Last of the hatchbacks: 2002 Saab 9-3 SE 5-door

Labcoatguy

Forum Addict
Car(s)
#Jaguar #XKR #XJR, #Saab #9-3 #9-5 #900
Found this mechanically sound low-mileage southern car at a dealership in DC and snatched it up quickly. Plenty quick stock, but it's quiet and a bit soft, so I'm already planning mods.

I like the keyring. Not a huge fan of Saabs in general, but seems to be a nice example (and lacking color). :p And at least the DaveSaab was a fun drive in a different, slightly wobbly way. :D

Love that friggin' keyring.

Hah, I made that keychain for him. Kept one for myself for the inevitable day when I get a Saab myself...

Just installed my first mod, an open intake. Sounds much better now, but since it's on the passenger's side, it's not as impressive as the 9000. Definitely needs more go to go with the noise; I just need to decide if I want to go all-out with the turbo-back exhaust and stage 3 or just do stage 1 with it as-is.

Darvb2lWsAARFQy.jpg

Summer wheels and tires on.

Still have it, now it has the "SAAB TURBO" side stripes I seem to always get for these cars. Snapped a picture at a nearby defunct Saab dealer.
1621131400795.png

Last edited:
Figures that as soon as I get the space to work on cars this one decides to absolutely gush power steering fluid. Turns out that the hardline that does double duty as a fluid cooler is pretty much rusted through, and I have to take apart the front end to get to it. The oil cooler lines were also starting to rust, so might as well replace those too while I'm taking things apart up front.

1635785129449.jpeg

Bless you for preserving SAAB's and those little toilet tube things that goes from the vent control to the knob.

Hmm. Turbo oil lines looking rusty. Ordered replacement parts just in case; don't want a repeat of the sudden power steering fluid dump.