• The development of any software program, including, but not limited to, training a machine learning or artificial intelligence (AI) system, is prohibited using the contents and materials on this website.

laptops and xray machines

MixtriX

Melbourne, Australia (originally from London, UK)
hey guys,

im gonna be flying to malaysia then onwards to the UK next week, and i want to take my laptop with me. im just concerned that the xray machine might damage it.

can anyone reassure me that my laptop will not be harmed?

thanks

Google is your friend: http://www.google.com/search?q=laptop+xray

3) Should You X-Ray Your Laptop?
Letting your laptop go through the x-ray equipment will not harm your laptop. The magnetic field which is generated is not enough to cause harm to your hard drive or cause damage to your data. Metal detectors on the other hand, can cause damage and request politely that Security/Customs do not use the metal detector but do a hand check instead.

I had the same concern when I took a laptop + external H/D to Singapore in July. On the return from Singapore to Sydney, the worst happened. SOMETHING gave my mums laptop a mobo problem and SOMETHING erased everything on my 250GB external (luckily most of it was backed up).

It happened between checking out of our hotel in the morning and arriving in Sydney later that day. Could have been anything but I think it was the x-ray thingy.

We had lots of them at our hotel because it was during the IOC conference (after London was given the Olympics) and security was high for all the important people who were staying in our hotel. I think that it was the xray thingy that did it. What else could have caused these problems?

Sorry man, but I rekon you should get like a hard-case or something to store ur lappy.

SL65AMG~V12~604BHP!!!!!!! said:
I had the same concern when I took a laptop + external H/D to Singapore in July. On the return from Singapore to Sydney, the worst happened. SOMETHING gave my mums laptop a mobo problem and SOMETHING erased everything on my 250GB external (luckily most of it was backed up).

It happened between checking out of our hotel in the morning and arriving in Sydney later that day. Could have been anything but I think it was the x-ray thingy.

We had lots of them at our hotel because it was during the IOC conference (after London was given the Olympics) and security was high for all the important people who were staying in our hotel. I think that it was the xray thingy that did it. What else could have caused these problems?

Sorry man, but I rekon you should get like a hard-case or something to store ur lappy.

Or the hotel had metal detectors, and you walked through them (knowingly or not). I've carried laptops on flights for years, and have had NO problems with hard drives being erased or any other problems. The most I have ever had to do is turn it on for the security person at the security checkpoint.

Metal Detectors on the other hand use a strong magnetic field, and when that magnetic field is disturbed by metal, it sounds the alarm. That strong magnetic field has the capability of destroying data. I'd be careful about blaming the xray machine, as they typically don't use strong magnetic fields, plus a hard case won't keep magnetic fields out. The best you can hope for is a faraday cage in a box (i.e. a case with a fine copper mesh around the box), only problem with that is that security then would have a number of questions for you, and probably detain you for a further investigation.

I also would blame the metal detector rather than the X-ray machine, I have done a lot of flights with a laptop and nothing ever happened.
Normally X-rays are fine, but as they have the ability to ionise there is always a chance that something could happen, but I would doubt that you will suffer.

hokiethang said:
SL65AMG~V12~604BHP!!!!!!! said:

Or the hotel had metal detectors, and you walked through them (knowingly or not). I've carried laptops on flights for years, and have had NO problems with hard drives being erased or any other problems. The most I have ever had to do is turn it on for the security person at the security checkpoint.

Metal Detectors on the other hand use a strong magnetic field, and when that magnetic field is disturbed by metal, it sounds the alarm. That strong magnetic field has the capability of destroying data. I'd be careful about blaming the xray machine, as they typically don't use strong magnetic fields, plus a hard case won't keep magnetic fields out. The best you can hope for is a faraday cage in a box (i.e. a case with a fine copper mesh around the box), only problem with that is that security then would have a number of questions for you, and probably detain you for a further investigation.
Yeh it was probly the metal detectors. I wasn't thinking last night thus why I called them "thingy's".

So Mitrix should be fine then with the xray mechines, just not metal detectors if for some reason he has to go through one.

Well you have to go through one, but you normally send your bags through the X-ray machine at that time ;)

I too confirm nothing will happen because of the xray. They also put very often signs telling that the xray machine being used will not damage electronic equipment etc. I've also carried my laptop through xray on airports a zillion times, never had a single problem.

The only thing you might want to pay attention is, that if you put it in the storage compartment above, instead of below the seat for example, make sure you put your coat/pullover or so around/next to it, so that it moves/gets thrown less around. Even though I have a prety solid bag for my laptop, harsh turbolence, or a tough landing makes the storage compartment like a mixer, so better put something soft around it to act as a damper. ;)