Learner driver rolls car

I've had one experience of having to react in an emergency when I had a small truck pull out from a side street with so where near enough time to be possibly safe with me coming at them doing 70 km/h. I had the choice of either trying to swerve around them into the lane next to me without knowing whether there was another car next to me or not. Turned out there actually was, and I could have either sideswiped them or lost control (no ESC or anything like that on my car) in the wet (it was bucketing down) and either ended up spinning around or flying over the median into oncoming traffic. I chose to hit the brakes. The ABS kicked in and stopped me from sliding underneath the tray on the back of the truck. When I did get past I saw the wanker was on his phone and never even saw what had nearly happened. Luckily no-one was tailgating me.

Now this is not to say that I'd always make the right decision in an emergency situation again, simply because there's so little time to react and so many factors to consider. However, I just can't imagine me letting go of the wheel, in fact, I think my instinct would be to hold it in a steady position so I would be bracing with something during the impact. Also, that way the airbag would actually stop my head from hitting the steering wheel instead of cannoning into my arms and perhaps causing more injury.

Last edited:
in fact, I think my instinct would be to hold it in a steady position so I would be bracing with something during the impact. Also, that way the airbag would actually stop my head from hitting the steering wheel instead of cannoning into my arms and perhaps causing more injury.

Doesn't this lead to the possibility of broken thumbs?

^ Only if you position your thubs in a way that they are directly over the area wherethe airbag will deploy from. 10 and 2 won't cause any major thumb damage. Thankyou Mythbusters :)

I saw a BSM FIAT 500 in the same colour yesterday.
It was the correct way up, though. :lol:

Yahoo news:

2193540342-learner-flips-car-roof.jpg

Fight or flight response, possibly related to women generally doing the gathering while men hunted back in the dawn of man. Covering the face and running away is great if you're picking fruits and run into some bees, less great when you're driving a Fiat with Peppy as the driving instructor.

^ Is there proven science behind that? Or does it just make sense at a surface level, but is unproven.

^ Is there proven science behind that? Or does it just make sense at a surface level, but is unproven.

AFAIK, there's no proven science as to where the reaction comes from, only that it does exist. Same thing with the "turning left" instinct.

It's the kind of thing that can't be proven without a time machine really, like pretty much all of those weird habits that all animals have. Fight or flight responses have been pretty well researched though, and you've got to admit that my theory makes a great deal of sense. When man was evolving, it would have been a huge advantage for a woman to have eyes if she was a gatherer, something which there is evidence of - nature cooks up some nasty shit, but often has some clear signs that it is nasty shit - and to protect herself when something unexpected happened, in this case, keeps the eyes safe.

Last edited:
[video=youtube;mH-dLVppzC4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mH-dLVppzC4[/video]

:D

[video=youtube;mH-dLVppzC4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mH-dLVppzC4[/video]

:D
Are they already supposed to have their licence? :eek:

Are they already supposed to have their licence? :eek:
The one driving has a license. I wonder how she got it :think:
Clearly it's important to shield your eyes in many cases :D

Last edited:
The one driving has a license. I wonder how she got it :think:
Clearly it's important to shield your eyes in many cases :D

Yeah, really. That little obstacle course they had them on... I've done similar in a 36 foot long truck. Except there weren't just piles of scrap around, there were moving multi-ton front end loaders with blind spots big enough to swallow the damned truck I was driving.

man, they are ugly!

arent scandinavian chicks all supposed to be gorgious 1.80m slender blondes with loose morals and huge racks? the travel brochures are a scam I tell ya!

man, they are ugly!

arent scandinavian chicks all supposed to be gorgious 1.80m slender blondes with loose morals and huge racks? the travel brochures are a scam I tell ya!

I know! They're fake blondes from the deep forests of V?rmland though. Fortunately the girl on the right was also in the show :wub:

https://pic.armedcats.net/k/kn/knarkas/2010/04/19/242082_729_488_1.jpg

Since this is television it's casted, participants are interviewed and drive the courses in advance. Some are obviously faking it but the scary thing is that the fake blondes from the forest feel genuine.

On the related matter of "hands off wheel", here's some french blonde.