Last movie you saw?

I just finished re-watching the Alien series of movies. I forgot how terrible Resurrection was.

My main complaint is the hybrid alien at the end. The rest of the movie is bearable.

Sunshine

6/10. I liked the first part where they explore the enormity of their mission and how crucial it is to the survival of the human race, backed up with some stunningly visual scenes but the last act fell a bit short - your typical bogeyman/monster setup.

The Place Beyond the Pines.

3/10. Boring as all hell. Ended up switching it off about halfway through.

The Place Beyond the Pines.

3/10. Boring as all hell. Ended up switching it off about halfway through.

Its a movie that would make a better book. The better movie would have been the true story of the Schenectady police. In the 90's it was out of control rape, burglary, mugging, threats, abuse, corruption. The FBI ended up putting together a case ended up with the chief of police going to jail for cocaine trafficking, an officer suicide, and department reorganization.

Sunshine

6/10. I liked the first part where they explore the enormity of their mission and how crucial it is to the survival of the human race, backed up with some stunningly visual scenes but the last act fell a bit short - your typical bogeyman/monster setup.

I'm in the same mind with Event Horizon. Love the movie, except for what is supposed to be the climax.

Check out Solaris, if you haven't seen it. It's with George Clooney, and reeeally slow-paced for most people, but I dug it immensely.

The Cabin in the Woods (2012)

I'm not a big horror movie guy, but I heard pretty good things about this movie. It was pretty good. Very entertaining and gives an interesting spin on the idea of horror movies. And the ending was just ridiculous. Highly recommend it. 8/10

Check out Solaris, if you haven't seen it. It's with George Clooney, and reeeally slow-paced for most people, but I dug it immensely.
Same here, I really liked that one. It's always good to see a decent budget sci-fi film that isn't a summer action blockbuster.

World War Z

It's not the book. If you can accept that, then it starts off disjointed and goes downhill from there. Maybe save it for a rental on a boring day.

The Cabin in the Woods (2012)

I'm not a big horror movie guy, but I heard pretty good things about this movie. It was pretty good. Very entertaining and gives an interesting spin on the idea of horror movies. And the ending was just ridiculous. Highly recommend it. 8/10

Yeah, it starts off pretty run of the mill but then the final act is just ridiculous and awesome :D

I'm in the same mind with Event Horizon. Love the movie, except for what is supposed to be the climax.

Same here, I really liked that one. It's always good to see a decent budget sci-fi film that isn't a summer action blockbuster.
Watch the original Solaris, not the Clooney remake. It's a superior movie in almost any way...

World War Z

It's not the book. If you can accept that, then it starts off disjointed and goes downhill from there. Maybe save it for a rental on a boring day.

...okay, scratch that one off the list.

Man of Steel.

A bit too much action vs character development (they did try to jam a lot of that in there, but didn't give it nearly enough screen time, so it was all too compressed), but very good none the less.

Watch the original Solaris, not the Clooney remake. It's a superior movie in almost any way...

Keep in mind it's from 1972, and in Russian...just so you know what you are getting to.

Spring Breakers.

Actually not as bad as I thought it would be. Pretty good overall and James Franco put on an amazing performance.

7/10.

Kingdom of Heaven... it's very good and underrated. Maybe undermarketed, I don't know. It's probably very inaccurate historically, but it's no Braveheart.

Keep in mind it's from 1972, and in Russian...just so you know what you are getting to.
It's also directed by Andrei Tarkovsky, one of the great geniuses of Russian film.

John Carter (2012)

Caught this one the other night. Since it was such a huge flop at the box office, I wasn't expecting much, which probably explains why I enjoyed it. They spent a lot of money on the film and it shows, but I can see why it didn't appeal to a larger audience. Shame that any chance of a sequel is unlikely at this time, since I hear the series of books was pretty good. I'd recommend it, if you like crazy sci-fi stuff and not being able to remember anyone's crazy names.

I've been meaning to watch it for years, but it's not the easiest thing to stumble upon. I'll probably just have to buy it off amazon or something.

John Carter (2012)

Caught this one the other night. Since it was such a huge flop at the box office, I wasn't expecting much, which probably explains why I enjoyed it. They spent a lot of money on the film and it shows, but I can see why it didn't appeal to a larger audience. Shame that any chance of a sequel is unlikely at this time, since I hear the series of books was pretty good. I'd recommend it, if you like crazy sci-fi stuff and not being able to remember anyone's crazy names.

Agree, the series looked like it could've had a good run, there were enough books and the plots sounded promising, but the acting was just so wooden, it fell down when it should've been better. It actually felt like a 90s TV movie with glammed up FX.

I read the second book of the series of John Carter and the way I imagined everything was better then the movie.

It had to be darker I gues and more stylish and more detailed about the soroundings and history of the universe where everything is taking place.

Ofcource, then they need 5 movies to cover one book. But still...

Last edited:
Saw "Monster U" last Sunday. Not bad, had a few good laugh, and my little one enjoyed it.

I read the second book of the series of John Carter and the way I imagined everything was better then the movie.

It had to be darker I gues and more stylish and more detailed about the soroundings and history of the universe where everything is taking place.

Ofcource, then they need 5 movies to cover one book. But still...

meh, if LOTR can get away with cutting so much and do it in three long ones, at least try, instead of making it half a kids' movie and then letting it fall flat