Lasagna!

IceBone

Blue Wheel Hipster
Car(s)
Audi A5 Quattro
Using an old family recipe (going back a few generations to a small village near Bologna), nicjasno and I made lasagna yesterday and recorded the whole thing.

Here's the ingredients you will be using:

First the ragout:
  • 2 large or 3 small onions
  • 2 cloves of garlic
  • 1.5 kg of minced beef
  • salt
  • pepper
  • parsley
  • basil
  • thime
  • bay laurel
  • tomato juice
  • red wine
And the B?chamel:
  • 100 grams of margarine
  • flour
  • 1 litre of milk
  • nutmeg
  • salt

And here's the preparation:

This is a very basic recipe, which allows for a lot of experimentation with the ratios of ingredients. I have a few ideas for the next time as it wasn't quite as good as how I remember by great aunt making it.

And it's even better reheated the next day. Speaking of... LAST PIECE AWAITS!

Last edited:
From my experience you might want to add two regular cans of chopped Italian tomatoes rather than juice to that as well as 1/3 bottle of red wine, make sure you simmer the whole thing for at least 90 minutes if not longer to make sure the meat is really tender and all the flavours have come together, and add the freshly chopped basil and crushed garlic just before serving for a real fresh zing - you don't burn the garlic by frying it first and you get a fresh taste but without the nasty garlic smell on your breath the next day.

For the bechamel tear 2-3 bay leaves in half and add to the milk then warm gently (but don't boil) and allow to steep while the ragout is cooking slowly and use real butter plus a dash of olive oil to make the roux for the bechamel sauce. Freshly grated nutmeg is always good.

I then layer pasta, ragout, bechamel and grated mozzarella to build up 3-4 layers finishing with mozzarella and some fresh parmesan and bake covered with foil for 30 minutes to prevent the cheese burning before removing it to brown the top for another 10 minutes.

Finally I always ignore the instructions on the lasagna sheet packs and use it dry - it stops the pasta getting too soggy and makes the whole thing easier to serve neatly for your guests.

All you need then is a well-dressed green salad with a few black olives, good company and lots of good red wine.

I would but my pasta machine is still in my ex's garage. I'll be moving soon and will be going to retrieve it. :D

The best lasagna I've ever had, and I kid you not, was the "Spinach and Basil White Lasagna" I made in my slow cooker. Yeah...I know, right? But daaamn. I can provide the recipe of anyone wants it. I'm sure the recipe could me made in the oven, too...it was just in my slowcooker cook book.

The best lasagna I've ever had, and I kid you not, was the "Spinach and Basil White Lasagna" I made in my slow cooker. Yeah...I know, right? But daaamn. I can provide the recipe of anyone wants it. I'm sure the recipe could me made in the oven, too...it was just in my slowcooker cook book.

What's the recipe? :D