LCD Monitors

I've been using Viewsonic and love it, no ghosting. Then I got a new 19", again no ghosting.

For no reason, should you ever use the Analog cable over the DVI cable in LCD monitors, it will look HORRIBLE!

Go with a good name, as you know they are quality panels, Viewsonic/LG/Sony/NEC/Samsung/FSC, all make good stuff.

Acer/Benq make very good LCD's and the prices are fabulous too.

Get 12ms or under response rate and a good contrast ratio (nothing less than 500:1)

Lots of choices out there, and budget makes a good difference on what you eventually buy, but make an informed decision, this is something you will use alot :)

Once I switched to LCD 4 years ago, I never went back ;)

Acer IS Benq and vice verse so it's really between the Viewsonic and the Benq. In my experience Benq 19s have been nice. It's the 17s you don't want to go near. I haven't compared the VS and the Benq, but a couple of my friends here have Benq 19s and they are quite good. I must say not quite as nice as the LG 19 my other friend has, but y'know...

TechZ said:
For no reason, should you ever use the Analog cable over the DVI cable in LCD monitors, it will look HORRIBLE!

Get 12ms or under response rate and a good contrast ratio (nothing less than 500:1)
Whats the analog cable? Is that the big blue one with small screws that attatch itself to the port?

Also, the Viewsonic I liked matches those specs you reckon are acceptable so I think I'm going to go for the Viewsonic. It also has a better contrast ratio (500:1) than the Benq (450:1).

My monitor is connected via VGA (I think) and it works fine.

I don't even know if my Dell has a DVI port :?

Anyway, I think I'll definatly get the Viewsonic. Its just a matter of getting off my arse and getting into the city.

BTW: My dads comp already has ok-ish speakers. I dought he'd wanna utilize the speakers on the monitor as they are shit. Is there any way to disable them?

EDIT: LOL I forgot its for my dads comp not mine :roll: Its a proper custom built one and yeah it has a DVI port.

I believe the monitor speakers have their own cable, so just don't plug it in.

SL65AMG~V12~604BHP!!!!!!! said:
My monitor is connected via VGA (I think) and it works fine.

I don't even know if my Dell has a DVI port :?

Anyway, I think I'll definatly get the Viewsonic. Its just a matter of getting off my arse and getting into the city.

BTW: My dads comp already has ok-ish speakers. I dought he'd wanna utilize the speakers on the monitor as they are shit. Is there any way to disable them?

I know my Dell has a DVI (and a VGA) connection. I'd say the connection method isn't a big deal, DVI is more "future-proof". DVI is the method of video connection in the future.

sometimes it is possible to remove speakers from the bottom of a monitor (i'm not familiar with the model), but I think its also an option to just not connect them (since they are likely connected just like regular speakers)

I've bought both a really really expensive sony monitor, and a really cheap fuji monitor,

The biggest difference for me was the sony looks absolutely stunning, and the fuji is just a monitor.

Both of them had good responce time though, and were quite bearable in daily gaming/video use. I won't use the fuji for editing pictures though, it just doesnt have the detail in blacks and whites that the sony does.

Bump :wave:

To remind you what this thread was about - I needed to find a good quality 19" LCD. Back in January, I narrowed it down to this Viewsonic. It had 12MS.

Just last night, my 15" Dell LCD finally gave up on me. I really needed a monitor as I'm busy with school so I went to purchase the Viewsonic you guys helped me pick back in Jan.

It turns out that the Viewsonic we picked out in Jan has since been updated. I got the updated model for exactly the same price and it has even better specs! It now has 8MS instead of 12MS. All I can say is...WHAT A FKN DIFFERENCE!! It is soo high quality and I am really pleased with it! Thanks for the help.

Pics coming...

Here are pics of the monitor with pics off TechZ's wonderfull website :p

http://img96.imageshack.**/img96/8126/pict1570small9oc.jpg
http://img358.imageshack.**/img358/162/pict1584small5md.jpg
http://img358.imageshack.**/img358/3918/pict1586small5lv.jpg

I've now removed the speakers I had before as this new monitor has surprisingly good in built speakers. I don't care for high quality as all I really do is listen to music and watch TG and stuff on it.

It is soo clear and soo bright and soo big :D Only problem is my 1600x1200 wallpapers now look out of proportion when I set them as desktop background. So I will need to find another res...

It also came with a CD. Is it worth installing any of the shit thats on it?

ah... i missed this thread, havn't been on the forums for a while.

I got a Samsung 730BF, i've had it for a good 5-7months now and it's a fantastic monitor. Can't complain with 4ms response times now can i? :p

My suggestions would've been:
Samsung 930BF (4ms, $555AUD) - Analog and Digital inputs
Samsung 940B (8ms, $504AUD) - Analog and Digital inputs
Samsung 940N (8ms, $395AUD) - Analog input only

As you can see i'm a little biased towards samsung but then it's not without reason. They are very good monitors.

Congrats on the buy! 19 inch is HUGE!!! I thought my 17" was already big.

The problem with response time and contrast ratio ratings is that different manufacturers use difference ratings systems, well more like get the ratings under different conditions.

I don't rate Samsung all that highly personally. The Dells, Iiyamas, Viewsonics and Eizos of this world are all better imo.

I've got no idea about Dell = Samsung but i know that Acer = Benq.

Being in Australia brands such as Eizo or Iiyama are hard to come by locally (ie never seen them in any store... lol). There is no doubt that Dell make some fantastic monitors. I was actually waiting on a 19" dell LCD but then the courier broke it!!! So I opted for the Samsung 730BF.

To be honest I didn't really look into Viewsonic monitors when i was looking for my LCD, I didn't find that many rave reviews about Viewsonic monitors compared to samsung's. Don't get me wrong the reviews i've read about Viewsonic gear has been pretty good, but the Samsung stuff is just that little bit better in the reviews. Maybe the reviewers were biased... :dunno:

frigging couriers - I've had two monitors broken by em. Had an Eizo 21" broken which they refused to give me insurance on because I'd already signed for it - they left it out in the rain overnight - bloody idiots! And then, learning from that mistake, I now keep the courier at my house for a good 30mins whilst I check that the monitor is fully functional - it's a PITA, but it's necessary. Had a smashed Dell 17" monitor that I had to claim back not so long back. Couriers are bloody useless.

Overheat said:
frigging couriers - I've had two monitors broken by em. Had an Eizo 21" broken which they refused to give me insurance on because I'd already signed for it - they left it out in the rain overnight - bloody idiots! And then, learning from that mistake, I now keep the courier at my house for a good 30mins whilst I check that the monitor is fully functional - it's a PITA, but it's necessary. Had a smashed Dell 17" monitor that I had to claim back not so long back. Couriers are bloody useless.

You know if you write the word 'Unchecked' next to your signature, you can still make a claim if it's damaged when you open the box...

Overheat said:

Somehow my 19" Dell was damaged by being run through with a pole, beats the F#@K outta me how something like that could happen.

Just recently i had purchased a car amp from interstate for overnight delivery. I made sure that there was someone available to sign for it the following few days. No package arrived, checked the tracking number online and it says its been signed for!!! A few more phone calls and i was told the package has been sent back to the sender and was sitting at the depot in the sender's state. A few more phone calls and i discover that the packge is still at my local depot....

I get the run around with things like "The driver has been to your place many times but there was nobody to sign for the package so they left a delivery notice" Which is a load of crap there was always someone there to sign for it, i even stayed home myself on a few of those days. I also didn't even see the delivery notice.

Makes me wonder what's there to stop couriers from taking items and signing for it themselves? Driver takes the package, signs with a fake signiture. Reciever of the package calls about not getting the package, senders claim with insurance.

Bump!

Sorry guys, but do you guys know any good gaming monitors? I remember PC gamer had a special on some but all i remember that it was a dell of some time...