Last movie you saw?

Monty Python's The Meaning of Life was their 5th. I think that might be the only good 5th movie, and that is only 5th if you include Live at the Hollywood Bowl in that group of 5 "movies".

Fast 5 was one of the best movies in the whole series, it marked the revival of the series, and was better than 6, 7 or 8, there are exceptions.

Which one was that? 4-8 all blend together for me.

Fast 5 was when it changed from a car movie into a heist action car movie, 4 was the useless border run one

They loaded Disney's live action remake of their version of Beauty and the Beast on Netflix, so I watched that the other day.

It was pretty good, but not as good as their animated version, which isn't nostalgia talking because I was never a big fan as a kid. But more than anything I just kept asking myself why they even bothered. The only substantive change they made was a scene where Belle finds out what happened to her mother, which didn't advance the plot in any way, or add anything to the story as far as I could see.

But the thing that did genuinely annoy me was near the very beginning Belle goes home to find her father tinkering with his inventions. She walks up behind him and knows which tools he's going to need before he has time to ask. Then later she invents the washing machine. Belle never had much in the way of flaws in the original animated version, but it seems they decided that any flaw would be unacceptable, so they made her into some sort of perfect super wonder woman. Which of course is boring. Perfect flawless characters are not interesting and she was no exception.

Kingsman, both parts ("The Secret Service" and "The Golden Circle").

Both were hilariously good fun. The first was a little better at being a parody of Moore-era Bond films, but the second one was good too. Also, Pedro Pascal does a splendidly good Burt Reynolds impression.

Baby Driver, was good.
The Mummy (2017) ... meh.
Spiderman Homecoming, bad.
Transformers the last knight, absurdly bad. I mean, c'mon ... King Arthur ... really ... serious? What the actual fuck!
Blade Runner, is good. I wish i never read the book, because now i can no longer enjoy the movie w/o thinking about what they didn't use and how much the parts they did use deviates from the book.
Pirates of the Caribbean dead men tell no tales, was entertaining enough for a PotC movie. But the Sparrow character is becoming a little bit annoying and more absurdly stupid in ever subsequent movie.
The Hitman's Bodyguard, quite entertaining. It doesn't take itself too serious, which is a good thing.

And not really an actual movie, but a concert movie: Talking Heads - Stop Making Sense. I fucking love it. Watched it 3 times in a row. The show is great and the music is so awesome.

Kingsman, both parts ("The Secret Service" and "The Golden Circle").

Both were hilariously good fun. The first was a little better at being a parody of Moore-era Bond films, but the second one was good too. Also, Pedro Pascal does a splendidly good Burt Reynolds impression.

Aw man, he looked so familiar, didn't know it was him, haha
Saw The Golder Circle yesterday, and it's not as good as the first one, it's a bit over the top in most things, I feel.

Aw man, he looked so familiar, didn't know it was him.
Me neither. The whole film I thought it's Burt Reynolds, but then again it can't be him, because he's much too old. And when the credits rolled I nearly facepalmed at my own cluelessness.

On the topic of Rotten Tomatoes: One should always be aware about what these ratings actually mean. Rotten tomatoes rates only yay or nay, a 10/10 Film get`s the same yay as a 5.5/10. Godlike and average movies in the very same brackett. On the negative side the same thing of course. 10% fresh may also mean that a lot of people vote 4/10 - not a good movie, but not a crime against humanity. As a whole, the rating systems Rotten Tomatoes uses favours mediocrity. It always pays to also read the lines below the actual "fresh" rating where you get the median votes like you get on imdb for a better overview.

Wonder Woman

Everyone seems to get excited when a DC film manages not to be terrible these days, and WW certainly is not terrible. But it's also not very good. Best DC Film in years.

5/10

Spider-man homecoming

I like Tom Holland. I think he's the best fit for the role they've found so far. But how much of a Spider-Man movie was this actually? Thanks to heavily featuring Iron Man and mentioning the Avengers like every 5 Minutes ... this felt very much like a filler, something to pass the time until the next Avengers movie comes out.
But the movie was funny and mostly well made ... story and characters were not so good and if they cut back the self-referential humor by 50%, there would still be plenty to go around, but it seems like the people at the studio think that people go see a marvel movie for them winking their eye going "see what we did there?" every other scene. If that is your unique selling point, you deserve the crash at the box office that is inevitable for one of the next movies ...
Anyway, I liked the movie when it was actually spider-man-ing it. Not so much the end fight and stuff, but there's a really good 40 minutes or so in that movie that shows promise. Marvel really frustrates me these days, so much promise - so much mediocrity.

5.5/10

John Wick: Chapter 2

On it's way to becoming a franchise like Resident Evil or Fast and Furious. It's a ok movie with great action and visuals - but the franchise is already stagnating. Original thoughts were already sparse in the first movie and they really haven't found any new ones when making this one. Same old, same old.

6.5/10

Alien: Covenant

Speaking of a franchise with little original ideas, eh? :drums:
Jokes aside, I will always defend Alien3 against the many people that dislike it and I even honestly like Alien Resurrection. I even have some nice words for Prometheus here and there ... but Covenant is really the worst Alien Movie (not counting AvP Movies). Yes, it's pretty and all, but the story and characters really are a slap in the face - with a flute.

4/10

The 24 hour war.

A nice documentary with awesome footage of the (rivalry) between Ford and Ferarri in the 60's.

Although at 1,5 hours it's a tad long for the subject.

Alien: Covenant

Speaking of a franchise with little original ideas, eh? :drums:
Jokes aside, I will always defend Alien3 against the many people that dislike it and I even honestly like Alien Resurrection. I even have some nice words for Prometheus here and there ... but Covenant is really the worst Alien Movie (not counting AvP Movies). Yes, it's pretty and all, but the story and characters really are a slap in the face - with a flute.

4/10

I've always loved Alien 3. One of the few movies that genuinely scared me when I was a kid.

Just came back from Kingsman: The Golden Circle. Overall definitely enjoyed it!

+ Just as >9000 in every aspect as expected
+ Nice throwbacks to the first movie, with some attention to detail
+ Awesome soundtrack

* Some people warned me of "excessive gore", but imho that's well within reasonable and nowhere near excessive. If anything, the "cutting-in-half" scene in the first one was worse

- Main villain was definitely not up to Samuel L. Jackson's standard from the 1st one, though that was really hard to match

I've always loved Alien 3. One of the few movies that genuinely scared me when I was a kid.

Alien 3 is a pretty good movie seen on it's own. Fincher was transitioning from Music video director to Film director and it is just a piece of Art visually, especially after the "in your face" but visually not groundbreaking Actionhorror that was Aliens. But it lacks originality when it comes to the script as it does a lot of things very similar to Alien (1) and Aliens. It's a very safe movie when you look at the story and setting. Not much experimenting here. But IMHO the aesthetics make up for a lot. The only real Problem this movie has, is that it will always be compared to Alien and Aliens.

Last edited:
Donnie Darko (Director's Cut)

It's a pretty interesting mystery/time travel story. The director's cut feels kind of too long in some parts, but after watching it I read up what was added, it definitely helped the story to make more sense.

About to watch Blade Runner the final cut before seeing the new one on Tuesday.