Last movie you saw?

Jiro Dreams of Sushi

An incredible testament to a man dedicating his entire life to mastering his craft. A glimpse into a culture often missing nowadays, certainly something I would never even dream to experience. Also lots of sushi...

It no only is a good movie, but the soundtrack is awesome as well.

Lot's of Philip Glass. <3

Snowpiercer. Quite a few surreal scenes, but I suppose with the setting that's to be expected. The only thing that bothered me about the movie was the whole logistics of the train.

The Equalizer: It was a little slow at the start, but, pretty good fight scenes...straight to the point. Character gave sense of humble badassery.

8/10

A Walk Among the Tombstones: Great crime drama. Those sadistic kidnappers, though. Their gruesome brutality was well implied. The movie didn't show anything gross but you could just imagine what they did/were doing. Oh my fucking god, I wanted to kill them fuckers.

8/10

Last edited:
Frank

One of the rare occasions when I've had nothing to say after the credit roll. It's excellent. It's smart, but not pretentious, the characters and dialogue are so natural. Watch it.

Foxcatcher

Amazing its like a slow speed injection of good dope. You shudder, you tence, you feel numb! Amazing acting by everyone Carell, Ruffalo and Tatum all give performances that really dredge the human soul and vomit it across their faces.

I remember the news regarding John E. DuPont and the whole thing being so bizzaro. The whole thing makes you think there was more to it but no just the banality of evil and the insidiousness of mental illness.

I watched the Interview on Christmas Day (rented on Google Play) and it was exactly what I expected. A few funny bits a few racist bits, and some ridiculous "comedy" that I am sure some found hilarious. I was worth renting it at home, but no way I would have paid theater money for it.

This was a great movie. Had a Drive vibe to it. Very dark and disturbing. 9/10

Doesn't exactly count as a movie but saw this on TV New Year's Eve and can only recommend it:

http://www.amazon.com/Laurel-Hardy-...ywords=Laurel+and+hardy+Their+Lives+And+Magic

"Laurel and Hardy: Their Lives and Magic" is probably the best documentary about the famous comedy duo yet. It provides interviews with friends and family and even shows previously unreleased private footage. The nice thing is that it's not only interesting for ig L&H fans like me but also very entertaining and emotional and that makes it interesting even for those who hardly know them or haven't been very interested in them (yet).

After watching it on TV, I ordered the DVD :)

Lots and lots of things you consider funny today in comedy or movies wouldn't exist without them and when it comes to slapstick and comical timing, they're still unrivaled in (not only) my opinion.

Last edited:
Boondock Saints. Yeah I'm late, so shoot me. :p

It's decent but, a lot of my friends fawn over it like its the second coming...

L9zxkHYl.jpg

I don't know what I think of the move. I was only passively watching it while preparing dinner last night so I may have missed some key details that made it slightly confusing. The did enjoy the parts I did catch.

I lost it at this scene. The interaction between Walken and the thug was brilliant.

Last edited:
the_imitation_game_a_p.jpg

9/10

Top notch! It has the expected minor historical inaccuracies to enhance the drama (see Wikipedia for a list), but a very entertaining story that is well-acted, well-shot, and well-scored.

They're not showing it here. Bastards...

- - - Updated - - -

nvm, late addition, opens in 2 weeks.

Automata (2014): Pretty freakin' boring. That is all. :)

It was kinda annoying the robots allowed themselves to be slaughtered. They broke 1 of the 2 protocols. They should have broke the last one to ensure their survival.
3/10

Hobbit 3.

By now, the ridiculously long fight scenes have gotten tiresome, and there wasn't enough of much else to make up for it. I'm happier having finished watching this whole trilogy than I was while actually watching it.

Hobbit 3.

By now, the ridiculously long fight scenes have gotten tiresome, and there wasn't enough of much else to make up for it. I'm happier having finished watching this whole trilogy than I was while actually watching it.

I was rather bored watching it, and didn't really see the point. Perhaps the reason is that I haven't read the books (The Hoobit and The Lord of the Rings), and I am not a die-hard fan. From the perspective of a general viewer, it was way too similar to LOTR. I know, I know...this is kind of a prequel to LOTR, but still...let's run through the similarities
- there are hobbits, humans, elves, dwarfs, wizzards, and orcs. Check.
- the main characters, some of which are the same as in LOTR, go on a journey far, far away. Check.
- the "allies" don't get along until the orcs surprise them. Check.
- they have to defend a fortress built into a mountain. Check.
- there is a ring, and Sauron is there too. Check.

I'm sorry, but that's too much now. I liked the LOTR trilogy, and in my view, this new trilogy just cheapens it.

In a way it's like an AC/DC album - fans will love it, but to the rest of the world it sounds exactly the same as the previous one.

I think the problem is that they tried to make it two different things. The book was short and fun, an easy read. But a lot of people didn't care about it as a movie because it wasn't as dark and serious as LOTR. So with the movie they tried to stretch it out into an epic trilogy and add some world ending seriousness to it. I don't think that worked very well.

The guys at Half in the Bag talked about how much better the movie will be when there is a fan edit that cuts the whole thing down to 90 minutes. I think they have a point, but I think a pair of ~100 minute films would have been perfect.