Learning Manual (Coming from Motorcycle)

^correct. or studded tyres

but I don't live in the Norwaylands so icy/slippery roads are very very rare

Once you get to know your clutch and your car you really shouldn't need to use the e-brake on hills, just apply more gas.

I don't get manual cars that have a handbrake pedal.

I think a hired Renault once had that and some Mercs do?

Either way, I can't work out what kind of foot-contortion is needed in order to use a handbrake pedal, the clutch, the brakes and the accelerator all (roughly) at once.

Um, put the e-brake in, green light, release foot brake, build revs, release e-brake and let out clutch.

That said I've never seen a foot e brake in a manual car.

Once you get to know your clutch and your car you really shouldn't need to use the e-brake on hills, just apply more gas.
You'll wear out your clutch much quicker that way.

Um, put the e-brake in, green light, release foot brake, build revs, release e-brake and let out clutch.

That said I've never seen a foot e brake in a manual car.
I have. Since the e-brake is for use when the car is stopped, what's the difference? I have driven Mercs with foot e-brakes, and I never had a problem with it.

Difference is of course that you can roll backwards before you get on the throttle.

But you operate the (normal) brake with your right foot, and the foot-e-brake with your left one, so u can brake while u brake dawg ... hang on, I've heard that before ... :think:

Thanks for all the replies. I'll definitely start scouring local ads and craigslist for a Civic or other similar used car.

Punisher Bass:
Awesome video. Makes me feel proud to own a regal.

with regards to the foot e brake : does any other car than a merc still have these?
one of my ex's brothers wanted to learn to drive, but his dad couldn't let him, since the law requires the "instructor" (his dad) to have access to the e-brake, and since all they had was an e class Merc, with foot e brake, he never got to learn to drive with that car

all in all, foot e brakes are FTL and epic fail

Remember, don't be granny shiftin' not double clutchin' like you should.

with regards to the foot e brake : does any other car than a merc still have these?
all in all, foot e brakes are FTL and epic fail
Larger Hyundais have foot brake.

new Chevy Malibu has foot handbrake... and coincidentally, no manual option as well.

You'll wear out your clutch much quicker that way.

Uhh noo... Quick clutch, a little more gas because your on a hill (which you would have to do even with the brake on) and no roll back.

I have nothin to to add except merry xmas and good luck - you'll breeze it.

I learned on a bike then transferred over and I am about 1000% better at observation than the usual driver - srsly.