Last TV show you saw?

I don't think I could come up with a more uninteresting, low-effort, generic-sounding name for a show. :lmao:
I am with you on that, I felt the same. Very lame. It took me a recommendation by some friends - and the will to give a Spanish show a shot at all - to actually watch it.

The original Spanish title "La Casa de Papel" translates to "The House of Paper" and is positively lyrical in comparison. In Germany it's called "Haus des Geldes", which means "House of Money" - very similar and actually working better than a literal translation of the original.

I also watched another show recently. Technically, that was before Money Heist, so I'm late here...

Anyway, I'm talking about Deadwind season 1, a Finnish crime show originally titled Karppi. True to FG style, it appeared on my radar because one of the main characters conforms to the tradition of TV policemen driving a totally out of place private car instead of an appropiate and paid-by-the-taxpayer staff car. In this case, a BMW E31.
The series follows two police inspectors over ten episodes, solving the murder of a woman. It looks very Finnish - it's winter, mostly it's dark and snowy, and the characters don't voice much emotion. Although that could also be the German dubbing, which makes it sound like a school class has to read out the script while lacking any kind of motivation to do so.
Nevertheless, it looked promising. If it weren't for...
  • ...the involvement of the children. Both Karppi's own children and the murder victim's daughters contribute absolutely nothing to the plot, but manage to be annoying in every scene they are in (in case of the latter, the German voices really don't help). Additionally, Karppi being portrayed as a bad mother because of her grief over her husband and her thinking only about work comes across very heavy-handed. And again, contributes absolutely nothing.
  • ... the solution/plot twist. So, the show spent ten episodes on a international industrial conspiracy involving the company the murder victim worked for, the investigation itself triggered multiple additional deaths, and all along she was murdered by her stalker neighbour who turns out to know her from their teenage years, but now lives under another name? This came so out of nowhere and rendered the majority of characters and plot scenes, well, complete episodes, in the whole season absolutely irrelevant.
So, no, I won't watch the second season.

I had so much fun watching Squid Game, it is definitely worth the hype. Koreans really know how to make a good story, I will not be a spoiler you guys should watch it.

Finished Ganglands tonight.

A French (original title "Braqueurs") mini-serie on Netflix, only 6 episodes.

Absolutely loved it. I hope there is a second season.

I've been watching Dark in an attempt to find something that catches my attention that's not an old top gear episode or something else I've seen multiple times before. Not working, but still a good show.

I just watched the final season of Goliath. Good series about a troubled lawyer who fights the good fight. It is not the most amazing thing ever, but it is good and worth a watch.

I also watched the third season of Sex Education. It is a really good series.

Finished Ganglands tonight.

A French (original title "Braqueurs") mini-serie on Netflix, only 6 episodes.

Absolutely loved it. I hope there is a second season.
I needed just two evenings to binge through it. Brilliantly gritty.
For me, it's more Belgian than French, given that it takes place in Belgium. :D

To be honest, while I thoroughly enjoyed it, I'm not sure about a second season. Because not much is left after the ending of the first season. The openness of the ending disappointed me a bit - I was hoping for a definite conclusion.

The sixth and (unfortunately) last season of "The Expanse" starts on December 10th.

Real shame that it's the last season, there's so much more potential in the Expanse universe. Well, there was, I suppose if that remains the case will depends on the events of this season. I read the first book but didn't get around to buying/reading any more yet.

It is no longer expanding?

I'm watching the Netflix live-action Cowboy BeBob; I'm liking it.

I just gave in and watched the first episode of the Dexter revival: Dexter: New Blood.
It was way better than expected, so I will keep on watching. After season 8 of the series proper, it at least can't ruin my memory of the series any worse. :D

Season 5.1 of Money Heist.
The fifth season tells the finale of the saga and how the situation with the robbery escalates totally out of control at the end.
This makes for good action - the budget increase made possible by the massive success of the series so far is very obviously used to trash the set, thoroughly.
On the one hand, the plot makes kind of sense as the antagonists just go off the deep end because they can't take it anymore to be permanently outwitted by the Professor. On the other hand, this progression towards a grand action finale - and one of season length, it seems - throws the very premise of the show out the window: That this is NOT another US-style shoot-up-everything type of show. The low-key action of earlier seasons, which had the (anti-)heroes rely on wit, is just gone.
The fact that the show manages to throw in believable character moments is admirable - but I still find the radical change in tone rather off-putting. Nevertheless, can't wait for the second part...
And I just finished the final part of the final, namely season 5.2.

I quoted the spoilered review of the first half of the season because to me, the second half was a return to form for the show. I really really liked it, even if the major surprise/plot twist at the same time came out of the blue and also was a classic case of "I should have seen that coming". But when following a story, I usually just enjoy the ride and try not to think to far ahead. :D

All in all, I can really recommend this show. Don't let yourself be put off by the lame English title or the slightly irritating dorkiness of the main character.

I recently watched Another Period. It is twisted humor set in the early 1900s. More than worthy of a watch, but it is somewhat crude at times.

The bar/pizza place I went to tonight is often running "My Name Is Earl" on one of the TVs, with CC on.

I love that show so much :LOL:

It was a great show with great casting and acting. Too bad it didn't run longer.
I'm just glad it was able to have an ending. I don't remember what it was, but I was glad it wasn't cancelled with a season-ending cliff-hanger.

The sixth and (unfortunately) last season of "The Expanse" starts on December 10th.
.... aaaaaand it's finished. Short season, only six episodes. And it showed, unfortunately. It distinctly felt like they didn't have enough screentime for the amount of story they had to tell. I've been told (by @leviathan) that they have some more content (movie(s), miniseries) in the pipeline. I sure hope so.
As it is, the ending was sort of anti-climactic and a bit disappointing.

I just gave in and watched the first episode of the Dexter revival: Dexter: New Blood.
It was way better than expected, so I will keep on watching. After season 8 of the series proper, it at least can't ruin my memory of the series any worse. :D
This has also ended. It was really good. The final ep wasted at least one opportunity for a really, really good ending though - and for no good reason. As it is now, the conclusion at least is more logical and gives the whole story a better closure than season 8 did.
Why did they bother to included Angel Batista at all, even have him going to Iron Lake, when in the end he doesn't even arrive there before the series ends?

Last edited:
Short season, only six episodes. And it showed, unfortunately. It distinctly felt like they didn't have enough screentime for the amount of story they had to tell. I've been told (by @leviathan) that they have some more content (movie(s), miniseries) in the pipeline. I sure hope so.
As it is, the ending was sort of anti-climactic and a bit disappointing.
Completely agree, the "last" season felt like they had to cram all the content they had into 6 episodes for some reason - it would've done it good to spread out over 2-3 more. The pacing would've been massively improved, and some arks could've been shown with more details and hints of things to come (within the season or afterwards).

The last episode *needed* a cut after the Ring station assault ending with them losing the railguns, being helpless against Marco's Free Navy bearing down on the Ring. And the actual, "last last" episode would've focused more on Naomi figuring out the "Ring entities" problem, its dependency on the mass/momentum transiting the Ring system, and desperately preparing a last-minute plan to trigger the effect just in time to Dutchman (book term for ships getting lost during Ring transfer) the entire Free Navy. Also the transfer itself should've been shown in more detail - the scene of Marco getting devoured was cool, but it really needed some exterior shots of not just the Pella, but also all the other ships going dutchman, to solidify how impossible an actual fight would've been.

But given the limited runtime, and the fact that they still included the scenes at the beginning of each episode, is in my opinion a sure indication that they have a solid way to finish telling the whole story.