited:
How about a Latitude, specifically the E6400 or E6500. I have a D630 and have been extremely pleased with it. Latitude's might not be as sturdy as ThinkPad's but come pretty darn close. You also get a killer warranty too. (3 years)

I don't think they are sold where I live :S

I knew someone would say that and I was actually offered one EXTREMELY cheap. BUT.... I just can't be seen with one of those :|

I know being fifteen can be tough, but still - get one, it's cooler in the long run!

Last edited:
Im not sure why :D

Cause it will still be in good nick when any "cooler" product has broken down, thus saving you precious money to spend on girls, beer, your driver's license and so on.

Cause it will still be in good nick when any "cooler" product has broken down, thus saving you precious money to spend on girls, beer, your driver's license and so on.

Well there is the fact that I don't drink because Im an elite sportsman and the other fact that you have to be 18 to have a driver's license in Denmark. So with the money from those two things I can afford to buy a new cool one when the first one breaks! :D

:lol:

Edit: This is getting a little off topic now :p

Last edited:
Listen to that good wise man, because he knows what he is talking about. The IBM and Lenovo Thinkpads I have used are unstoppable and hard to break. I had a really bad drop happen to an open SL series laptop from a high table and it survived with only screen and case damage -everything was usable. I can only imagine how well a T-series would have been with the same devastating fall. The performance is superior, no bloatware, no crappy plastic, innovative features, no new OS to learn, and best of all its not a Dell or a Mac.

If you want to be cool you don't buy what everyone thinks is cool; You buy what they think is crap and make a name for it. Who is remembered more: Babe Ruth, who everyone knows or anyone of the guys after him? You can't be first in this cool category so go for the underdog.

Try and go for a T-series with Windows Xp.

Listen to that good wise man, because he knows what he is talking about. The IBM and Lenovo Thinkpads I have used are unstoppable and hard to break. I had a really bad drop happen to an open SL series laptop from a high table and it survived with only screen and case damage -everything was usable. I can only imagine how well a T-series would have been with the same devastating fall. The performance is superior, no bloatware, no crappy plastic, innovative features, no new OS to learn, and best of all its not a Dell or a Mac.

If you want to be cool you don't buy what everyone thinks is cool; You buy what they think is crap and make a name for it. Who is remembered more: Babe Ruth, who everyone knows or anyone of the guys after him? You can't be first in this cool category so go for the underdog.

Try and go for a T-series with Windows Xp.

Well, it's not really to be cool. I just really HATE the thinkpads. It's not only because of what other people think about me. It's also because I would think the same.

And btw. I bought the DV6. But with the 4650 graphics.
Now I just have to wait for the 24th to have it :|

Well there is the fact that I don't drink because Im an elite sportsman and the other fact that you have to be 18 to have a driver's license in Denmark. So with the money from those two things I can afford to buy a new cool one when the first one breaks! :D
:lol:
Edit: This is getting a little off topic now :p

Elite sportsman hmm....well then you'll need something that's good enough to be seen with at the local Starbucks but not anything like an alienware or you branch into nerd territory, so a fashion notebook with a bit of kick. Try these,

- Sony Vaio X/SR/Z/CW
- Dell Studio XPS 13/adamo
- HP Envy 13/ dm3/whatever
- Voodoo Envy 133

EDIT: Too late; but might be useful to someone else

That somehow isn't working for me but I still go by that. That's why I'm android and not iphone.

Last edited:
That somehow isn't working for me but I still go by that. That's why I'm android and not iphone.

Timing is everything with being cool.... I should know, I'm not cool and bad at timing things correctly. Iphone crazy will die down then there will be the next overly-hyped thing; You just need to figure it out before everyone else does.

Android FTW!

I have a Hero :D

When it comes to cheap laptops I always stick to dell, the newest Inspirons are pretty solid machines for the money. I've not been impressed with HP or Lenovo quality in their budget offerings although you can't expect a huge amount from these budget machines.

The latitudes are nice but come at a premium, if possible visit a store and try some of the machines you're interested in out first - I'm not sure how things are in Denmark but the big electronics retailers in the UK carry most brands and give you a chance to try them out, I'd never buy from one since you can always find a better deal online but they're good for getting a feel of the build quality, weight etc.

Get as fast a CPU and as much ram as you can of course but don't be tempted to buy a more wobbly/creaky feeling machine for the sake of a slightly better CPU etc. If you can find a machine with a dedicated graphics chipset, all the better - if you're not a huge gamer then the Intel integrated chipsets are fine, the few games I play are old and run just fine with the latest gen of intel graphics.

Remember ram is currently quite cheap, you might be able to save a small amount by buying a machine with less and then upgrading it yourself. 4GB of ram and a 2+GHz Core 2 Duo is a good spec to aim for with a Windows 7 machine though.

Last edited:

I can do you one better: (or worse, most likely, since its the red headed stepchild of the mobile OS wars...:p) I use Windows Mobile! :lol: