Laptop randomly freezes under Win XP

Psirus

Hello,
I have an old Acer Aspire 3000 laptop that I don't really use much.
Now it is supposed to be used again, so I went on to install WinXP.
It installed fine, and then I also updated it to SP2 and then SP3.
Now, however, when it is done booting, it immediately freezes, so you can't use the touchpad or the keyboard. Even the power button, which I thought was sort of hardwired to turn the power of if you hold it for a couple of seconds, doesn't work.
I decided install Win again, since I didn't install much else, so it wasn't such a big deal.
The first time it froze on me during the install, the next install try was succesfull, but now it freezes again once it is done booting.
Any Ideas?
mfg
Psirus

Dude, you have an unhealthy relationship with your enter key.

Seriously, though, freezing can be any of a million things. Try Memtest86+.

Hardware issue. Try taking one of the memory modules out and see if it made a difference. If not put the other one in and take the first one out and try again

CPU could be overheating/having problems. I've had that with one of my machines.

Download Ubuntu and burn it to a CD, run memtest from the CD for a day or so. Boot the Live CD and play around with it for a few hours, see if anything bad happens.

Not an expert, but that sounds like a driver issue then. Don't personally know how you would fix it short of formatting C and trying a new installation, so I'll let the experts correct me :lol:

Don't personally know how you would fix it short of formatting C and trying a new installation, so I'll let the experts correct me :lol:
You could try getting updated versions of all your drivers (focus especially on chipset and graphics drivers), but formatting and reinstalling with a customized slipstreamed xp install containing your drivers pre-bundled may be the only way.