Last movie you saw?

Divergent
Not bad, but nothing special, a bit slow to get to some excitement, but I guess it's just warming up for the second part.
7/10

Captain America: The Winter Soldier
Saw this for the second time, it's still awesome! Probably the best action sequences of all Marvel movies (didn't see GoG yet though), and so many, not much time to relax.
8,5/10

The Iron Giant
How have I not seen this before?! It's great, adorable I'd say! Very well done, and the CGI Giant is very well done and doesn't feel out of place in a hand-drawn animated movie.
8/10

The Amazing Spider Man 2
Meh...I didn't expect much, but maybe got even less. Electro was one of the most boring supervillains I've ever seen, and the Goblin was underwhelming too.
The worst part for me was the soundtrack and the overal score, it was very distracting.
6,5/10

Her
This one was, different, heh. Feels a bit too long, but an interesting concept, especially for the time we are living in, and very well made with a good cast.
7,5/10.

Guardians of the Galaxy.
I'll be honest, I got dragged in to see it. Wasn't interested at all. But boy, how wrong I was.

Fantastic. 9/10

Saw it last night under similar circumstances, completely agree, it was great. In a way the movie feels like they're all self-aware, but at the same time not, it's awesome.

Celeste and Jesse forever

yeah, call me a woman or whatever because i watched this. i was bored and it's not very demanding to its audience. also i love rashida jones. for once, IMDB is rather spot on with it's rating (6,6). it's not particularly great, but it's not particularly bad either. i didn't like the ending much and i was expecting more comedic elements and less awkwardness... oh well :dunno:

Now You See Me

Complete waste of time. 3/10

I think if they spent less time on Mark Ruffalo's character and more on the magicians, the plot twist would've worked more for me.

That's how I felt too. I want my two hours back!

Sin City 2: A Dame to Kill For

I was a big fan of Sin City for two reasons:
- The visual style was nothing like anything else I had ever seen
- Jessica Alba is #1 all-time favorite.

So, going into this one, I went in fully ready to be let down mostly because of the poor reviews, since it's been 9 years and there have been many movies with similar visual styles, and Jessica Alba is now 9 years older, had a couple kids, etc. :p

Well, JA didn't wear outfits that were nearly as flattering as in the first movie...and there were never any "whoa that blew me away" moments with the effects/cinematography.

That said, I still enjoyed it...but no more than 6.5 or 7/10.

Grand Budapest. Not what i expected after all the hype, but a damn good movie none the less. 9/10.

Non-Stop.

Way below what I would expect from a Liam Neeson film. 6/10 and then I'm being generous.

Sooooo I was on a flight from Johannesburg to Orlando (via frankfurt) and Lufthansa had a movie called "Snowpiercer" on demand. I hadn't heard about it before, it stars Chris Evans.

Anyway, here is the description from IMDB

Set in a future where a failed climate-change experiment kills all life on the planet except for a lucky few who boarded the Snowpiercer, a train that travels around the globe, where a class system emerges.

I thought it was a fantastic movie, and really had my attention from the start. Kind of unusual/obscure but I highly suggest watching it.

Last edited:
Sounded super weird, but I've read some great reviews. Its on my list.

Let's be cops. Some good laughs, but no content. 3/10.

The Inbetweeners 2.

Probably not great second date material, it's not exactly safe rom-com territory, and apart from the scenes where I was cringing and thinking 'any minute she's going to say she needs to go to the toilet, she wont be coming back and that'll be it I'll never see her again', it was pretty funny.

6/10

(I got a kiss and a 'lets meet up again next weekend', so not all bad :D)

The Raid 2

You've got alot to live up to here... the first one was beautiful in it's simplicity, it had hardly any dialogue and the plot is "Just get to the top of the tower block."

Story was convoluted, all the hoops to go through just to kill them all anyway. He coulda saved himself prison time and just stabbed em all straight away.

I know it's a movie, where one guy gets knocked out, then the next guy has a go, I understand that. But not one of them had a gun?

I loved the characters Machete Man, Hammer Girl and Baseball Boy. :lol:

It was way too long.

Rating 8/10

I AM GROOT

aka Guardian of the Galaxy, for the second time, in a theater @ ?10,15.

Well worth the money, again. Movie stays awesome, the vfx, the jokes, the characters ...

And i don't know if it's the movie or i just had luck, but except from the occasional laughs with the jokes the crowd stayed quiet during the movie. No annoying kids taking, nobody messing with their phones. And this made the movie just more enojoyable.

9/10 Best Marvell movie for now.

The November Man

Highly enjoyable. Nothing groundbreaking, but still...

8/10

The Raid 2

It was way too long.

Rating 8/10

Just saw this, and agree entirely. I was pleased to see that Evans was being seriously ambitious this time around, working on expanding the Raid Universe into a much more complicated story rather than just "The Raid 2: Raid Harder" and he deserves credit for it, but...he went a bit too far. It's not enjoyably convoluted imho. The fight choreography is still mega, I liked the new characters and scenes are beautifully shot, but it doesn't quite do what the first movie did so well.

I agree with the 8/10. Still very much worth a watch.

X-Men: Days of Future Past

What in the fuck was that?

They didn't need past-Magneto to help them.
Did that happen in 'real-time'? Ellen Page was stood there for days, if not weeks, whilst Wolverine pissed about in the past? :|
Storm was absolutely pointless, Halle can't have worked more than 3 hours on this film and I wouldn't have paid her to do that stupid lightning arm, what a waste of CGI.

Rating: Confused/10

Draft Day

It was enjoyable. Kinda like a "day in the life of..." type of movie.

8/10 only if you like American football (what do you all call it, hand egg?)

Edge of Tomorrow

I expected really very little from this one and was positively surprised. Strangely (or not) the fact that Tom Cruise is getting killed a lot, makes this enjoyable. Overall it is quite a mess this movie, especially the ending. Ground-hog day meets starship troopers ... does not sound like a good idea for a story to start with. And the movie is really shitting itself towards the end. But there is fun to be had, the Action is not bad - and Tom Cruise is getting shot in the face a lot ...

6.5/10

Captain America - winter soldier

After hearing so much about it being better than the first one ... I had high expectations the movie did not quite meet. Still good fun. For me the movie could have done with the whole love-story "will they, won?t they" teasing. And the whole last "final fight"-bit - that did not really work for me. But apart from that - really a solid movie.

7/10

Godzilla (the new one)

That one surpassed my (very low) expectations. Yeah, the Story is a mess, the acting is not great ... but this is a Godzilla movie ... we?re in this for the fights, the glimpses of Monster and the Monster-screams ...
So yeah, one can throw a lot of criticism at the movie - but I found it entertaining on balance.

6/10

Warm Bodies

Good one. Slow paced, low production value ... still, I managed to warm to it (30% off on puns this week).
What I hated is that
they kept pointing out the whole "R(omeo) and July(ette)" thing over and over again. It was pretty obvious half the movie in and yet they kept "hinting" it untill the very end going outright "HAVE YOU GOT IT YET? THEY ARE ROMEO AND JULIETTE!!!" yeah, got that 30 Minutes ago, now stop doing that.
But apart from that - I enjoyed the movie a lot. Especially between all these big Action-type Rollercoster- "we?ve never heard of pacing" - Blockbusters I?ve seen the last weeks (or maybe exactly because of that) ... this one really stood out in a positive way.

7.5/10

Guardians of the Galaxy

Now I seem to be the only person in the world who does not think this is the single greatest Movie of all times ... but I don?t think it?s bad. It just did not work so well for me in a couple of ways. I found the characters and their relations and motivations not really relatable. At some point they must have had the decision in some meeting whether to have better Characterisations of the Protagonists - or more "I am Groot" lines. And IMO , they chose the wrong path. But yeah, we?re in this for the soundtrack, the action and the snappy one-liners. And that all works a charm. What does not really work, is the whole ending-buisness.
The whole big build-up where that planet dies if the baddy sets foot on the ground ... and then he set?s foot on the ground ... and there is still plenty time to save the planet ... you owe me the destruction of a planet, Guardians of the Galaxy!
I was also dissapointed with the 3D. If I pay the fucking premium for 3D (and I could not find a cinema wich showed this in 2D), don?t serve me this sort of "converted into 3D" crap.

7/10