leaky injector pump on Toyota 2L-T; or, HELP HOW DO I FIND PARTS

thevictor390

Teen Wankeler
Car(s)
'17 Mazda MX-5 RF, '89 Toyota Blizzard SX5
As some of you may know, I bought a very silly vehicle. Why no PYC thread? I haven't seen it for two weeks.

1989 Toyota Blizzard SX-5, RHD Japanese import, 5 speed, 4WD, Toyota 2L-T engine also found in Hilux, Land Cruiser and a few others

So the Toyota made the 2.5 hour trip home uneventfully, registration was miraculously smooth (first time car has been registered in the US), insurance was no problem, I got my plates and was good to go. Slapped the plates on, went for a first drive, got back, and helloooooooo puddle of diesel.

After a couple of days of bringing it around to my trusted mechanics (you bought a WHAT?), the problem progressed to the point where the truck barely runs and needs to be towed. So AAA brought it to its current destination, a shop in Douglas which specializes in small diesels. The guy assured me he would have no trouble working on such a beast, and I believe him.

However, working on it is not the same as finding PARTS. The Injector pump needs to be rebuilt or replaced. So far the guy has been searching for a "rebuild kit" unsuccessfully. The one place I have managed to find that sells the pump is out of Japan, and they want $3.5k which is, of course, absurd. Toyota part # 22100-54660, Denso part # 096000-3921.

I do not know what a "rebuild kit" entails. I found an old post on another forum where a guy used a Toyota forklift part but he wasn't specific (this will be posted to other forums as well).

I went into this fully expecting this sort of problem, of course, but I'd really appreciate any insight on how to find parts for an obscure vehicle, and what exactly I should be looking for as a "rebuild kit."

Thanks!

Good luck.

Yes Amayama Trading was the company I found myself I think, but I didn't get to that comprehensive list, thank you very much!

Just talked to the mechanic and he is about to tear it apart and try to tackle it with parts he can source that are similar, he says he only needs gaskets and o-rings.

The 2L-T did make it to the US - the last US application for it was the 1985 Toyota Pickup. All the seals for these are still available through Toyota USA and should be the same for your Blizzard.

Useful link: http://toyotadiesel.com/forums/showthread.php?650-Upper-pump-seal-leak&p=3159#post3159

You would also be well advised to try Kubota equipment dealers; Kubota diesel tractors sold in the same time period used the same Nippon Denso injector pump and will be able to provide parts and perhaps rebuild services.

(At one point I was considering buying a vintage - because we only got them through the mid 80s - Toyota or Nissan diesel pickup truck and did much research. Then I found out the damn things cost more than a far newer PowerStroke for some stupid reason and bought one of those instead.)

Last edited:
if you need an injection pump or other parts, I can arrange them here and shipped over to you - PM me if you need anything.

Thanks, I'll let you know if I get stuck!

The 2L-T did make it to the US - the last US application for it was the 1985 Toyota Pickup. All the seals for these are still available through Toyota USA and should be the same for your Blizzard.

Useful link: http://toyotadiesel.com/forums/showthread.php?650-Upper-pump-seal-leak&p=3159#post3159

You would also be well advised to try Kubota equipment dealers; Kubota diesel tractors sold in the same time period used the same Nippon Denso injector pump and will be able to provide parts and perhaps rebuild services.

(At one point I was considering buying a vintage - because we only got them through the mid 80s - Toyota or Nissan diesel pickup truck and did much research. Then I found out the damn things cost more than a far newer PowerStroke for some stupid reason and bought one of those instead.)

I actually talked to a Toyota dealer about the 2L-T in the 80s pickup - they said it was completely out of their system due to age. Of course not all dealers are created equal so I could try another. That rebuild thread looks very useful! Also a very interesting note on Kubota.

Side note, the engine was NOT sold in Massachusetts due to emissions restrictions <_<

Thanks, I'll let you know if I get stuck!

I actually talked to a Toyota dealer about the 2L-T in the 80s pickup - they said it was completely out of their system due to age. Of course not all dealers are created equal so I could try another. That rebuild thread looks very useful! Also a very interesting note on Kubota.

Side note, the engine was NOT sold in Massachusetts due to emissions restrictions <_<

Look around some on Toyotadiesel - there's some threads there with updated part numbers that should be useful. Sadly, I am not where I can look for them at the moment.

That dealer was lying, incompetent, or both. The 85 Pickup with the 2L-T is still in dealers' parts systems.
http://www.toyotapartsdirect.com/parts.html

I also commend Fusz Toyota in St. Louis, MO to your attention. They have an excellent parts department and specialize in phone ordering. Their website blows, though: http://toyota.fusz.com/orderparts.aspx

Toyota's lookup cutoff is 1980 for their regular parts system but they have a supplemental system that's harder to use that dealers can use to look up parts back to 68.

Last edited:
Unfortunately the injection pump appears to be a different part # on the US-spec 2L-T, don't know what that means in terms of actual parts difference.

The mechanic has been delayed by unrelated shop issues so he should hopefully be attacking it soon, and will determine if anything needs to be replaced besides gaskets.

The difference is in the internal workings, which determine the fueling - the fueling map as it were. The seals, fittings, etc., should all be the same.

A lot has happened and I realized I haven't been updating this thread...

My guy actually found the parts he needed through toyotapartsdirect (thanks again Spectre) and was able to seal the leaks, but the pump still wasn't pushing enough fuel.

Opening it back up, he found some wear that was apparently caused by rust, which can only be explained by the vehicle sitting for a long time with water in the fuel system :(

He's working on an estimate for replacing the parts through toyotapartsdirect, but he also has another idea: he claims to be able to fit the pump from a similar vintage Volkswagen Rabbit, which would be far cheaper. The only thing that would not work is some kind of adjustment that is used for cold starts, but he said it should not matter due to the glow plugs.

Obviously I'm wary of option 2 and unfortunately I didn't fully understand his explanation in order to properly repeat it here, but ultimately the decision will be made based on parts availability and pricing which I will find out today.

Update 2: Parts are ordered (OEM), will arrive in 2 weeks, and the cost to repair is reasonable considering the situation. Thanks for your help everybody, luckily we were able to work things out through the normal channels.

Did you remember to set the 'they don't make parts for that any more' dealership on fire? If not, why not? :p

:clap:

2 weeks is Jan 2! I'll still be in MA then. I want to see it!

Did you remember to set the 'they don't make parts for that any more' dealership on fire? If not, why not? :p

It wouldn't be right unless the incendiaries are transported using the truck itself. So give me about two weeks.