LED headlight conversion

prizrak

Forum Addict
Car(s)
11 Xterra Pro-4x, 12 'stang GT
Since the Xterra has boring old halogens, I was thinking of upgrading the lights to LED but I'm not sure if it's going to need a different housing to really make sense (kind of like putting HIDs into normal housing is dumb because there is too much scatter) and also what kits are good?

Those are the bulbs I was looking at, it kind of seems like they would be too bright/scattered

Sounds like it's not worth it for main lights, maybe off road roof mounted stuff and fogs but better off getting a good halogen for the mains

From my understanding the lights have to be designed specifically for LEDs. Through the Land Rover scene I've come across lots of round 7" LED units that have improved over the years but nothing for factory lights.

So clearly the challenge is for you, Craig, to design and build an aluminium unit to replace the entire light pod of the Frontier, take a 7" LED unit with aiming adjustment and look like the fucking Terminator. :D

I've been looking into these as a potential motorcycle upgrade. Currently I'm thinking that the add in bulbs just aren't effective and the only real solution is a full lighting unit replacement at current. If anything, they seem to generally be a worse idea than sticking an HID in most non-HID housings.

At this point of any LED conversions that worked without glitches i can only vote for HID lenses with them.
Car-Styling-Q5-HID-Square-Bi-xenon-Lens-Projector-Headlight-Full-Metal-Headlamp-Xenon-Lenses-Use.jpg

But even tho, there's no way for "accidental rays" to get out, still pretty much pain in the butt to find/make good adapters, so crystal would match gas chamber in nominal position.

Having plans for Frontera's miserable lights, i gotta play it safe and wait for LED assemblies to appear on the market.

My other issue with retrofits is that they look like they would blind other cars and considering where I drive the possible upgrade in brightness is just not worth being "that guy"

On related note what would be the best halogen bulb to use?

On related note what would be the best halogen bulb to use?

We've had these discussions before. If you want the best in terms of light output, you have to be willing to sacrifice longevity. No other way around it. SilverStars seem to be the best here.

For looks, I am using Phillips DiamondVision Euro bulbs (so not exactly DOT-approved). They are rated at the same light output as stock bulbs, they last a long time, and they produce the whitest light I've seen from a halogen bulb. But if you want the best brightness these are not the solution.

Well, being affected to warm'n'cozy i use 3000K MTF Aurum series.
_____.jpg

Btw, from personal experience, koreans seem to hold against stresses of road longer than euros and chineese.