Laud the Americans

Flares, chaff and electronic/thermal countermeasures do wonders against guided missiles and radar controlled AAA, however the best tracking system in the world - and one that can't be fooled by flares - is the human eye. These helicopters fly very low to the ground, usually within range of small arms fire and RPGs. They put themselves in vulnerable positions in order to protect the guys on the ground.

Thanks for explaining it. I somehow had this image of insurgents downing choppers with missles in my mind. Like you said, arms fire does make a lot more sense and I see how that is a problem with no easy fix around the corner.

I think it says something when this thread has more posts in a shorter time compared to the Flame the Yanks thread. Maybe everyone doesn't hate Americans as much as it seems.

I don't think you'll find lots of people on the site who hate America. The problem occurs when the smug "I know it all" Euro guy and the incredibly patriotic American type meet online. The result is always messy.

Last edited:
I don't think you'll find lots of people on the site who hate America. The problem occurs when the smug "I know it all" Euro guy and the incredibly patriotic American type meet online. The result is always messy.

Very true, but when the chips are down the US is the first to send troops and aid. The Europeans were the first to offer aid after Katrina, but our idiotic FEMA head could pour piss out of a boot if the instructions were written on the heel.

The point is that when one of us is in need of assistance the other drops what they are doing to help. All our petty squabbling aside, we support each other when it really matters.